Ubi-Thorlof's Avatar Anno Community Developer

The Settlers are back - Game Announcement

25 years after the debut of The Settlers, the legendary build-up strategy series returns to Windows PC, under the leadership of Volker Wertich, the inventor of the series.

Forced to leave their homelands after a devastating earthquake of mysterious origins, the Settlers set sail towards the unknown in the hopes of finding a new home.

All info about the new Settlers (and soon a lot more) you can find here on the
    Settlers Alliance
     5 people found this helpful

please don't dumb this one down! please make it like settlers 1 or 2!!
     4 people found this helpful

Fantastic News!

I hope that the development team take the opportunity to play test the early games (especially 2, 3 and 4) from the upcoming 'History Collection' so that they appreciate what made those games so enjoyable to play.

On the downside, looks like the 'History Collection' means I'm going to be buying some of these games for the third time - CD/DVD, GoG and now 'History Collection'
     3 people found this helpful

RobvD84's Avatar Senior Member
    Ubilol, please listen to the fans. And i mean really listen. If we say no, don't do it, then please don't do it. Look at what happnend with Heroes of Might and Magic (yes i refuse to call it the way you want to).

Also please get rid of the control area, or atleast bring it back as it was with S1-S4. Or do it like Knights and Merchants did, without area of control. For some games it works, but for The Settlers the old way worked.

Also if it is possible i would like to see some sort of progression a la Age of Empires (altho this might be something that is too heavy burden to do for a attempt to revive this franchise). It would be really cool to see buildings changing and seeing them become better and more practical, or your settlers getting better at what they do, soldiers getting stronger/experienced in battle, etc.. But maybe just making a good game with as less problems as possible is something that has higher priority.

At this point i am optimistic about the development of this game. But as things stand i won't buy Ubilol games. Depending how this game develops and what they do with it, and everything that is going to be behind Uplay i might decide to buy it.
     4 people found this helpful

We'll definitely release more info over the coming weeks, I'll try to address a few points here:

- We very much appreciate your feedback on what we share with you. That's one of the reasons why we created the Settlers Alliance and we'll of course monitor your feedback and your opinions on new features and ideas.
    - Not quite sure what you mean with control area, but the expansion in The Settlers will work similar to the old titles with building watchtowers, sending soldiers to expand your territory etc. No "sectors" like in Settlers 6 or 7
    - Buildings will change their appearance when upgraded and it will effect the productivity of each building or workshop.

We have about one more year to convince you, RobvD84, and I personally am very sure we'll manage
     9 people found this helpful

Ove_Haithabu's Avatar Junior Member

a big thank you

Originally Posted by Ubi-Thorlof Go to original post
    We'll definitely release more info over the coming weeks, I'll try to address a few points here:

- We very much appreciate your feedback on what we share with you. That's one of the reasons why we created the Settlers Alliance and we'll of course monitor your feedback and your opinions on new features and ideas.
    - Not quite sure what you mean with control area, but the expansion in The Settlers will work similar to the old titles with building watchtowers, sending soldiers to expand your territory etc. No "sectors" like in Settlers 6 or 7
    - Buildings will change their appearance when upgraded and it will effect the productivity of each building or workshop.

We have about one more year to convince you, RobvD84, and I personally am very sure we'll manage
    First of all : Congratulations to a great idea. I wish you best of luck when working on this title, fun while working and a great success when you release the game

Great to see that you plan to focus on the old ttles. The graphics look fantastic and the game idea is maybe not new but still brilliant. There are a lot of games that follow the same (build a base/settlement, gather recources and run over the enemy) so I hope that this will be as unique as the original.

What really made the original great was the resource management, unlike every other game where harvested resources were simply added to a virtual pool the original Settlers had a transport system where resources needed to be transported to the destination instead of taking them out of a virtual pool. Please have this game pick up that idea of transporting resources again.

Further, the building technique was simply brilliant and made it a joy to actually watch the game, so please instead of having new buildings simply grow out of the ground when constructing please have the old way. Someone comes to pave the ground, someone brigs the materials and someone builds first a scaffold, then the actual walls and then roof and finally tiles. There are too many games where watching a construction is boring (and thus makes the game boring). And don't be afraid to add more buildng materials like not only stone and wood but also logs, boards, quarrystones, bricks, tiles and straw.

And have a game mode for patient players. The old titles you could play for hours on a map (oh, yes by the way we want random maps and big maps, very big maps). Too many games where you had no time for even a cup of tea while playing because if you miss a minute then the enemy is too far advanced. Keep it the old style where you can relax a bit, order a few constructions and then sit back, watch your settlers gather resources and build houses while having a tea. The graphic is too beautiful to be ignored. if it's just a race against the enemies one has no time to look at the details.

So again, good luck you you. Thanks for the good news and take your time. The pressure will be on, especially when the release date comes but I wish you good nerves and may this be a success.
     8 people found this helpful

Can't wait for more info !really excited for the new Settlers!
     1 people found this helpful

@Ove_Haithabu:
    The plan is to catch the feeling of the old Settlers games and build on top of that. The inventor of the series, Volker Wertich, is responsible for this one so I'm confident this will be achieved

Regarding the resource management:
    Yes, this is exactly how it's planned (or rather: already implemented) in this one, too. Resources don't magically teleport in a big pool and like in e.g. Settlers III your carriers will have to get the wood from the woodcutter to the new building before construction can begin.

Like the older games of the series, The Settlers will also be a game where you can simply sit back and watch your Settlers work (or take a break), buildings don't suddenly appear but have to be build and it's not supposed to be hectic RTS like Starcraft or something similar.

I can't give you a clear info on the maps yet, but as far as I know there'll be randomly generated maps for more replayability.
    Will put it on my Q&A list for later.
     7 people found this helpful

pennyuk's Avatar Settlers Moderator
    There is a Settlers God after all,lets hope we are going back to our roots with this version

Really excited to see this, however is it only going to be a digital download ?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last ►►