Core2TOM's Avatar Senior Member

30 Min / 500 Faults Limit?

Now a fault adds +5 sec to your current time, i really like the idea!

But i wonder if there´s still a 30 min / 500 faults limit like in the previous games. If 1 fault adds +5 sec, 499 faults would add +41,58 MINUTES

Maybe its a special challenge or mode or something. I don't see this happening on "core" Trials tracks.

Maybe its one of those sponsor challenges from Fox since there's a "fox" in front of the objective. I dont know.

I would actually like that feature in general with a bigger Time Limit. Because this would force you more to try to safe mistakes. I've learned the most by simply trying to recover from all situations.

The +5 sec penalty is always there, regardless of contract.

StormPsykoz's Avatar Member
    I'm guessing this will work on an independent clock from the classic 30 minutes IG clock.

So you could have 182 faults 19 minutes on, say, an Extreme track, but the penalty would add up 182*5 = 910 seconds = 15 min 10 secs.
    The timer would therefore display 182 faults and 34:10, but the "real" clock would still be 19 minutes.

I do believe warning prompts about the time left would still display normally. So if you reach 25 minutes on the same attempt, you'll get the "Time left: 5 minutes" prompt while the timer will display 40 minutes.

Storm has it pretty much spot on.

The 30 min of real time limit will stay, as it's related to the replay file size and it wouldn't be wise to make it very large.

The penalty time doesn't affect the real time limit, though, so the time record and the actual time played are on two different clocks.

In Trials Rising fault amount is a secondary scoring mechanic as we wanted to allow players some wiggle room to recover from mistakes rather than have a hard fault limit separating medals. In similar vein, medals are dependent on track time as primary score. At the same time, we wanted 0 fault runs to always be the best, hence why we created the time penalty system.
     2 people found this helpful

xzamplez's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Farlander1991 Go to original post
    Storm has it pretty much spot on.

The 30 min of real time limit will stay, as it's related to the replay file size and it wouldn't be wise to make it very large.

The penalty time doesn't affect the real time limit, though, so the time record and the actual time played are on two different clocks.

In Trials Rising fault amount is a secondary scoring mechanic as we wanted to allow players some wiggle room to recover from mistakes rather than have a hard fault limit separating medals. In similar vein, medals are dependent on track time as primary score. At the same time, we wanted 0 fault runs to always be the best, hence why we created the time penalty system.
    So, faults are no longer a factor for medals?

Hope this new fault system carries over to multiplayer.

Originally Posted by xzamplez Go to original post
    So, faults are no longer a factor for medals?
    Yes, the only medal requirement is time. Faults still matter of course because they affect time. And for higher medals we know how to tune the time if we want the medal to reflect a 0 fault run.

Core2TOM's Avatar Senior Member
    The 30 min of real time limit will stay.
    ... what about the 500 faults limit?

the time record and the actual time played are on two different clocks.
    ok that´s good, but how can the player see how much time he got left? do you display a countdown when there´s i.e. 5 min left or something?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... Last ►►