Well , I really suck at dogfighting. Anyone got any tips? Everytime when I get on the person 6. They get right behind me and next thing you know. They're on my 6. I especially suck at the turning battle. I lose everytime. I put on the combat flaps. I have 25percent fuel. And I have a real sentitive joystick so it would be easier to turn. but no matter what , I still lose. I have no problem shooting down planes. The only problem is that I can't get on the person 6. Everytime when I go up. They lead there shot and shooot me down. The same way when I go down. And when I turn , I can't get away from them. I just end up turning into a big fireball.....This is a good game , It just gets frustrating at times.....

Well , I really suck at dogfighting. Anyone got any tips? Everytime when I get on the person 6. They get right behind me and next thing you know. They're on my 6. I especially suck at the turning battle. I lose everytime. I put on the combat flaps. I have 25percent fuel. And I have a real sentitive joystick so it would be easier to turn. but no matter what , I still lose. I have no problem shooting down planes. The only problem is that I can't get on the person 6. Everytime when I go up. They lead there shot and shooot me down. The same way when I go down. And when I turn , I can't get away from them. I just end up turning into a big fireball.....This is a good game , It just gets frustrating at times.....

TinyTim's Avatar Banned
    You need to develop feeling for turning (if you want to turn at all - later you will find out that you don't in order to be succsessful in air to air combat).

Set up a QMB with you in a Yak-3 or SpitIX for beginning, and set an empty Bf110 as your opponent. When you will be capable of consistently staying at his 6, switch your opponent and/or your ride towards more challenging combinations.

Try this if attacked. Don't turn horizontally to get away. Brake up and to the right into the attacker.

This means turning slightly to the right and pulling back Hard on the stick. This will force the attacker into a complicated gun solution. The movement is (up and to the right)

Try it next time and tell me what happens..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stalkervision:
    Try this if attacked. Don't turn horizontally to get away. Turn up and to the right into the attacker.

This means turn slightly to the right and pull back Hard on the stick. This will force the attacker into a complicated gun solution. The movement is (up and to the right)

Try it next time and tell me what happens.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He`ll get shot down.

Turning up immediately slows you down and any decent fighter will spray you with lead. It`s not a safe move if the enemy`s right on your 6.

There are no instant easy solutions, Tuskegee1989. It takes time and PRACTISE with PATIENCE.

First I would ask you some questions:

What are you flying? Every aircraft has different ways to fly and escape attack.

What are your difficulty settings? cockpit on/off, complex engine management?

Do you understand about keeping your energy/ sacrificing it for gain?

Know anything about sciisoring? barrel-rolling?

Answer these basic questions and we`ll get nearer to offering proper advice.

For now, all I can say is practis against AI offline and have patience, otherwise you`ll just get frustrated. Once you get reasonably good against AI, you`re just about ready to start as a new guy online.

well seafire that was the manauver Erich Hartman always used when jumped and he was never even wounded in combat.

It is a standard ww 2 defense manauver. Will it work in our sim? That is what I wanted to see. If the sim replicates real ww 2 air combat truely well then it should. Not saying this will work though because imo it really doesn't. It is more a crude proximation of it.

For me I often use a big last second barrel roll to shake an attacker. I cut the power and barrel roll at the same time which usually make the enemy slide right out and in front of me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stalkervision:
    well seafire that was the manauver Erich Hartman always used when jumped and he was never even wounded in combat.

It is a standard ww 2 defense manauver. Will it work in our sim? That is what I wanted to see. If theim replicate real ww 2 air combat well it should. Not saying this will work though because imo it really doesn't.

For me I often use a big last second barrel roll to shake an attacker. I cut the power and barrel roll at the same time which usually make the enemy slide right out and in front of me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see what you`re doing, but giving advanced flying tactics of a known german Ace to a rookie pilot doesn`t mean it`s going to help him much at all.

Erich Hartman knew what he was doing.

I think if he can tell us what he`s flying that`ll be a start. there`s too little info from tuskegee for us to really help at all, imho.

Try this if attacked. Don't turn horizontally to get away. Brake up and to the right into the attacker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This makes no sense at all - if he is bounced from 7 or 8 o'clock he won't be breaking INTO his attacker. Also just having a simple set-piece maneuver like that shows no imagination and is very predictable. If someone were to pull that in front of me i'd just drop combat flaps, pull a bit of lead, ease of the stick and boom!

well seafire that was the manauver Erich Hartman always used when jumped and he was never even wounded in combat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was not the maneuver Hartmann used if he got bounced - i believe he would skid slightly to deceive his attacker, then when they opened fire Hartmann would ram the stick into a forward corner and kick full opposite rudder - if his attacker tried to follow this he would end-up 'redding-out' from negative- Gs...

Here's some sound insight from a veteran ace:

"I always thought to go around in circles, slower and slower, was a ridiculous thing... It's not the way to
    fight. The best tactic is to make a pass, then break off and come back."

- Brigadier General Robin Olds, USAF

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
    Try this if attacked. Don't turn horizontally to get away. Turn up and to the right into the attacker.

This means turn slightly to the right and pull back Hard on the stick. This will force the attacker into a complicated gun solution. The movement is (up and to the right)

Try it next time and tell me what happens.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He`ll get shot down.

Turning up immediately slows you down and any decent fighter will spray you with lead. It`s not a safe move if the enemy`s right on your 6.

There are no instant easy solutions, Tuskegee1989. It takes time and PRACTISE with PATIENCE.

First I would ask you some questions:

What are you flying? Every aircraft has different ways to fly and escape attack.

What are your difficulty settings? cockpit on/off, complex engine management?

Do you understand about keeping your energy/ sacrificing it for gain?

Know anything about sciisoring? barrel-rolling?

Answer these basic questions and we`ll get nearer to offering proper advice.

For now, all I can say is practis against AI offline and have patience, otherwise you`ll just get frustrated. Once you get reasonably good against AI, you`re just about ready to start as a new guy online. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well , First off. I use the BF-109. The German plane and I usually use the P51 every now and then. My difficulty settings are on Normal. I don't have the cockpit view only on. I have it off so I can see below me too. As for the engine management , I don't use that. I don't know what that is anyways. Keeping my energy? Yeah , I know that stuff. I always gain some altitude when i'm doggfight so that i'm above the enemy plane. But the more I go up , It's like my plane gets slower. That's a easy problem for me to solve though. And yeah , I know about the sissors and the barrol rolling. That stuff really doesn't help. I use those all the time and I still get shot down. The only thing that i'm good is with preying above the enemy plane and diving pass them. Hopfully getting a shot but as for turning dogfighting? I can't do it. I'll get shot down in a split second.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Schwarz.13:
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by stalkervision:
    Try this if attacked. Don't turn horizontally to get away. Brake up and to the right into the attacker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

swartz/ <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This makes no sense at all - if he is bounced from 7 or 8 o'clock he won't be breaking INTO his attacker. Also just having a simple set-piece maneuver like that shows no imagination and is very predictable. If someone were to pull that in front of me i'd just drop combat flaps, pull a bit of lead, ease of the stick and boom! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SV/ standard defensive manauver I assure you. Drop flaps and pull lead? No you will be the one in serious trouble then because you have burned right off all your "e" and you won't be pulling any lead by then either, just falling behind out of gun range with no energy left and you would have to dive to regain some. In the mean time your opponent would be above you and reversing his turn with a whole lot more "smash" then you have. You are now the hunted and not the hunter now.

well seafire that was the manauver Erich Hartman always used when jumped and he was never even wounded in combat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

swartz/<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> That was not the maneuver Hartmann used if he got bounced - i believe he would skid slightly to deceive his attacker, then when they opened fire Hartmann would ram the stick into a forward corner and kick full opposite rudder - if his attacker tried to follow this he would end-up 'redding-out' from negative- Gs... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SV/ Hardly. His standard evasion manauver was exactly what was said. I have his book right in front of me. I don't know where you dreamed all that stuff up but he never used what your talking about. He did have an emergency manauver but you are not even close to it.

swartz/ <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Here's some sound insight from a veteran ace:

"I always thought to go around in circles, slower and slower, was a ridiculous thing... It's not the way to
    fight. The best tactic is to make a pass, then break off and come back."

- Brigadier General Robin Olds, USAF </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Olds was flying a F4. Agains't a mig that tactic would have made him toast. Migs turn much better. The f4 had gobs of power from their twin J-79 engines. What f4 driver found out was the best thing to do was "work in the vertical" agains't the migs. The migs engines couldn't hope to keep up with a f4 in a vertical dogfight.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... Last ►►