Strategy to Bypass Mission Auto Complete! (NEW PLAYERS READ THIS!)

Ok, so in case you didn't know, in Far Cry 5 there is an awful, ill conceived, and ALMOST game-ruining feature where if you get too many resistance points doing side missions, "black background icon" random events, and just generally having a good time, the game will PUNISH you for this by skipping to the end of certain main story missions (some of the best ones in the game!), effectively locking out content and SHOVING you through the story, and auto-capturing outposts whether you want to advance or not!!

But all is not lost! After having this happen to me several times, I started a new play through (I refuse to finish the game without experiencing all its story missions!) specifically to experiment with the poorly designed resistance point system and I found a good way around this feature while still being able to unlock all the most important perks and weapons before doing much! This is easily the WORST "Feature" I have EVER seen in a video game EVER, nearly ruining what is otherwise an EXCELLENT game, so if the Devs refuse to patch out this insane feature that no one wants, the least they can do is sticky this post as a warning to people who haven't played the game yet, so they can avoid having to RESTART THE DAMN GAME to do a mission or outpost they missed!

Anyway, the way the auto completion of missions and outposts works is its tied solely to resistance points and it happens right before before the missions that are triggered by filling each segment of the resistance gauge (no spoilers to say that the resi gauge triggers some new missions), more specifically right before the circle that marks the segment. So you have to check each time you are about to fill a gauge segment and make sure the most important main story missions have been completed. Story quests have the American shield flag for a start icon, not just a star, those are sides, and the ones Dutch gives you--the first to be thrown in the trash when you advance too far--will have the little diamond objective marker on the map. If you manage to get right to the cusp of completion, Ignore the semi pointless main story missions that are only there for easy resistance points, these are marked out by being fetch quests like recover 2 cult tankers, or save so many civilians.

Fair warning, the save civvies mission in each territory is nearly impossible NOT to complete, just walking through an area will sometimes give you civvie saves because resistance peons will engage any culties they see and if they the cultists have a captured person when the resistance guys kill them and you're in the area, it will count on your meter as a prisoner liberation worth 50 unless you go out of your way to kill the resistance, or the captured person before they can finish the fight. By the way, SCREW THAT CRAP! I really wish killing resistance subtracted resistance points, it makes sense right? And it would also give you a little breathing room because if you accidentally get too close to a segment fill, you could just go around murdering allies to bring the meter back down. What a rediculous thing to have to want in a video game, I hate accidentally killing innocents in games, but it would honestly help a lot. It is WAY too easy to get resi points in FC5, almost everything gives you too much. But back on topic, as I said, the civvie mission in each territory (worth a REDICULOUS *900* points!) is really hard to avoid completing so remember BUDGET THAT 900!

AVOID RANDOM "ICON" ENCOUNTERS ON THE ROAD LIKE THE MOTHER ****ING PLAUGE!!!! I really CANNOT stress this enough! If you're driving along and a "cult pursuit", or fuel truck alerts on you, RUN FROM THAT *****! *DO NOT* STAND AND FIGHT! The kidnapping and reaper truck randoms are worth more points, but those at least require you to get out of your car and release the prisoners or open the truck door to get burdened with those points, so you can just pull out your 9000$ prestige grenade launcher and blow those desperate innocent civilians to kingdom come and avoid a murderous 200 some resistance points (including the two civvie saves, though I don't remember the number, it might just be 100, but that's still way too much for something that comes along constantly and takes 4 seconds to complete). It's so damn twisted that you have to do this in order to avoid missing out on the best missions in the game, but it's better than the alternative!

Also, Cult VIPs.

I hate them.

SO DAMN MUCH. There aren't all that many in holland valley, the first and easiest region, but in the other two, THEY ARE FRIGGIN EVERYWHERE! Expect there to be at least 1 near ANYTHING important, there will be at least 2 in damn near every single interesting story mission in the game, so these things are a GOD DAMN *PLAUGE*! Worth I think 75 resistance points EACH, they are worth almost as much as a silo, they are wayyyy more common, they are impossible to avoid, very hard to get rid of when you run from the ones you alert in free roam (to avoid killing them and getting more of those stupid points), and to add insult to injury, there are a crapload of VIPs that are included in main story missions that you HAVE to kill, inevitably adding to the already rediculous resi point rewards that missions have. You're probably thinking the numbers I've quoted don't sound all that large, but each region completes with only 13000 points, and the auto completes come every like 2000 or so. So because a lot of these VIPs are unavoidable, you basically can't do a single side mission, random event or silo/shrine/whatever untill you are finished the main quest for that area.

I KNOW it's tempting, FC5 has *EASILY* the best side quests of any Far Cry and some of the best and most amusing side quests I've seen in any game, you want to do them, and once you hear of some of the more colorful ones, you'll want to run straight off and do them first! Don't! The main story missions are the best in this game since FC3, better than 4, and WAYYY better than primal (FCP had the worst missions of Far Cry, great free roam though), and some awe-inspiringly awesome cutscenes that you will never get to see because of this awful feature if you accidentally do too much before getting to them. The side quests won't get locked out or skip to completion under any circumstances, you can finish every single thing and kill the head guy, and the side quests will still be there, plus you get an extra 400$ for each one you do after the region is yours.

Always remember, everything but hunting, fishing and prepper stashes "rewards" you with resistance points (killing random cultists with no icon that you see parked on the road will very frequently result in an unintended civvie save, so it's not worth the risk unless you've already done a few of the important main missions). So once you get off dutch's island, free boomer for his auto tag, steal the free fishing pole off the dock with the fishing shop keeper just south of the rail bridge prepper stash on the north east edge of holland valley, and get fishing. Fishing is *super* fun in FC5 (even better than FFXV!), and each new type of fish gives you a skill point, as well as selling well. So first order of business is to drive around with an ATV and fill in the map (ATV so you can avoid roads as much as possible, untill you build the resi meter up, on any road you will face a constant parade of random event guys, many of which will chase you if they alert on you), look at every sign with an eye icon to mark hunting and fishing spots on the map, and as you go, stop off in these spots to get as many different hunting and fishing challenges completed as you can in holland valley (quite a lot), doing any prepper stashes you find on the way. As you go, sell your skins and fish, and buy different weapons, changing them out regularly so you can complete the different weapon challenges as you go (any animal you kill with a gun counts for both its skinning challenge AND the challenge for the gun you used on it!). During my experimental play through, I did this to an almost rediculous extent, taking almost 5 hours and making tens of thousands of dollars because I wanted to see how far I could develop the character without leaving holland valley or getting any resistance points, and also because I never got bored doing it. The hunting and fishing experience in FC5 is incredibly well done, much much better than the previous games, or really my other game, and the landscape is just so fulfilling to explore. I climbed mountains at the edge of the map that I knew damn well had no prepper stashes (the only mission-esque thing you can do without getting screwed by resistance points, each is worth some cash and 3 skill points) because I just loved exploring the world, even without doing anything specific.

But obviously none of this is neccessary for you, you can get enough money and perk points to get yourself a decent collections of guns, and the most essential skills like the first health upgrade, holster upgrade, and an ammo upgrade just from doing like 3 prepper stashes while hunting with different guns and fishing along the way. Talk to EVERY civilian you see with a blue diamond exclamation point marker above their head, and you'll mark most of the prepper stashes in holland very quickly. Make a few far-flung stashes your waypoints for this character development journey (as well as doing the two right near Dutchs) and you'll have a well developed character, certainly enough to properly enjoy the main story, after just an hr or two of play, without accruing a SINGLE resistance point! Do it like that and you'll be well ahead of that insidious content-stealing feature, and after doing Falls end, you can be much more relaxed about how you play the game.

Sorry this post turned out so long, but the complex nature of this crap required a somewhat in depth explanation so new FC5 players can avoid its pitfalls and avoid having the game pull the rug out from under them. Also sorry for my digressions, I love Far Cry 5, now that I can avoid this garbage well, it's become my new favorite Far Cry, and one of my favorite games ever, but this nonsense still fills me with rage, and I hate to think about all the new players who probably gave up on the game after this crap happened to them.

**TL;DR**
    Do prepper stashes, hunting, fishing, and gun challenges before ANYTHING else
    Avoid random events like herpes
    Don't use roads in the early part of the game (ATV in forest adventure)
    Get boomer, but don't do a single mission untill you have your character kitted out enough to do the surprisingly hard falls end mission, then do that, and its subsequent story missions
    Don't do any side quests untill you finish a region, remember that they don't autocomplete ever (you get more money that way anyway)
    **/TL;DR**
     27 people found this helpful

MikeWeeks's Avatar Senior Member
    Some very interesting points. I've just done enough to get 3 RPs (one per region), but am thinking of starting again in order to concentrate only on perk points.
     2 people found this helpful

Flanker1Six's Avatar Senior Member
    WOW! What a post!

Ssooooooo let me see if I understand you. You're saying Ubi kinda screwed the pootch (not Boomer!) with game play design and forced endings? Oh, and REALLY GREAT endings at that! My theory is game design, large quantities of alcohol and Raw Pork Swirl ice cream don't go well together!

Couldn't agree more with you! Well written and good advice though!

My advice to Ubi is to stick to making games and NEVER, and I mean NEVER ]make nuclear weapons!!

Cons72's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by DrBAMF123 Go to original post

Life motto, there.
     3 people found this helpful

Good post and absolutely right, Ubisoft really need to raise the resi point cap to about 50,000, i'm holding off doing a second playthrough in the hope that they do this and hopefully give us an expert difficulty as the game is way to easy on hard.

they need to reduce rp payouts by half on everything and they would help a lot

MikeWeeks's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Gr4nt8r0dy Go to original post
    they need to reduce rp payouts by half on everything and they would help a lot
    It's a start to be sure. However the built-in game design of what takes place when reaching the RP milestones regarding specific story missions should also be addressed.

Thank you a million times DrBam this is very good sound advice folks this fan is trying to save the series and Jesus Christ be praised once more.

Now I will add to this glorious thread and in adding to the authors instantaneous hard work, it is also possible to continue exploring John Seed and Jacob Seeds regions with Eden cultists still around by following these guidelines for each seed

Jacob Seed: once dealt with, if you avoid going to his armory you'll never run out of cultists to kill in the whitetail mountains.

John Seed: Either deal with him and ignore his bunker or avoid the confrontation at falls end, in doing so both ways cultists will remain a big problem for you in The Valley.

Faith region of henbane is where you must really watch from all sides as there is no way to keep cultists around after Faiths awful climax. Once done all cultists vanish like the bliss.
     5 people found this helpful

Virtual-Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by DrBAMF123 Go to original post
    **TL;DR**
    Do prepper stashes, hunting, fishing, and gun challenges before ANYTHING else
    Don't use roads in the early part of the game (ATV in forest adventure)
    Get boomer, but don't do a single mission untill you have your character kitted out enough to do the surprisingly hard falls end mission, then do that, and its subsequent story missions
    Don't do any side quests untill you finish a region, remember that they don't autocomplete ever (you get more money that way anyway)
    **/TL;DR**
    This is solid advice for any of the recent Far Cry games (3, 4 or 5). I always start by hunting and exploring off roads (in my case on foot) to build up my character and kit. Then do the a few story missions, and fill in some time between story missions with side missions. The only key difference here, as you say, is that you're best off leaving side missions until a region is clear. Once a region is clear, you can fly, drive or boat anywhere you want with only the very occasional encounter.

I actually missed the Falls Cry mission (to liberate the town) because I made the mistake of getting too many RP points on my way there. I was already past the first level in John's region which seemed to clear the town automatically. Major downer.

BTW, in this game, I noticed that outposts and missions got progressively harder - the number of enemies coming from every different angle becomes unmanageable. I'm not sure if they track to your character's health and skill set or just ramp up in difficulty incrementally... but some of the side missions that I saved until towards the end (like the Gold Mine) were very difficult.

There are numerous bugs in various missions as well... making a couple insanely easy and a couple impossible... another good reason to start by hunting and character building in hopes that by the time you get to some story and side missions the bugs are patched.

Something else that they can do... I'm sure everyone has inadvertently taken down a civilian in the game. You get that red warning bar across the top part of the screen. Why not penalize a player for that by minus whatever resistance points? If you get +50 points for a hostage rescue, make it a -50 points for catching a civilian in the cross fire or getting in the way of running down a cultist.
     8 people found this helpful

Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last ►►