PLEASE stay AWAY from philosophy Ubisoft

After playing the most recent assassins creed game i am quite pleased that they have given up in their philosophy of good and evil as being just a matter of perspective nonsense. The writers for this series are certainly not intelligent enough to dabble with such serious stuff so i'm glad they went back to just making a great game with great mechanics and a story that is easy to get into without being too deep. Venturing into areas you don't understand will make a story appear even more pretentious and shallow. Assassins creed is a game that is primarily based around open world game play that allows you to explore historical places in great detail, it does this better than anyone, it adds quests and violence to keep the player entertained thus why we play as an assassin. The problem with the game is that by carrying out all these evil acts against what you believe to be an evil order the game tries to highlight that the assassins in their actions seem like they are no better which is welcomed fair enough but then goes on to try and denounce in any objective good and evil at all and this is done so you can feel better about your characters and their allies carrying out evil acts. The writers knew that if this game tried to push forward the good vs evil scenario the player would immediately not take it seriously enough realizing their characters action is no better and thus the story would remain shallow so they tried to push forward a philosophical agenda to give the game story more weight, it doesn't work as what they are pushing makes no sense and they now know this which is why they have abandoned it

Playing Assassins creed 2 and Brotherhood and reading the encyclopedia of historical sites around Italy of Churches and religious monuments i was appalled at how the game tried to portray religious orders throughout history, orders that were set up to help the poor etc the writers would sneer them as being only fronts to enrich themselves etc etc. It tried to attack the very institution that build western civilization and in doing so exposed their ignorance, they wanted to perpetuate a philosophy of neither good nor evil while contradicting this at every turn. The twisting of the historical encyclopedia and killing the pope during the sacrament of mass of all things was the game not just attacking some corrupt individual but the institution and all of Catholicism, it was chosen for a reason, to sneer. Of course the creators would be to too scared to do something similar to Islam . My point is their overall agenda of attacking Christianity and religion in general went so far as to leak out from the writers above the story itself, we get it guys you don't like religion, all authority is probably evil and be weary of anyone who tells you there is a right or wrong etc etc. Ironically of course the writers borrow from religion to create the very story they tell so no religion means no assassin creed story. Thankfully this is all the past and the writers have realized that noone takes it seriously enough so now their philosophy isn't being perpetuated, it's like they realize noone actually cares and thus are only focusing on a entertaining story line that is truly shallow because it is solely for entertainment purposes so we can enjoy playing as characters who partake in action and violence without the pretentious nonsense that there is a deeper reason for it being there. Thanks Guys
     1 people found this helpful

Sorry i made an error when i said you killed the pope as he didn't die at that point

bitebug2003's Avatar Global Moderator
    Hi paddy234,

If you didn't already know you can edit your post (click on the plus sign on the bottom right of your post).
     2 people found this helpful

I can see why you say this... But I full mentally diagree with almost everything you say.

LMAO. Oh what a great wall of text. Thanks for the laughs.

MnemonicSyntax you call that a wall of text? lol, sorry if it went right over your head

joshoolhorst fair enough

Originally Posted by paddy234 Go to original post
    MnemonicSyntax sorry if it went right over your head
    It didn't go over my head, it seemed to have gone over yours though.

But sure, stick to the elementary insults. About what I expect from a guy who has trouble discerning the grey between the black and white.

Originally Posted by MnemonicSyntax Go to original post
    It didn't go over my head, it seemed to have gone over yours though.

But sure, stick to the elementary insults. About what I expect from a guy who has trouble discerning the grey between the black and white.
    I know you might find the older philosophical element the game was trying to push as deep but i assure you it's not, as i said it was done to allow the player to emphasize and perhaps justify the actions you carry out in the game, it was done for no other reason than this. I have only played as far as revelations and now origins and therefore can only comment on the first game to revelations which tried to perpetuate this philosophy to now where it has abandoned it, the writers you could say have at least grown up. Reading your comment over i don't think you understood my post at all which is a shame

Originally Posted by paddy234 Go to original post
    I know you might find the older philosophical element the game was trying to push as deep but i assure you it's not, as i said it was done to allow the player to emphasize and perhaps justify the actions you carry out in the game, it was done for no other reason than this. I have only played as far as revelations and now origins and therefore can only comment on the first game to revelations which tried to perpetuate this philosophy to now where it has abandoned it, the writers you could say have at least grown up. Reading your comment over i don't think you understood my post at all which is a shame
    I didn't say it was deep. I never once even typed that word. Do you often make up things to fit your narrative? Or do you just wing it.

What's really a shame is that you, for some reason, keep insulting the writing staff of these games.

I'm also aware of the purpose of each game as to how the player is supposed to feel in regards to the main character. There's an over-arching synopsis to fit each game based on each character's circumstance.

For example, Altair is redemption, Ezio is revenge, and then the pursuit of knowledge. Connor is all about freedom, Bayek is back to revenge, etc.

However, with each tenent of the Creed there is also an irony. And these are all present in every single game. It's even touched on in Origins near the end with Aya, concerning killing only those that "deserve it" and Bayek when he realizes revenge doesn't solve anything. How's that for philosophy?

But if you're concerned about "philosophy" in Assassin's Creed, don't ever play Rogue. Because that's the one that makes you question everything.

Back to your post though. You started out insulting the intelligence of the writers and yet ultimately you just want an Assassin's Creed that is about killing and violence, and you use big words like "pretentious" and "shallow" all the while wanting the game to be only shallow.

And, you think the writer's purposefully "sneer" at these religions to take a jab at them when in actuality it doesn't matter if any person is of any color, race, creed, religion, etc. if they are a Templar and are a marked target, they die. They are Templars first and foremost and has nothing to do with what religion they practice.

Lastly, in Assassin's Creed I, Jubair, who was based on Ibn Jubayr, was a Muslim. And, Majd Addin was as well, historically he was a writer who observed and wrote about Saladin. Oh, and let's not forget Rashid ad-Din Sinan, who Al Mualim was based off of.

All of those targets were practitioners of Islam. All of them died because they were Templars, not because they were Muslim.

But, the entire reason I laughed at your post is despite everything i just posted, each and every single AC game has a disclaimer when you start it. It's not meant to be taken seriously as it's a game, and the game comes from all walks of life, faiths, religions, beliefs and sexual orientations.
     2 people found this helpful