Anyone out there with a hand ingury?

My ring finger on my fretting hand recently will slide off the knuckle when making a fist. I had an x-ray and MRI. The Dr gave me a brace/splint thing to prevent it from happening while it heals. It's hard to find info on this issue. Anyone else hear of it? I have a tear in my sagittal band? Anyway, the Dr said it surgery wasn't needed yet and might recover. If so, I'm worried about it happening again. Anyone know a way to strengthen or prevent this? thanks

I did not get this from the usual impact injury. I'm guessing it was the solo I worked on all summer. Damn typo, can't edit the title
     1 people found this helpful

The_Working_Man's Avatar Senior Member
    Yikes, that sounds ugly (and painful)!

Instead of a splint you should get them to put a glass slide on that finger so you can play some George Thorogood.

Kynlore's Avatar Senior Member
    Yeah, that sounds like it would hurt. I wish I could offer some advice.

I tore a ligament in the wrist on my fretting hand last year and it took about a month before I could play again at all, and then another 3 months were I could only play 10-15 minutes at a time. I am now able to play as long as I want with no issues. The physical therapist I worked with gave the advice that anytime there is damage to any connective tissue, tendons, Ligaments etc. that during the healing process if doing something hurts you need to stop immediately, a little ache is OK but any sharp pain at all stop, then after the pain has gone down start the activity again.
     1 people found this helpful

Thanks. I didn't really have sharp pain. This just started happening out of the blue. Did they give you some type of rehab exercises?

They did but probably not relevant for your specific injury since it mostly focused on strengthening and stretching the wrist and forearm. If you look up the Carpel Tunnel preventative exercises that is about 90% of what they had me doing. If you can I would check with your Dr and see if he can refer you to a physical therapist, they would have much better insight to your injury.

thanks - and I am planning to run to home depot to custom make a slide out of some PVC pipe. this way i can fit my middle finger in there as well to protect the bad ring finger

Mad_Al__'s Avatar Member
    Possibly think about getting a fretting hand exercise liker a Varigrip to help build strength, I would strongly recommend seeking medical advice before taking on any strength building exercises, Sometime you can do more harm than good in the early days of recovery, A hand injury won't hold you back if you want to play, look at Tony Iommi, Hound Dog Taylor and Jerry Garcia, they lost parts or indeed whole fingers. Personally I'b be looking at ways to play that rested the finger completely,

I've contracted shingles, so guitar playing is super painful and I can't hold a pick. So I went a bought a thumb pick and a practice glove. I'm back playing. There's always a way. It's dedication that holds us back!

Yep, I was knocked off my bike just over 2 years ago and crushed my left wrist to bits. Was in a cast for nearly 5 months, then had a second operation 18 months later to remove the metalwork they used because it was causing huge mobility problems. I now have no cartilage, arthritis, can hardly bend it, it aches like you wouldn't believe, and as weak as a baby. Couldn't even hit a power chord till a couple of weeks ago.

It's early days but I think Rocksmith might be doing me all sorts of good in some kind of recovery (only had the game a week or so and my left hand feels stronger already). Best physio ever!

Thinking in terms of "strengthening" is part of the problem, imo. You shouldn't have to muscle your way through songs, no matter how difficult they are.

What you should try to focus on instead is removing any and all unnecessary tension and extraneous movement from your playing style. This is especially important on fret hand - a lot of guitarists will push way harder into frets than they have to, when you should be almost entirely relaxed even when you're fretting every string.

Try this: Fret a note, any note, and start picking it steadily. While continuing to pick the note, very slowly, take pressure away from the fret. See how little pressure you can fret with and still have the note ring out. That is the ideal you're aiming for all the time.

I was experiencing some RSI-like symptoms a few months ago and was really worried I was going to have to stop going as hard on guitar. But after paying a lot of attention to improving my form, I was able to resume rocking out all day without any pain! Hoping this helps you, too.