Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    On right now on TCM. One of my favorite movies of all time...... My favorite scene was the one where Chuck Yearger had to eject from the plane he was in and he crashed in the desert after free falling for about 3 minutes...the friction was burning his face. He opend his chute in the nick of time and walked out of the desert. At least I think it was Yaeger...its been a while since I saw that one.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> [/list]<UL TYPE=SQUARE>vflyer@comcast.net[/list]<UL TYPE=SQUARE>99thPursuit Squadron IL2 Forgotten Battles[/list]
    UDQMG | HYPERLOBBY | IL2 Manager | MUDMOVERS

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    On right now on TCM. One of my favorite movies of all time...... My favorite scene was the one where Chuck Yearger had to eject from the plane he was in and he crashed in the desert after free falling for about 3 minutes...the friction was burning his face. He opend his chute in the nick of time and walked out of the desert. At least I think it was Yaeger...its been a while since I saw that one.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> [/list]<UL TYPE=SQUARE>vflyer@comcast.net[/list]<UL TYPE=SQUARE>99thPursuit Squadron IL2 Forgotten Battles[/list]
    UDQMG | HYPERLOBBY | IL2 Manager | MUDMOVERS

Wilie_Wombat's Avatar Banned
    I have so much respect for Yaeger, but it's too bad he wasted a beautiful F-101 Voodoo.

WW

Good movie but the script sucked !

Too Hollywood-ish !!
    However I do appreciate the cameo appearance of Mr. Yeager !!!!

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah good movie. I read the book when I was in jr. high before I first saw the movie. Not to be nitpicky but it was an F104 Starfighter.

Also one my all-timers Bearcat. As someone said, there are some problems with the script but writing a screenplay for real life events is not so easy.

FWIW, the reason Chuck's face was burning was not friction. He actually became tangled up with his ejection seat while trying to break away from it. He wound up with the seat's rocket motor pointing right into his visor! Although the main blast was over, the residual discharge severely burned his face. In the movie they at least show him struggling to get his helmet off on the way down.

In his book, he describes the hideous scraping treatments he went through that luckily left him more or less un-scarred.

C.Y. has led a remarkable life.

"If Adolf Hitler flew in today, they'd send a limosine anyway."

Dunkelgrun's Avatar Senior Member
    Very underrated but great film.
    Cheers!

www.nightbomber.com

Wilie_Wombat's Avatar Banned
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darkhorizon11:
    Not to be nitpicky but it was an F104 Starfighter. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks DH, I was too lazy last night to check my memory.

WW

Chuck_Older's Avatar Banned
    Cool flick

"They want you to be an astronaut!"

"Oh, I hope not"

the sergeant will for, his sergeant's pay, obey the captain 'till his dying day~ Clash

trumper's Avatar Senior Member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Sturmtrooper:
    Good movie but the script sucked !

Too Hollywood-ish !!
    However I do appreciate the cameo appearance of Mr. Yeager !!!!

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blimey i watched this film 2 weeks ago on DVD and didnt realise the "real Chuck" was in it ,where?
    In the the film it was an f104 Starfighter,seemed to get into the outer reaches of the earth atmosphere and lost all control imputs,started in a uncontrollable spin.