Question on Noteway

Do the horizontal lines on the noteway represent bar lines as in notation or tab?

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    After the post below, I understand what you were asking.

See post below.

UbiVertigo's Avatar Community Developer
    Yep! The thicker lines mark the beginning of a measure and the lighter lines appear on the other beats (or further subdivisions of the measure).

[Edited for clarity.]

Am I confused on horizontal and vertical?

I gotta go watch a rocksmith video now.

Ah.... I was not even thinking about those horizontal lines.

Thanks for that, UbiVertigo.

Thanks UbiVertigo, Kind of thought it was. So does the distance between the bars represent the Time Signature ie 3/4, 4/4, 6/8, 12/8. I Notice the space varies from song to song.

I hope I'm not wrong again. LOL!

The spacing has to do with sections with lots of notes needing space that forces more space between notes in sections with fewer notes. This keeps the tempo of the noteway consistent within a given level of mastery.

UbiVertigo's Avatar Community Developer
    Originally Posted by GrandpaBlues Go to original post
    Thanks UbiVertigo, Kind of thought it was. So does the distance between the bars represent the Time Signature ie 3/4, 4/4, 6/8, 12/8. I Notice the space varies from song to song.
    Right again! Though, there may be some variation from song to song (or even section to section). Think of the (non-downbeat) bars more as cues than a strict part of the notation. If there's a really fast, chorded section, you might not see many of them. If there's a long pause between notes, you might only see a small portion of, say, the bar of the 4th beat (if in 4/4) to let you know where a pickup note will fall.

Much like how there can be a variation in how arpeggios are played, there's a balance to be struck between offering enough information to the player and not cluttering the UI. Optimally, it should appear intuitive enough that you're not necessarily conscious of the bars, even as they're helping to guide you.

In case I've gotten any of the above wrong, I'm going to check with a Note Tracker to be extra sure, and maybe get additional information. If there are updates on the above, I'll drop them in tomorrow.

Thanks again. I was just mostly keeping time while playing but noticed that it was falling in to a pattern. Surprised it took me this long to notice it.