I too feel disappointed by the fact that a spartan themed game doesn't let you equip a shield. It would had been cool to have a complete hoplite gear.
    Another annoying trivial thing is the fighting animation regarding spears. It would have had more sense with a shield. But even without one i think that a warrior trained in ancient Greece, hell even one self taught that didn't die on his first fight, would probably use a different type of movement and stance while using a spear. The way it's in the game resembles more like a asian, kung-fu kind of style. More show less actual usefulness. I mean there are very few instances where using a spear with one hand has sense and way less where you finish a strike in with your leg up like Miyagi's crane kick stance. That's just hilariously bad.
     2 people found this helpful

ballon009's Avatar Member
    Responding to the thread on “how to hold shield if you got a spear in hand”.

I do fencing IRL I tell you that shields do in fact have straps. Smaller shields like such are called ‘deflecters’. They are smaller and are about 4 inches wide- just large enough to block an arrow or a sword parry. So yes it is possible. Some shields also have massive spikes on them to body check the enemy with a arm full of spikes

DrinkinMyStella's Avatar Senior Member

heres a outfit for the guys who must have shield now you can hold the spear of leonidias and your sword
     1 people found this helpful

Right, so you'e holding a shield and a spear head. That is really historically immersive. And I'm sure there's not problem revamping the entire controller scheme just so we can block, and change that scheme if you don't have a shield equipped.

I can't help think the word "shield" is the new euphemism of the month for "make the game easier"

I get it. Everyone wants a shield. Spartans used shields. While this is correct, YOU ARE NOT A SPARTAN!! You may be from Sparta, but you were not raised in Sparta to get the complete training and to have a shield. You are a MERCENARY, not all Mercenaries use shields. I actually like that there are no shields. You actually have to think about the combat. Origins combat to me was boring. Odyssey is so much more immersive, if they do add shields I will not use one. I think they should stay out of the game.
     3 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by TonyGunslinger Go to original post
    Right, so you'e holding a shield and a spear head. That is really historically immersive. And I'm sure there's not problem revamping the entire controller scheme just so we can block, and change that scheme if you don't have a shield equipped.

I can't help think the word "shield" is the new euphemism of the month for "make the game easier"
    the game doesn't offer any challenge even on max difficult if u want a challenge, find a cursed weapon which you eventually get that limits your health cap to 25% and then set the game to max difficult and then come back to me on what a challenge is.. until then.. keep your trap shut. with or without shield... in this challenge you're gonna learn what it feels like to play dark souls on max difficult... Assassin's creed style...

Originally Posted by TheLostPharoah Go to original post
    I get it. Everyone wants a shield. Spartans used shields. While this is correct, YOU ARE NOT A SPARTAN!! You may be from Sparta, but you were not raised in Sparta to get the complete training and to have a shield. You are a MERCENARY, not all Mercenaries use shields. I actually like that there are no shields. You actually have to think about the combat. Origins combat to me was boring. Odyssey is so much more immersive, if they do add shields I will not use one. I think they should stay out of the game.
    i feel like i should give you a reasonable arguement as to why we need shields, but i have already exalted my needs to argue with people with a small minded IQ

i'll just tell you this tho without spoilers, your character becomes a citizen of sparta in the later game..... in which case a shield is mandatory even for a merc.

Originally Posted by quanzaizai Go to original post
    i don't think they gonna put shield in the game if they didnt plan to do it in the first place because its gonna cost alot of works to be done. ex: shield animation, shield design, perk balance, intergrated HUD/menu. I also hate lock on when fighting multiple enemies, guest that jumping all over the place its the only option now... sad
    the combat in odessey is the same as origins just without the shield, they can add it EZ they just chose not to..

It doesn't make sense to me that they didn't add shields, it's just strange. You think of Greece, you think of Spartans, what do you think of? Shields.The phalanx. They should have included it from the get-go if they wanted to truly be historically accurate.

My question IS when the **** are moderators gonna take this poll to the devs.... they seem to be getting paid to do... Nothing..