🛈 Announcement
Greetings! Far Cry forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game.

New tools

Are you going to add more tools and programming options to the editor in the future?

DrShakez's Avatar Member
    Not likely. The only tools that are really missing that I can think of off the top of my head are scripting related, and that's more of a core feature than a patched in feature.

That would be a shame if no new additions are made. I see comments on how 'powerful' this editor is when its really not from what I've seen. Its asset rich, and has great environmental options, so we can build a nice map, but we cant really do anything...........different.

apapoutsas's Avatar Member
    Truth is it will take a few manhours to implement trigger zones in the editor. Not because of the logic, but because the objects that will be triggered are not coded to work that way, and imagine now that the list of objects is more than 9k. You could say have a few selected objects that work with trigger zones, like a trap door opening, a sfx speaker, a lighting changer, but again those take time to implement.

Jokes aside, I would buy a DLC that added trigger zones and a few selected props to do stuff with them ANY DAY.

Indeed if its not already in the works it would be a big job. Agreed about dlc. If they had a chunk of dlc that included logic stuff like counters and and triggers and switches n stuff it may be worth an actual purchase. Special fx like fireworks or explosions triggered by players or ai. Triggers for sound effects. And spawn points for ai rather than pre placing actual ai.
    Player controllable switches too.
    Imagine the possibilities if we had the "power" of dooms snapmap with all the assets and environmental options from far cry.

Originally Posted by BERTANDERNY Go to original post
    Imagine the possibilities if we had the "power" of dooms snapmap with all the assets and environmental options from far cry.
    Everytime someone asks me about the FC5 editor, I make this example as to how this editor's potential is lost and its only for the visuals. Doom snapmap has all the logic for the cool kids but lacks the variety to make your own settings, FC5 editor is the opposite.

If you ask me which can fix which, I d say that its easier to make a logic system in FC5 editor rather than add 9k assets in Doom Snapmap, so if they were willing to make a logic pack DLC for the editor, it ll be a way better place to create than Snapmap.

It would be great. We coold make mini games and challenges and all sorts. There is mention of someone's map on these boards tht is a race track. If we had proper tools, like snapmap, we could make an actual race track!
    The difficulty being making it user friendly. I know its personal preference etc but i dont like the layout of the far cry editor. Probably because of many hours spent in snapmap.

Originally Posted by BERTANDERNY Go to original post
    It would be great. We coold make mini games and challenges and all sorts. There is mention of someone's map on these boards tht is a race track. If we had proper tools, like snapmap, we could make an actual race track!
    The difficulty being making it user friendly. I know its personal preference etc but i dont like the layout of the far cry editor. Probably because of many hours spent in snapmap.
    Agreed, I like doom snapmap UI more too, but I got easily bummed out because I cant add a friendly NPC to make it more believable, or have different settings except Mars Scifi, which is why I like the result from Far Cry 5 editor more and I am more addicted to it than SM. If only they would allow us to add basic scripting, I would make maps for a lot of years to come.

FC5 map editor is a powerful diorama editor. I liken it to making a model train set. Not too much to do outside of aesthetics. I love making natural environments, though. I would also pay for an advanced editor tool box with triggers and logic.