Zoro's Avatar Community Representative

R6 Community Discusses - The 2018 Invitational

Hello and welcome back to the "R6 Community Discusses" series!

The goal of this series is to open conversation on specific topics so players can share their feedback, suggestions, and share tips&strategies with their fellow players. We encourage newer players to ask questions and for our more experienced users to offer whatever advice they can on the subject. Any posts that detract from the discussion, target other users specifically, or are offensive in general will be removed.

This week we're going to be discussing the recent Invitational!

1.) What was your favorite moment of Gameplay throughout the tournament? (Highlight clips are welcome!)

2.) What did you think about the production and scheduling of the event?

3.) Did you participate in the Twitch drops? Do you like this type of giveaway during our events?

4.) How did you feel about the Outbreak and Chimera reveals? Which of the changes/updates are you most looking forward to in the upcoming season?

5.) Would you be interested in attending future Pro League events if you were able to?

6.) Any ideas for how we could make future tournaments and events even better?

I'm excited to hear how you guys felt about the Invitational overall and hear some of your suggestions for how we can make these types of events better for the community!

And as always, join any of our previous conversations here: https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...ses-All-Topics

WBBCoop's Avatar Senior Member
    I'm not really into the sport of spectating tbh, but I did try and was only lucky enough to catch the last segment of the reveal (about 20 min). What little I did see and hear gave me a few butterflies in my tummy. I'm very excited for Siege's future.

I thought the charm giveaway for the viewers was a great idea for raising twitch attendance and showing appreciation for the players in general. I find the whole linking accounts to this that and the other too confusing for someone like me who has been mainly on console and not in the loop with accounts. Im not sure, but if there was a way to have an in game link on console that opens the browser to the appropriate pages to link and watch. Just an idea.

I would love to attend an event and plan on making plans for the kids and I to check one out. Hopefully soon.

Can a mod please sticky this for Zzzoro before he wakes up? I think he's been overworked the last few days. Thanks
     1 people found this helpful

I'm not into pro league viewing at all. Never watched a single second of one of these things. Rather be playing the game myself than watching the ultra-sweaty play on twitch.

xcel30's Avatar Senior Member
    Don't give a danm about the pro league, the actual panels where nice, but danm the person responsable for the balancing panel seemed level headed and making smart choices, the complete oposite of the people responsable for developing the new ops seemed out of their mind and throwing a bunch of random stuff that are not even balanced properly and honestly don't seem to think that their new ops are already causing a headache. Now about those twich drops, that system honestly sucks and should be thrown out, division devs tried with their skins, it also resulted in bunch of people not getting them properly and seems to be a barely tested system

NATural22cHANce's Avatar Senior Member
    Don't have time to write out an elaborate post but I found the whole event to be very enjoyable. The games were fantastic, they were casted well, and the panels were very interesting. Kinda bummed that my EG boys from NA couldn't close it out but hats off to Penta for an amazing finals.

My only suggestion would be to upgrade the in-game spectator system (if possible) so the broadcast will capture (ideally) all 10 players POV so we could see replays of big plays in between rounds or during prep phases. Whoever operates the spectator cam does a great job but it's impossible not to miss stuff and it would be nice to get a second look at a kill that happened off camera.
     2 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by DarthCynical Go to original post
    I'm not into pro league viewing at all. Never watched a single second of one of these things. Rather be playing the game myself than watching the ultra-sweaty play on twitch.
    I get where you're coming from, but I will say this: Watching the best players and seeing how they deal with setting up certain objectives or approaching situations definitely rubs off. Even if you don't care about the competition aspect of the Pro League, there is a wealth of strategy-knowledge that you could be taking ideas from.

Originally Posted by xcel30 Go to original post
    Don't give a danm about the pro league, the actual panels where nice, but danm the person responsable for the balancing panel seemed level headed and making smart choices, the complete oposite of the people responsable for developing the new ops seemed out of their mind and throwing a bunch of random stuff that are not even balanced properly and honestly don't seem to think that their new ops are already causing a headache. Now about those twich drops, that system honestly sucks and should be thrown out, division devs tried with their skins, it also resulted in bunch of people not getting them properly and seems to be a barely tested system
    I've gotta disagree about Lion/Finka being completely overpowered—I've seen them do very well on the TS but I've also seen them be shutdown completely. We'll have to wait and see if the team wants to make any adjustments.

We know the twitch drop system was a headache for many viewers, we will be working on making that a smoother process for future events.

Originally Posted by NATural22cHANce Go to original post
    Don't have time to write out an elaborate post but I found the whole event to be very enjoyable. The games were fantastic, they were casted well, and the panels were very interesting. Kinda bummed that my EG boys from NA couldn't close it out but hats off to Penta for an amazing finals.

My only suggestion would be to upgrade the in-game spectator system (if possible) so the broadcast will capture (ideally) all 10 players POV so we could see replays of big plays in between rounds or during prep phases. Whoever operates the spectator cam does a great job but it's impossible not to miss stuff and it would be nice to get a second look at a kill that happened off camera.
    Glad you enjoyed the show! That type of spectator system would be incredible, I'll share the suggestion.

Originally Posted by WBBCoop Go to original post
    I'm not really into the sport of spectating tbh, but I did try and was only lucky enough to catch the last segment of the reveal (about 20 min). What little I did see and hear gave me a few butterflies in my tummy. I'm very excited for Siege's future.

I thought the charm giveaway for the viewers was a great idea for raising twitch attendance and showing appreciation for the players in general. I find the whole linking accounts to this that and the other too confusing for someone like me who has been mainly on console and not in the loop with accounts. Im not sure, but if there was a way to have an in game link on console that opens the browser to the appropriate pages to link and watch. Just an idea.

I would love to attend an event and plan on making plans for the kids and I to check one out. Hopefully soon.

Can a mod please sticky this for Zzzoro before he wakes up? I think he's been overworked the last few days. Thanks
    I'm also very excited for what the future holds for Siege, good things are on the horizon.

2018 Attendee Invitational Charm

Has any one experienced any issues redeeming there Charm, Skin and R6 points from the invitational?

Thanks

1.) What was your favorite moment of Gameplay throughout the tournament? (Highlight clips are welcome!)

I don't actually have a specific moment. I felt with the crowd, announcers, and players, they all made those tense moments and big plays all the better. The stage and arena setup made for a really awesome experience.

2.) What did you think about the production and scheduling of the event?

Production was a little shaky at time, but overall to me it went really well. It seemed that across the tournament, everyone was still getting their feet wet so-to-speak from the castors up through top level of production. I understand that for some of the castors, it was their first major event. You could feel the nerves for some of them and the lack of connection between some of the castors. It felt like there was not much preparation time for everyone to get acquainted with one another.

Also, forgive me as I cannot remember their names, but who was in charge of dress/make-up? Who kept making the bearded castor with glasses keep taking his glasses on and off? I hope it wasn't something with his contacts bothering him because I know what that's like, but I also hope it wasn't someone not knowing what was better for the guy...it was just weird to see him keep switching between the two.

Overall, the castors got better by the end of the tournament. They started getting a better flow for banter between them while casting the game, and giving insight into strategies. In the beginning, a strategy would be named but with zero insight to either team's usage of it or explanation of the basis of the strategy. Instead, there was a lot of useless commentating with some friction between the announcers (not where they were getting upset with one another, but not being on the same page or going in the same direction with the conversation). But like I said, that got a lot better by the finals. I would attribute a good amount of the earlier jumbles to nerves and experience of working as a team.

Was the bald guy the host of this major, or the president of the league, or something else? I should definitely know so I apologize for not remembering. But I felt his parts felt a little forced at times, or just not written well. I think on the second or third day, it cut to just him with an invitational logo as the backdrop and he was speaking to the status of the different teams, and he just kept repeating himself and going in circles to kill time or the speech was just really written poorly. He did bring good energy to the arena, but I always feel for ELeague, it works better when the main host is at a desk with other analysts. You rely too much on crowd interaction and it can become a little awkward. Like when he pulled the Pulse gag - the crowd was noooot feeling it. But as the host being center stage, you're put off base when it does not go as planned and it's something that feels weird as a viewer but you can't quite put your finger on. If he was at a desk with other analysts, you can play to the crowd but when they do not react as well, an analyst or someone else at the table can save you and keep the banter going and keep the flow of presentation.

I felt that the videos the production team put together during interludes or technical timeouts were really good. I also felt that the side-casting from interviewing attendees and the crowd overall was pretty decent, especially the shout out to the winner of the operator design challenge. And I felt production did really well showing both team and crowd reactions.

Overall I honestly think the invitational went really well. I just believe that the castors need more time to gel, and to get a good balance with their talking points. Some small tweaks here and there could really make the production appear to be a finely tuned and well oiled machine.

3.) Did you participate in the Twitch drops? Do you like this type of giveaway during our events?

I did! But I found the system needing some fixing due to the number of issues that came out. I feel this type of giveaway is probably the best option to take care of all viewers because not every viewer wants to be in the comments section or be interacting as much with the stream. I do feel, however, Ubi could come up with ideas for those interacting with the invitational at a higher level as a reward.

4.) How did you feel about the Outbreak and Chimera reveals? Which of the changes/updates are you most looking forward to in the upcoming season?

I thought the reveals were great, and was super excited that there were panels of Ubi to help further the discussions. Honestly, I am most looking forward to these map adjustments on both fronts that will be coming out and the closer look at operator balancing. Since Year 3 is essentially the year of Maturity for them, I have high hopes for the game to move in a more polished, balanced direction.

5.) Would you be interested in attending future Pro League events if you were able to?

Most definitely. I am currently planning on attending a CSGO final or Major, and would love to add Siege to the mix. I live in New Hampshire so it just depends on where these are located

6.) Any ideas for how we could make future tournaments and events even better?

I would say, do not be afraid to make models/set expectations while using CSGO broadcasts as an example. Their teams of broadcasters and analysts gel very well with one another, and there is a ton of insight that they bring to the game all without missing a beat while announcing. They obviously have an advantage since there is already a huge history with CS as a game overall, and they have many seasons under their belt, but they're basically the top dog for FPS pro league broadcasts with preparation, key faces of broadcasts, extra visuals and smoothness of going between front desk to commentators to game, etc. Eleague is also doing a very good broadcast for CSGO - both seem to have production teams managing them similar to traditional sport broadcasts which is a huge help. It could also be why I lean towards them since I've played and watched traditional sports all my life. I do personally believe, however, this model presents the most structured approach.
     2 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by Ubi-Zoro Go to original post
    I get where you're coming from, but I will say this: Watching the best players and seeing how they deal with setting up certain objectives or approaching situations definitely rubs off. Even if you don't care about the competition aspect of the Pro League, there is a wealth of strategy-knowledge that you could be taking ideas from.
    True, but I'd still rather play the game and discover things myself. It's always more fun to me to discover a new angle or whatever–whether from a kill cam or messing around–on my own. One of my favorite things to do lately is using Capitao to counter bandit tricksters on Chalet. This may or may not have been a well known strategy in the Super Sweaty League circles, but I only discovered it a while ago from watching another teammate. Far more satisfying than being told what to do by a pro sweat stain.
     1 people found this helpful

Thanks for the feedback this week, everyone!

Join the next discussion on Objectives HERE.