As we all know, iTunes stupidly won't let you transfer songs from an ipod to a computer.
    What I've done in the past is use Winamp and its ML Ipod upgrade. However the last time I did it, when I got a new computer and wanted to put my music on it, for some reason Winamp transferred all my albums but left out one or two songs from each album.

I'd like to try transferring the files again, but now I can't figure out how to do it with Winamp and it's been so long since my last attempt that I've forgotten what to do. Every time I've done this I've had to poke around in all of its options until I find the right one, which takes a while and is frustrating because Winamp has a terrible interface and all the phrases it uses make no sense or are misleading ("add media library?"). There is a FAQ/instructions page for ML Ipod but it does not tell you exactly how to transfer files from an ipod to a computer.

Could someone give me a step by step method for using Winamp and ML Ipod to transfer files from the ipod to a computer? Or does anyone know of a better and more understandable program to use?

As we all know, iTunes stupidly won't let you transfer songs from an ipod to a computer.
    What I've done in the past is use Winamp and its ML Ipod upgrade. However the last time I did it, when I got a new computer and wanted to put my music on it, for some reason Winamp transferred all my albums but left out one or two songs from each album.

I'd like to try transferring the files again, but now I can't figure out how to do it with Winamp and it's been so long since my last attempt that I've forgotten what to do. Every time I've done this I've had to poke around in all of its options until I find the right one, which takes a while and is frustrating because Winamp has a terrible interface and all the phrases it uses make no sense or are misleading ("add media library?"). There is a FAQ/instructions page for ML Ipod but it does not tell you exactly how to transfer files from an ipod to a computer.

Could someone give me a step by step method for using Winamp and ML Ipod to transfer files from the ipod to a computer? Or does anyone know of a better and more understandable program to use?

GoToAway's Avatar Senior Member
    I'm not sure I understand the question. Why do you need a "program" to transfer files? Windows can recognize any mp3 player as a mass storage device. If you're not using itunes, then there's no reason you shouldn't be able to drag and drop whatever you want wherever you want. Set the ipod to function as a storage device.

If you're looking for an itunes alternative, there are many. Google that phrase. I use retune, but I'm pretty sure it's unsupported these days. Anything is an improvement over the PoS that is itunes, though.

ytareh's Avatar Senior Member
    Ive used FroddlePod and SharePod especially the latter to manage Ipod .As you said ITunes is a disaster.However in my experience some songs bought online (probably via ITunes )wont transfer succesfully.

danjama's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoToAway:
    I'm not sure I understand the question. Why do you need a "program" to transfer files? Windows can recognize any mp3 player as a mass storage device. If you're not using itunes, then there's no reason you shouldn't be able to drag and drop whatever you want wherever you want. Set the ipod to function as a storage device.

If you're looking for an itunes alternative, there are many. Google that phrase. I use retune, but I'm pretty sure it's unsupported these days. Anything is an improvement over the PoS that is itunes, though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What he's saying is, you can't extract music from your Ipod. Only onto it. Even if you have it set as storage device, all the music doesn't show up.

As a Linux user, I cannot understand the issue.

Been using a program called copytrans to put music on /off my wife's ipod. Had no complaints with it. You can get a free version, google copytrans. Hope this helps

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm not sure I understand the question. Why do you need a "program" to transfer files? Windows can recognize any mp3 player as a mass storage device. If you're not using itunes, then there's no reason you shouldn't be able to drag and drop whatever you want wherever you want. Set the ipod to function as a storage device. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know how to do that, the problem is that on an ipod the albums are all stored several at a time in weird folders like "F00" and "G40" and so on rather than in folders named after the albums, and when you move them from the ipod to a hard drive they stay in those folders and it messes up the order of songs when you then try to play them with itunes, and a lot of songs get left out. If you use a program that can properly transfer them, then it will move the songs and albums over and put each album in its own folder like if you had burned it from a CD onto your hard drive in the first place. Winamp can do this but I can't remember how which is where I'm having trouble because like I said its interface is a trainwreck, but I guess you get what you pay for because it's free. I don't mind itunes for playing music but the fact that it won't let you move songs from an ipod to the hard drive is really annoying.

mortoma's Avatar Senior Member
    This is one reason I won't buy any type of Apple device. I have a Sandisk Sansa MP3 player and not only am I really happy with it, I also don't have trouble transferring files from it or to it. You not only pay a high monetary price for Apple, you also pay high prices in many other unfortunate ways. You couldn't give me one of their computers, either. But I guess I could use it for target practice to see what a .308 would do to it!