hi. I'm in the design phase of a home-built stick, but the trigger is worrying me. I'm curious as to how real planes dealt with the multitude of cannons/MG. Were there multiple triggers, or switches on the dash-board? Was it possible to switch quickly and easily between guns?

Not the Spit (know how that works) or the Russian planes with thumb-controlled triggers please as I'm going for a more German-ish stick, more mainstay, with the trigger behind the stick and used by the index finger.

Also, how much control was there over the planes with a really large array of weapons? Is SOW ever likely to introduce a 3-or-more-trigger plane of some kind? Does that even exist?

hi. I'm in the design phase of a home-built stick, but the trigger is worrying me. I'm curious as to how real planes dealt with the multitude of cannons/MG. Were there multiple triggers, or switches on the dash-board? Was it possible to switch quickly and easily between guns?

Not the Spit (know how that works) or the Russian planes with thumb-controlled triggers please as I'm going for a more German-ish stick, more mainstay, with the trigger behind the stick and used by the index finger.

Also, how much control was there over the planes with a really large array of weapons? Is SOW ever likely to introduce a 3-or-more-trigger plane of some kind? Does that even exist?

Here is a replica of a KG13 control column (as used in the Bf109, FW190 etc.):

The button on the top of the stick was for Cannon; the index-finger paddle-flap type button was for MGs and also folded over the Cannon button as a safety guard; the button on the left side of the stick was the release button for external ordinance.

Hope this helps...

Cool! I wish there where joysticks like that available over the counter.

WTE_Ibis's Avatar Senior Member
    Actually there is, can't find the link but someone will I'm sure.
    You may need near a thousand Euros though.

Found it. there you go, you have to buy the base then the stick replica.

http://www.valiant-studio.eu/tarmac/html/en/hangar.php

In many of the cockpits in IL-2 you can actually see the buttons on the control column and see them activated. If I recall correctly, you can see this on the Hurricane stick and I know for sure that on the IL-2 stick you can see the safety covers flip up when you launch your external ordinance.

Some of the Japanese navy planes, the Zero and the George for sure, had the cannon trigger on the throttle. The animation is in the game, though it's hard to see at times.

Haigotron's Avatar Senior Member
    Now that's a stick, I'm ashamed of my own short stick now...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haigotron:
    Now that's a stick, I'm ashamed of my own short stick now... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks guys. Very helpful. That KG13 shot is the clearest I've seen yet. Hum, interesting. Is that a pinky switch I see there, or just a nut/bolt/screw sticking out?

The planes with many, many guns like the Hurri, what kind of trigger does it have?

Ok, back to the drawing board to hash it out. Thanks again!