ballon009's Avatar Member
    well you may be right due to sea of thieves- it depends on how they do it

Originally Posted by ballon009 Go to original post
    well you may be right due to sea of thieves- it depends on how they do it
    sea of thieves is too cartoonish and has no content

I can certainly see the argument against cut scene boarding, it interrupts the flow of the action being one concern. Boarding mini games can cause the same problem, look at the one they did with Naval Action it's pretty bad in its own right.

I don't think the solution is a platform game that you happen to sail ships in like some want, or a bland clone of another like certain people are demanding.

Easiest solution would be to can it, but given the era these ships are in it's not feasible.

Not an easy thing to decide, despite what the multi account trolls would claim.

🇦🇱€uropean£ngland 🇬🇧

Why can’t they have it so that you can board ships manually whilst at the same time, other players can board your ship too forcing you to fight off multiple crews instead of one, like a massive pirate battle. Your ship and the one being boarded would be unsinkable at this time but you would have the flexibility to jump from ship to ship, sword on sword against other players.
    Honestly if the dev team started now, they would have enough time to produce a different form of boarding than we’ve seen in the E3 by summer next year latest. If they want to get the most from this game they should really consider it. I’ve been thinking about automatic boarding, but if I saw that in the actual game, it would upset me to think of the lost potential with this game and its mechanics.
     1 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by NeT_Wizzard Go to original post
    Why can’t they have it so that you can board ships manually whilst at the same time, other players can board your ship too forcing you to fight off multiple crews instead of one, like a massive pirate battle. Your ship and the one being boarded would be unsinkable at this time but you would have the flexibility to jump from ship to ship, sword on sword against other players.
    Honestly if the dev team started now, they would have enough time to produce a different form of boarding than we’ve seen in the E3 by summer next year latest. If they want to get the most from this game they should really consider it. I’ve been thinking about automatic boarding, but if I saw that in the actual game, it would upset me to think of the lost potential with this game and its mechanics.
    so true!!! awesome idea!

I had the most fun boarding in Naval Action, going on the full defence while my allies blasts the enemy and punishes him for his mistake at boarding me.

Or when i boarded someone and played them hard with tricks and fooled them into picking the wrong choice.

And the funniest part were when a friend were taking heavy casualties in a boarding battle and i just decided to push the enemy ship away from his to interrupt the boarding.

Good old times.

On the topic at hand, i would like the boarding to be a function that takes a bit of time to complete but which is what rewards the most loot, from what we have seen the 1-2 seconds cut scenes looks a bit ridiculous with how fast you can salvo and board ships and just jump from 1 ship to another, also a brig boarding a man o war should have limitations to it or it will be really unrealistic crew to crew wise. (like instead of boarding at 20% hp it should be more like 5% or something)

We want to avoid a meta that involves front cannons -> ramming -> broadside as a finish which procs the boarding option instantly. (were pretty much like that in black flag).

ballon009's Avatar Member
    See my position is simple. Having more options I’d a good thing. They still need time to finish the game, add npcs etc. So adding sword + foot gameplay is a bonus, if ppl don’t want to use it they won’t. It is that simple.

Think in black flag ship segments. You could win wi5out ever firing a single cannon ball - by stealth swimming on to the ship. Likewise you could do same without ever needing to take out a sword or gun. [kind of like the auto boarding].

That is what made it great.. you could choose. But choice requires options. And if you shoot yourself in the foot before hand, you loose both ways. As they can create modes that disable foot play for the naval only weirdo crowd.
     2 people found this helpful

"and, of course, Black Flag had melee combat, and everyone is naturally drawing connections between Black Flag and Skull & Bones even though they're entirely different games."

Actually NO, they are not "entirely" different games. Skull and Bones is built directly off the mechanics from Black Flag with some suttle differences of course. But with that said, the "entirely" rest of your argument is self defeating.

If the two games are so different, then your argument about the cut scene vs combat version is just plain silly.

"Here's the thing about the boarding, though: It's basically an "execution" once the fight is practically over. It was like this in Black Flag, too, since practically every single boarding action was a forgone conclusion"

Okay sure your statement is correct, however; it DOESNT NEED TO BE THIS WAY. The fact that you are trying to claim them to be different games means that they could "solve" this problem you are presenting. Does it NEED to be an "execution"? Essentially you are revealing the draw back right? So why not impliment the factor of the risk right? That boarding fights are NOT an execution? That the boardings can go either way, that you board and fail? That you board and lose all your attackers? That you board and they break all the lines? It doesn't need to be a 100% conclusion of success. This would solve two problems, that boarding is risky, which means more fun and that its not a boring cutscene replayed over and over and over.

"As a matter of development resources, it allows the devs to focus on the game's core identity: Ship-to-Ship combat"

This is a cop out argument. As it currently sits, just going off the game play footage that we have, there are ONLY three ships to pick from. If it were truely a ship to ship combat game surely having only three types of ships is rather lacking don't you think? The game clearly would be a cash grab from those who are fans of Black Flag and giving nothing but a ship to ship combat simulation at that point. I don't see this getting old in two days worth of playing..

"cutscene boarding cuts down on a lot of the "busy work" from Black Flag. By the time you're boarding, the fight is basically over, so there was never any real reason to play out the process other than so that you wouldn't be "punished" with less loot."

And as I have already pointed out, it doesnt NEED to be this way. Make it a timed process where the longer you take to defeat the enemy the less loot you get because the boarded ship are dumping their cargo? I can think of a dozen solutions to solve this problem. It just goes to show the lack of immagination that would add another great facet to the game.

"Manual boarding presents a *huge* issue for the game's open, dynamic PvP(vE) environment. Hell, even with cutscene boarding, I'm curious (and hesitant) about how it will handle things like getting shot by outside parties during the cutscene. Unlike Black Flag, it would be impossible to grant "immunity" during a boarding action."

Simply not true, none of what you say here is true. You don't even need to grant immunity. Why would you even? There have been games in the past that didn't grant immunity to boarding and they work. Its part of the risk of boarding and it makes sense in the world so why not in the game?

As it currently sits from what game play footage we have and how long it has been since E3 18 and from the recent news that the game probably won't debut until march of 2020, without more to do than just float around firing cannons at other ships there wont be enough divercity to break up the monotany of turn fire, turn fire, turn fire, turn fire. The game wouldn't be worth getting even if it were 10 bucks. They advertised it as an Action RPG. Where the **** are the RPG elements if its just cannon upgrades, rams or ship steering wheel? Seriously?
     1 people found this helpful

Page 7 of 7 ◄◄  First ... 567