View Poll Results: S~!

Everybody should know that an add-on production cost is not the same as an original game, at l

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a full game every year

9 16.36%
  • No, stay with add-ons

46 83.64%

I'd say there are advantages to both methods.

I'd vote for a third option: Standalone with only a few addons, then new standalone.

Like if IL-2 ended at AEP, and skipped the PF/Pe-3/'46 detour.

WWMaxGunz's Avatar Senior Member
    Yet another limited choice poll made to show one small view of reality...........

Here's one for you: Have you quit cheating online? Yes or No?

Why are addons always cheaper in your view?
    Why can't the original game engine be included with every addon, making each stand-alone capable?
    Given the above, if planned from early then why not each one able to use each other?

You see it is possible for sales to increase every year until the game engine is obsolete?
    You see if game engine was updated (graphics, options) but still uses the addons objects
    that the owned value of addons increases and life of the series extends?

But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! We get two votes that cover what marketing types think
    is the limit. Marketing types that make nothing real and care for only who? Themselves.

Originally posted by WWMaxGunz:
    Yet another limited choice poll made to show one small view of reality...........
    - I do not pretend to hold any part of the universal knowledge.

- Something personnal or an attempt to show how riduculous is my question?

Why are addons always cheaper in your view?
    - because their price is fixed following a pure speculation about the expected sales which may drop if they are too expensive. Real cost is not reflected by price.

Why can't the original game engine be included with every addon, making each stand-alone capable?
    - it's an option, but every single product on sale must be produced, printed, localized, maintained, supported and distributed worldwide which is a major task whatever the product cost. With a limited ressoure (income) you just can't do it (see the problem with Russian add-ons).

Given the above, if planned from early then why not each one able to use each other?
    - For the same reason as above.

You see it is possible for sales to increase every year until the game engine is obsolete?
    - I don't think so : production cost + marketing + support and distribution cost of two or more products vs a single product featuring all the stuff, the last one will be more profitable. But you may think otherwise.

You see if game engine was updated (graphics, options) but still uses the addons objects that the owned value of addons increases and life of the series extends?
    - The value of an add-on content is mainly related to the capability of the customer to find it and to the ability of the producer to make some kind of profit from it.

Marketing types that make nothing real and care for only who? Themselves.
    What I say concern everybody enjoying this sim, including you, but you are right, I don't really care about this last point.

S~
    Takata

My understanding is that each 'add-on' will in fact be able to be played independently or merged into previous versions, in which case there's no prob.

Of course I may be wrong.

I say keep it the way it has been up to now! I see no problem with it - don't fix something that isn't broken

Subsequent chapters of SoW will be stand alone/addon the same as PF was to FB. Possibly, every chapter will have the possibility to get third parties' addons as for Battle of France or Battle of Poland for BoB. This is DA MAN's word.

Also add-ons require less MP and let the developer get more mileage out of their original investment.

WWMaxGunz's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by Takata_:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWMaxGunz:
    - Something personnal or an attempt to show how riduculous is my question? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To show how slanted the poll and any results are.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Why are addons always cheaper in your view?
    - because their price is fixed following a pure speculation about the expected sales which may drop if they are too expensive. Real cost is not reflected by price. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yet you say make a complete new game each time instead. So I guess you have no good idea
    of the real cost of game engine development? In real cost, the addon or compatible game
    is much cheaper to produce.

Addon with game engine included is more price than just new planes, maps, etc, requiring
    original game. And it is higher value if you can use the old elements with it.

Try not thinking addon. Try thinking of a series of compatible games.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Why can't the original game engine be included with every addon, making each stand-alone capable?
    - it's an option, but every single product on sale must be produced, printed, localized, maintained, supported and distributed worldwide which is a major task whatever the product cost. With a limited ressoure (income) you just can't do it (see the problem with Russian add-ons).[/QUOTED]

What part of that is not needed for a new game every time?
    Maybe some time you should check out some of the modern distro methods like Steam as well.

[quote]
    - For the same reason as above.

- I don't think so : production cost + marketing + support and distribution cost of two or more products vs a single product featuring all the stuff, the last one will be more profitable. But you may think otherwise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I see your fantasy. A single product with everything you somehow think will be made
    in short enough time to hit the market target price. To have all that in a very few years
    the result would be trash every time. Cheap, buggy trash. IL2 was FOUR YEARS before the
    first release and had how many flyables? We now have many planes more via patches and FB,
    ACES and PF as new revenue sources for Maddox Games and UBI with still more fixes and
    needing more income and it has been so far over FIVE MORE YEARS which is not bad at all
    BUT ------ Who can make a better product COMPLETE in one go with all the features including
    planes, maps, everything for multiple theatres before the first release, all better and
    more detailed than IL2/FB and not a buggy mess without going broke? MS? If you want a
    mediocre painted-by-numbers sim then CFS3 is still around.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You see if game engine was updated (graphics, options) but still uses the addons objects that the owned value of addons increases and life of the series extends?
    - The value of an add-on content is mainly related to the capability of the customer to find it and to the ability of the producer to make some kind of profit from it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Customers can't find IL2 series? Why you think CFS4 is not being made? Because of IL2.
    There has been profit but it was pointed out in 98 and 99 that there is more profit by far
    from making fantasy games with zero reality content. Esp the pay to play kind. There is
    money in flight sims and if everyone made fantasy games there would be far less profit in
    those.

Understand that if there was serious problems with profit in flight sims that the SOW line
    would never have been started. UBI will cry poor whether they get profit or not. You
    listen to that you may as well believe politicians too.

Hey, if they got smart about it then there would be more profit. You start by getting more
    money for years of work instead of fixed-price less, the usual crippled dance.

It may seem funny to you but there's more than a few products I've bought just because of
    the addons and mods available.

Chuck_Older's Avatar Banned
    Takata-

max isn't saying you cheat or anything like that.

The question is one that gives the person whoa sked the question the answer he wants regardless of your reply- it's a 'loaded' question-

If you say "yes", well then you have cheated

If you say "No", well you still have been cheating

The limited choice of answers gives the person asking the question the advantage. Max is saying the choices are too black and white in your poll

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►