Odyssey shields

This is really bugging me. I'm a huge Assassin's Creed fan and I've played all of them except the chronicle games. Loved origins and I love what it looks like Odyssey is trying to be but with all this talk of choice and historical accuracy why are we playing as a Spartan that doesn't even have the option of using a shield. Am I the only one this is messing with??
     52 people found this helpful

I feel like the lack of a shield for the main character is a major oversight. It seems we9rs that the game is based around what was established for mechanics in Origins, yet they remove somethin that is integral to Spartans and Greeks in general. I hope that there is some way to use a shield in this game but I am not going to hold my breath.
     21 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by Prkl8r Go to original post
    I only got into Origin because I love Weapon/Shield fighting in games, and generally, having played other AC games, I never cared much for the combat. But Origins I loved BECAUSE it had shields.

So naturally when I heard that the next game would be set in Ancient Greece, where Weapon/Shield was basically the only way to fight, I thought shields were a given. I mean why would they give up that famous Spartan Iconography of the Hoplon.

They apparently did this because they though the shield promoted passive combat, because why would they let players decide how they want to play the game? I LIKE to play defensively, I don't like just dodging around and parrying. I LIKE being the slow methodical tank. Apparently, Origins was a fluke, and people like me aren't supposed to play AC games.

...I was ready to preorder the Ultimate Edition until I found out shields are out. I don't even know if I want the game anymore.
    I agree with you, but the statement they put like shields promotes passive combat is just wrong. Look how God of War made shield combat awesome and brutal. Atleast they could give us the option to use shields or not.

Not including shields for the player in a game that is set in a time where shields where so central for warfare is a BIG mistake.
     25 people found this helpful

I still wondering how they handle block system since the LB is changed to skill select button (in ACO LB is guard stand), some people cant time the parry right and it would be ridiculous if they have to jumping round all the time. I see that only when you locked on the target you can go backward
     3 people found this helpful

I used the block stance for positioning and easy parries in Origins because I disliked the lock- on a lot. It would be a shame if they deprived their players of that choice. Who's with me?
     7 people found this helpful

AstroCat's Avatar Member
    Yeah if there is no shield for real in Odyssey that would be a bummer, it's so intrinsic to Ancient Greek warfare.
     11 people found this helpful

Agreed

There really needs to be player shields.

"Come back with your shield, or on it."
     17 people found this helpful

i don't think they gonna put shield in the game if they didnt plan to do it in the first place because its gonna cost alot of works to be done. ex: shield animation, shield design, perk balance, intergrated HUD/menu. I also hate lock on when fighting multiple enemies, guest that jumping all over the place its the only option now... sad
     3 people found this helpful

cawatrooper9's Avatar AC Forum Moderator
    It looks like maybe shields are usable in combat, but are not part of inventory.

Maybe something like heavy weapons in ACII, or rifles in ACIII.

4 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by quanzaizai Go to original post
    I still wondering how they handle block system since the LB is changed to skill select button (in ACO LB is guard stand), some people cant time the parry right and it would be ridiculous if they have to jumping round all the time. I see that only when you locked on the target you can go backward
    It appears that the broken spear is acting as ur hidden blade and you will use it to parry in place of blocking with a shield.
     1 people found this helpful