LEBillfish's Avatar Senior Member
    Asking out of pure ignorance my education limited to CRT's.......What is the difference between LED monitors and LED HD TV's by today's standards?

IOW, are they essentially the same?

Thanks for your response,

K2

Asking out of pure ignorance my education limited to CRT's.......What is the difference between LED monitors and LED HD TV's by today's standards?

IOW, are they essentially the same?

Thanks for your response,

K2

Well, it depends on the model for the most part but they are pretty similar these days. Most HDTV's are running 1920x1080 resolution and a lot of monitors have gone that route as well (though I prefer 1920x1200). Make sure if you want to use an HDTV for your pc that it's 1080P not 720P as that will be quite a low resolution for PC gaming. The difference is likely to be in contrast ratio as well as pixel response time (responsible for motion blur, though most tv's as well as monitors are up to snuff on this). Now the question is which will look better, 1920x1080 pixels on a 24" screen right on your desk, or 1920x1080 on a 40" screen across the room?

lol i have the 40" on my desk im about4 feet away

Make sure the TV is atleast 100Hz if you want to use it for Gaming also

Also, LED screens usually consume 1/2 or less of the power that an LCD screen of the same size will.

Thanks guys!

K2

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rjb1fgc:
    Also, LED screens usually consume 1/2 or less of the power that an LCD screen of the same size will. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While what you said is technically true, I would like to say this for everyone's education, the is NO SUCH THING as an LED TV. They are all LCD's but the difference is instead of using CCFL's (Cold Cathode Florescent Lighting) for the backlight they use LED's, which do use less energy. Now some LCD's with LED backlights have them along the edge of the screen (edge lit) and this works but is not ideal as there is less control over the lighting in the center of the screen and there can be bleeding of light along the edges, some have an array of LEDs behind the screen and these can be individually darkened to increase the blackness of blacks in individual parts of the screen and make for a very nice picture indeed.

Almost every TV or LCD monitor has them behind the screen now a days, and some have 3 collor LEDs now also, so they can not only brighten o darken a image but also enhance the collors.

For TV's the future seems to be Laser technology, i have no idea how it works, it just give a sharper images and uses verry verry little power, they also preduce a verry good 3D image (No Glasses Needed!), i cant even imagine how incredible that must look on a 3 meter/10 feet screen.