jsdratm's Avatar Junior Member

Using DJ Lights with Rocksmith

Hey Rocksmithers, I wanted to post a follow up to a previous thread where I had asked if anyone had any good ideas for lighting that could work with Rocksmith. Someone suggested the American DJ Stinger II, so I looked up some videos of it and decided to spring for it! I had no idea what I was doing in terms of DJ lighting and the other lights I looked at appeared to be cheap effects or only did one thing well.

The unit I got has several different lights built into it: Moonflower (multi-colored LED array), UV (blacklight) strobe, and lasers (green + red). I wasn't sure how I would be able to interface it with Rocksmith, but it is able to hear the beat of the music or you can go crazy and program your own light shows using the DMX interface. I listen with headphones and wasn't sure how well it would work, but it still looks great even when it can't hear anything in the room.

While I'm playing I generally pick a color theme using my remote control to fit the mood. My favorites are green, blue, red, or some combination of the three. While I'm playing it cycles through lighting patterns randomly because I am in sound control mode and it ends up looking pretty cool, especially when the lasers kick in. The only negative I can think of is that I am paranoid about accidentally looking at the lasers, so I am careful not to stare directly at it. With the remote, I can put it in standby mode while my back is turned and then walk over and power it off.

These things aren't free and I ended up dropping $230 on it. I was a bit reluctant to spend so much, but in the end I was pretty happy with what I got and it adds a LOT to the atmosphere in my room while I'm jamming out. I would also like to try getting a fog machine to see how the lasers look with fog in my room. It isn't for everyone, but I wanted to share my story in case anyone else was interested in supplementing their Rocksmith setup with some cool lighting!

1 people found this helpful

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    I love it. I need to pick up more lighting. I do find it fun.

I picked up a Chavet DJ Bank a while back and really like it.

I like yours even more.

So much fun!

I will add that it is semi-functional as well. It allows me to see the fretboard without really bright room lights on.

ZagatoZee's Avatar Member
    That looks fun - I'm glad you found something that wasn't insanely expensive, but does what you want.

I will say however - your comment about a smoke machine raised my eye brows.

Smoke machines, small rooms and PC's don't work nicely together for long - and it is usually the PC that suffers.

If you do decide to go this way, please make sure your PC has some high quality HEPA filters on it and you change / clean them frequently after smoke machine use.

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    Smoke machines are not "smoke".

They are essentially like putting dry ice in water ... what is that CO2?

Just gas, no dust or smoke particles.

Might help cool a PC if direct injected.

Then I could be wrong, never tried the 2 together to test this assumption.

The_Working_Man's Avatar Senior Member
    Those lights are freaking awesome! Please make a video of them listening and reacting to some music that you play. 😎

Originally Posted by rcole_sooner Go to original post

Yeah, people and CO2 in a small room don't mix very well either so definitely do some homework and follow the ventilation guidance before adding the fog machine to the party.

Looks cool. Do you have friends over while you play or is it all just a part of your rock n roll fantasy?

ZagatoZee's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by rcole_sooner Go to original post

Just gas, no dust or smoke particles.

Might help cool a PC if direct injected.

Then I could be wrong, never tried the 2 together to test this assumption.
    It really depends on the type used. I used to do tech support for a place that had a large nightclub on one of its floors. The PC's there (cash registers, overhead display rigs, projectors, dj booth, security cameras etc) all had massive issues with dust buildup that wasn't present on the other floors. We were basically having to change HEPA filters every week, or the systems would be starved of air.

The nightclub ran 2 nights a week, the other floors had approx the same number of people over the day, every day - but those needed filters changed about twice a year.

Hence my advice above.