<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Now that I think about it, this numbering system is base 5, and only base 5. Look at the number 6. It's 5 + 1. 7 is 5 + 2. etc. So, really, decimal places are the amount of characters needed to create a number. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Thanks for trying ArmyKnife... but i'm afraid it doesn't really work like that... as per my previous post about numberng systems.

the main problem with your approach is that you're adding numbers. (that does happen within a square in d'ni numbers... but that's not what a 'base' is as far as number systems go.) digits get multiplied by the base...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> the value of this number is actually figured out by taking the digits, multiplying them by the base of the number system to the power of the column number <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

secondly... if it were base 5, and you did multiply the seperate numbers that appear in a square by the base to the power of the column number... wait... there's the problem... the d'ni character for 7 is the symbols for 5 and 2, but which one comes first?

(2x5^1)+(5x5^0)=15
    or
    (5x5^1)+(2x5^0)=27

as you can see, no matter wich comes first the value is still wrong.

the BASE is 25, bases are multiplied, not added. there is also the extra level to this system that has the numbers added within the squares to make digits up to 24. because those 'sub digits' go in groups of five i see why people have confused it.. (for a little while anywyas)

it really just come down to what a BASE is. maybe 5 could be a sub-sequence? or a repeater? i don't know... maybe they'll make a d'ni term for it.

It really is an interesting system.

Thanks. You see, the most I've ever had on how to do bases was about 20 minutes of teaching last year. I'm in 9th grade (takin geometry, coulda been done w/ calculous by now but I decided not to super-accelerate). I take it most of you hear have gone through college? Or at least Alg. 2.

no problem...
    no college here... but have done a lot with computers, you pick up binary and hexidecimal when you get into the technical stuff. after that any other system is pretty easy too.

Taking a look over everyone's work here and it all looks very nice and all but here is something I don't see here, and that is how to tranulate a large number say 1435 into a D'ni number, without the aid of a program. So here we go I'll get right into it for you.

First sence I can't use the D'ni characters here on the forms I'm going to use leters instead of the D'ni characters.

Taking a look over everyone's work here and it all looks very nice and all but here is something I don't see here, and that is how to translate a large number say 1435 into a D'ni number, without the aid of a program. So here we go I'll get right into it for you.

First since I can't use the D'ni characters here on the forms I'm going to use letters instead of the D'ni characters.

A=1 B=2 C=3 ... Y=25 Z=0

So now we divide the number we wish to translate by 26 (The number of numbers we can make with one character... don't forget zero)

So 1435/26 = 55 with a remainder of 5 (or E)

You then divide the answer by 26 also.

55/26 = 2 with a remainder of 3 (or C)

You keep doing this until you reach zero.

2/26 = 0 with a remainder of 2 (or B)

You then shift down the numbers so that the very last division you did is the very first when going left to right.

So 1435=BCE

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
    -+-----+- -+-----+- -+-----+-
    |\ | | / | | |
    | \ | | / | | |
    | | | |&lt; | |-----|
    | / | | \ | | |
    |/ | | \ | | |
    -+-----+- -+-----+- -+-----+-
    </pre>

Woops I made a big mistake here. Can anyone see what I did wrong? (I see what I did wrong but can you?)

you divided by 26, when you should have divided by 25.

Page 4 of 4 ◄◄  First ... 234