🛈 Announcement
Greetings! The Rainbow Six Siege forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game

Raising the price to $60 USD for a two year old game? Are you serious, Ubisoft?

Siege has been out for more than two years now. Why the hell would you raise the price of the game back to $60 and remove the standard edition? Do you want newcomers to the game or not?
    I have recommended the game to dozens of people and at least ten of them have become regular players. I will not be recommending people to buy a two year old multiplayer-only game for $60 when you still have to grind 25 hours per DLC operator on top of base ops and attachments.

Is there any reasonable explanation for this? Sure, 600 whole Ubibucks and lootboxes, that justifies the $20 price increase!

Ubisoft, what the hell?
     7 people found this helpful

Perihellion's Avatar Senior Member
    Is there any reasonable explanation for this?

Yes, hackers and toxic kids.

Sgt Astor's Avatar Senior Member
    Man, some old Call of duty games have even higher price
    R6 gets new ops and maps every 3 months so I think the rpice is OK.
     1 people found this helpful

UbiNoty's Avatar Community Manager
    The new advanced edition also includes 10 outbreak packs (not counting the 4 you get for logging in) and an additional +600 R6 credits.
     2 people found this helpful

WBBCoop's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Nunk- Go to original post
    Siege has been out for more than two years now. Why the hell would you raise the price of the game back to $60 and remove the standard edition? Do you want newcomers to the game or not?
    Honestly, the newcomers are hosed in terms of unlocking the current ops no matter how you slice it. The grind is so enormous that they are forced to buy season passes, R6 credits, or buy a more expensive edition. *cough bummer for the new guys that seasons one and two passes are history cough*. Ubisoft would either have to cave to those that want cheaper prices on 'older ops', or repackage the game to include years of dlc ops. Basically we only need the starter and a full price standard edition (which is realistically our current gold edition), and a top shelf edition .

I find the "underhanded" (honesty) by Ubi, that forces the new guys to pony up for more content up front, enlightening. This way we don't have the new guys disgruntled when they find out how impossible it's going to be unlocking everyone and everything.

I could be wrong, but honestly, am I right about how long or how much it's taking the 'newcomers' to enjoy the party? They have sales all the time too, but we'll leave that part out of this discussion for now.

nrod3041's Avatar Senior Member
    Some folks need to read up on some business, take a class, or something. Understandably, maybe most in the player base are younger and haven't taken some business/marketing courses.

Nevertheless, Ubisoft is a publicly traded company and they are in the business of earning a profit. These decisions and changes fall on a host of groups in Ubisoft that include marketing folks, strategy, financial, AND the developers. What is ideal for the consumer is not always ideal for the company overall.

And before the Chicken Littles come out of the woodwork with their predictions of doom, just google Ubisoft's company information including annual statements and press releases. Read it enough and folks can get a basic idea of how the company is doing, regardless of business acumen. In any case, futile attempts to complain on here are just that, futile. This is but a microcosm of the Rainbow Six Siege universe, and even more so Ubisoft's overall product portfolio.

UbiNoty
    The new advanced edition also includes 10 outbreak packs (not counting the 4 you get for logging in) and an additional +600 R6 credits.
    Sure, the advanced edition provides 10 lootboxes for players who want it. However, why remove the standard edition from the game? Why not have both the standard and the advanced edition? By deleting the standard edition and forcing the "advanced" edition onto players, Ubisoft effectively raised the price of a game by 50% two years after launch.

nrod3041
    Nevertheless, Ubisoft is a publicly traded company and they are in the business of earning a profit. These decisions and changes fall on a host of groups in Ubisoft that include marketing folks, strategy, financial, AND the developers. What is ideal for the consumer is not always ideal for the company overall.
    Thank you for your insight, who knew that companies made products for money? The point here is that they could've released the Advanced Edition and kept the regular standard edition in the game. By adding lootboxes and a paltry 600 Ubipoints to the standard edition, they justify raising the price of the game to a staggering fully priced $60. By all accounts, R6S has exploded in popularity and people are buying up cosmetics and elite skins by the thousands. There is no justification for bumping the price up from 40. You don't get even get anything worthwhile either - the 600 points is enough for one (1) DLC operator out of dozens.
     3 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by Nunk- Go to original post
    Sure, the advanced edition provides 10 lootboxes for players who want it. However, why remove the standard edition from the game? Why not have both the standard and the advanced edition? By deleting the standard edition and forcing the "advanced" edition onto players, Ubisoft effectively raised the price of a game two years after launch.

Thank you for your insight, who knew that companies made products for money? The point here is that they could've released the Advanced Edition and kept the regular standard edition in the game. By adding lootboxes and a paltry 600 Ubipoints to the standard edition, they justify raising the price of the game to a staggering fully priced $60. By all accounts, R6S has exploded in popularity and people are buying up cosmetics and elite skins by the thousands. There is no justification for bumping the price up 50%.
    <There is no justification for bumping the price up 50%>

^^^^^ Do you know how ridiculous this statement sounds? So, making maximum profit for shareholders is not "justification". Read that again, especially if you were an Ubisoft shareholder and you found out Ubisoft could have made more profit, but felt there was no "justification". Thats how CEO's get fired.

Please read the insight again, because business does not work that way, especially when you have shareholders to answer to, amongst other things. "Leaving money on the table", i.e. charging 30% more when you could have charged 50% ? No rational business owner would do it. Business is not in the business of charity. Business is in the business of business. Let charities do the charity thing.

You charge the most the market will bear, and if succeeds, then great. Obviously shareholders are happy - more profit for them. Consumers must be happy because they "voted" with their dollars and bought your product.

If not, you drop the price, if that is part of your strategy. <----- That would be the "justification" you seem to be getting mixed up.

Originally Posted by nrod3041 Go to original post
    <There is no justification for bumping the price up 50%>

^^^^^ Do you know how ridiculous this statement sounds? So, making maximum profit for shareholders is not "justification". Read that again, especially if you were an Ubisoft shareholder and you found out Ubisoft could have made more profit, but felt there was no "justification". Thats how CEO's get fired.

Please read the insight again, because business does not work that way, especially when you have shareholders to answer to, amongst other things. "Leaving money on the table", i.e. charging 30% more when you could have charged 50% ? No rational business owner would do it. Business is not in the business of charity. Business is in the business of business. Let charities do the charity thing.

You charge the most the market will bear, and if succeeds, then great. Obviously shareholders are happy - more profit for them. Consumers must be happy because they "voted" with their dollars and bought your product.

If not, you drop the price, if that is part of your strategy. <----- That would be the "justification" you seem to be getting mixed up.
    Exactlyk, business 101. I mean that as in, yeah, way to go on your intro course, maybe take some more. Oh nice shock, gamers are ******ed and buy whatever they want, and that's a good enough reason to tell the people who look sideways at a shady business practice that they're the fools because they're smart enough not to fall for such idiocy, but being critical of a strategy that will still be succesful because there are too many people who aren't smart enough. What a nice catch 22, yeah?

Originally Posted by AceBandito Go to original post
    Exactlyk, business 101. I mean that as in, yeah, way to go on your intro course, maybe take some more. Oh nice shock, gamers are ******ed and buy whatever they want, and that's a good enough reason to tell the people who look sideways at a shady business practice that they're the fools because they're smart enough not to fall for such idiocy, but being critical of a strategy that will still be succesful because there are too many people who aren't smart enough. What a nice catch 22, yeah?
    P.T. Barnum: "There's a sucker born every minute."

There are obviously enough folk buying Ubisoft's products, so there must be many "suckers". So, call me a "sucker" then. This is discretionary income for me and many others, and its entertainment. And, again: If you own equipment running this game worth 10-20X the game's price (and its running over the internet (HS connection),which is more money, I (and probably a lot of others) have a hard time being sympathetic. C'mon man.

That you got "suckered"? Happens.

Unhappy about it? Happens.

Predicting Ubisoft's doom as a result of this: <---- Now, thats kinda stretching it.

I have had a great time playing RB6 - Siege since it came out, and willfully buy the next SP. It is my money, right? I can do what I want with it, right? Sooooooo, do what you want with your money? If you dont like the game......dont buy it. Man....pretty simple. Don't get whats so hard about that.

RB6 - Siege is not perfect. It has its faults, like most other things. I like it, and I buy the SP. However, if I didnt like it or didnt think it was worth, guess what? I wouldnt buy it. Nevertheless, I will live in my ignorant bliss having fun, while you (and the other detractors, naysayers, doomsday predictors, etc.) live in your "reality". Everyone will be just fine.