Zoro's Avatar Community Representative

R6 Community Discusses - Your First Operator

Hello and welcome back to the R6 Community Discusses Series!

The goal of this series is to open conversation on specific topics so players can share their feedback, suggestions, and share tips&strategies with their fellow players. We encourage newer players to ask questions and for our more experienced users to offer whatever advice they can on the subject. Any posts that detract from the discussion, target other users specifically, or are offensive in general will be removed.

So this week we'll be discussing our First Operator.

Think back to your early days with Siege: Your clearance level is puny, your map knowledge is horrid, and you've got little to no idea what you're doing. You've played the situations and maybe a few matches as Recruit, but now the time has finally come - you unlock your first Operator.

1.) Who did you unlock first? What about the operator caught your eye or piqued your interest?

2.) How did your pick match-up with your playstyle? Was it a good fit or did you end up regretting not picking up someone else?

3.) Do you still play as this operator at this point? How have you changed your tactics to better fit their abilities and gear?

4.) Is there anything additional you'd like to see for Operator descriptions or details to help players decide whether or not to unlock them?

5.) Who would you suggest for a new player's first operator? (Give an ATK and DEF example.)

I look forward to reading your responses and I'll be sharing my answers later this week as well. (I'll make sure to drag Noty over for a response too.)

You can also join any of our previous discussions here: R6 Discusses - All Topics
     3 people found this helpful

xcel30's Avatar Senior Member
    Well i remember since the beta the first characther i unlocked was Blitz, because i was honestly interested in how would shield gameplay would work in this game, it worked quite well in the beta and i had fun with him, i remembering having doubts if i liked him or montagne the most due the revolver, there was a time gap between the end of both betas and i actualy buying the game but it was my first buy yet again.

I still play blitz he's my most played operator for a reason, a lot has changed since the release to now so lots of tactics were addapted, mainly related to explosives, his broken hitbox, arm damage making shields weaker, and his most recent buff with the sprint, but lately my main concern is for people not just bug out through my shield when i flash them and they instantly track me perfectly for a headshot when i know i flashed them..

Showing a quick looping gif of the operator using the gadget and then the effect of the gadget on other players would be nice, someone that's completely new to the game might not know how exactly youkai stun looks like when it hits someone, or thermite charge not being instantenous, how big hibana gadget looks like etc.

If i had to recomend basic operators then it would be Rook for defense, since he's the most straight up new player friendly, and maybe thatcher for attack since you can just understand to throw EMP neat stuff to disable, so suspicous spots you just thrown an EMP and probably disable a trap,camera or something else
     2 people found this helpful

1. It was... TWITCHHHH!!! I immediately unlocked her because of the F2, my favourite weapon. Then, it also came into mind that Twitch is a girl, which was perfect. Lastly, since she was not used a lot, I figured out, that I could mak something out of nothing through her ability. I slowly managed to make her useful by her shock drone while still getting used to the aiming mechanics of this game as I came from COD BO3 which has a completely different mechanics system. After 1 month, I got myself into the groove of this game, and got my first ace of this game at Consulate, using her. Although, it was against a group of silvers, but I was silver at that time!!

2. It did fit my playstyle as she had a shock drone and 2 drones. I tend to rely heavily on knowing defenders' positions. Otherwise, it could present a problem to me. This is why I always keep my preparation phase drone alive, like a try hard, because I rely heavily on them. She was a good fit for me at first, but as soon as I started using IQ, I became more efficient with her in terms of stats. I won more using IQ, at the cost of getting less eliminations while with Twitch, it was the opposite, I got more eliminations and less wins. Soon I realized, that IQ was better for me and that I could make her be something in my hands. I ranked up to gold and close to plat using IQ before Hibana came out.

3. Still play with Twitch. Using her depends on the team's situation. The only change of tactics, is the amount of time I spend on the shock drones. I now spend almost 1 minute on them after the action phase begins. Of course, I still use Twitch as a distraction... Now, I am a Hibana/Ela main.

4. Fine with it. I did not have problems deciding who to unlock.

Attackers: Sledge and Ash. Easy operators to use and lots of fun achieved and to learn the maps easily.
    Defenders: Rook and Kapkan. Both are very friendly, even to those who dont have headsets.

R6 timeline

Dustline- Skull Rain:
    Attackers: Twitch-IQ. IQ at the end of dustline after finding out she is more efficient than Twitch for me.
    Defenders: Kapkan in Dustline, Frost in Skull rain because I unlocked her 25k renown... Jeez... that took quite a while

Red Crow- Velvet Shell:
    Attackers: Hibana- IQ. Hibana was too much for me to resist...
    Defenders: Frost- Rook/Valkyrie. It seemed like Rook was neglected here..

Blood Orchid- Present:
    Attackers: Hibana- IQ/Thatcher. Trap city...
    Defenders: Ela- Frost. It seems like Rook is not that critical anymore...
     1 people found this helpful

Insevin's Avatar Senior Member
    1.) Who did you unlock first? What about the operator caught your eye or piqued your interest?
    Thermite - The closed beta didn't have many operators but when I saw one that could breach those pesky reinforcements, especially on house garage, I knew I had to unlock him.

2.) How did your pick match-up with your playstyle? Was it a good fit or did you end up regretting not picking up someone else?
    Thermite has a solid rifle and his gadget is excellent for any playstyle. Glad I got him.

3.) Do you still play as this operator at this point? How have you changed your tactics to better fit their abilities and gear?
    I still play as Thermite but often choose Hibana instead to breach from a distance. I also don't use his shotgun as much anymore since shotguns have a lesser role in the meta today, especially the M1014. I don't agree with all of his gadget swaps and wish they were original.

4.) Is there anything additional you'd like to see for Operator descriptions or details to help players decide whether or not to unlock them?
    No opinion, I don't think it is required

5.) Who would you suggest for a new player's first operator? (Give an ATK and DEF example.)
    Sledge and Rook due to the simplicity of their gadgets and great weapons.

Insaine34's Avatar Member
    Sledge was my first unlocked op and i unlocked all SAS ops first.

I moved on to play more Thatcher and Thermite to help the team open up those walls/hatches and mute on defence to jam up.

Castle in the early days was my wild pick we had strats where if Ash was gone the place was locked out, early days castle shotgun just destroyed those feet as they tried to breach the door.

WBBCoop's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Ubi-Zoro Go to original post
    Think back to your early days with Siege: Your clearance level is puny, your map knowledge is horrid, and you've got little to no idea what you're doing. You've played the situations and maybe a few matches as Recruit, but now the time has finally come - you unlock your first Operator.
    LOL..that so described me. I was a clammy little mess when I hit 'multiplayer'.

I can't recall if it was Tachanka or Rook. Or was it Mute? I'm fairly certain it was Tachanka though. I watched the op vids, training vids and 2-3 starred most of Situations up to 9 before I hit mp. His vid looked baddass and I had to have that. I um..only used him once. sorry. If it was anyone else then it was long forgotten, but I do remember being very excited about unlocking Tachanka.

After saying that, can I get a mulligan on this and just speak about who I actually remember playing? Thanks I was in a few groups at the time and I mainly used Twitch and Rook (everyone else had the Thatch/Therm/Oddjob locked up). I guess I'll go with..Rook.

I would say the progression to learn multiple ops at a time is optimally low. So I mainly stuck with and became a formidable and prompt Rook. Basically I was maining as a wussy and stayed obj for my life. I would say he fit my then timid self perfectly.

Do I play with him? All the time! He is rock solid and so very well equipt (and so very deadly) that I cant get enough of him. I'm no longer laying on my back behind some pool table waiting for a fuse job and Impacts broke the mold on this guy. The armor is awesome and simple enough that it nets you plinking drones, like a little prep phase minigame and is something that I have become very good at. Its almost like warmup for Ash. (I don't care if they fly over your head..I'll get'em ). I also wonder if the devs realized that with Bandit, Mute, Kapkan, Jager and Rook..there's nobody but Rook to get the Hatches! lol..I was the slowwazz hatch getter then and I still have to from time to time.

At the time, there could have been a better communication of what the (Tachanka) operators did I guess. But in today's Siege..I doubt any new player needs additional info to sway his operator appetite. But if they asked for my advise, I would say Smoke and Sledge. Their fun, they can be antisocial (soloable) and they have enough of a learning curve to start getting used to thinking with more than just a gun. You guys really need to start on that rather quick.

Interesting but cool choice for the week Zoro. Nice.

My first Operator was IQ, (this is the old OG IQ whose gadget was straight dookie). I picked her because I always like units and skills ingames that add to my situational awareness.

My first match was a Team Terrorist Hunt on Consolate and I spent most of the game on the roof and managed to get a few kills from the stair skylight. My second operator was Sledge and I liked him way more but his pick rate back then was off the chart. I have learned to love the modern IQ. She is simply under used in my opinion because she has the speed and hitbox of Ash with a better gadget and grenades and with sll the electronic gadgets the current meta has she has way more use.

Yes, but not as much as I could. I'm an almost dedicated support player and pick useful team operators rather than kill roamers.

Monika is perfect the way she is.

Attack:
    Thermite (well rounded, useful)
    Thatcher (the Chocolate to Thermite''s Peanut Butter)
    Buck (destruction master and has grenades)
    Sledge (simple to use and has grenades)
    Hibana (Ash and Thermite's Asian love child)

Defense:
    Rook (simple to use and helpful)
    Doc (only healer and good anchor)
    Mute (best defense gadget and delays/denies enemy just stay out of fights)
    Pulse (see through walls, babies first roamer)
    Valkyrie (good gadget, MPX dumps on enemies)

DarthCynical's Avatar Senior Member

I really can't remember, but based on my total hours played, it must've been Montagne and Doc. Sounds right, because I like riot shields and playing as a medic whenever that's an option in games.

Is I said, I like playing the medic role whenever it's an option. Didn't he only have a couple stim pistol rounds early on? That probably annoyed me a little.

I've actually been semi-maining them both the last couple weeks. Shield and shotgun for Doc. Anchor either in the obj or in a nearby location where I can get back to obj or branch out further to heal/support a roamer.

Mostly just keep my shield up more when I have living teammates, and less when I end up alone. Flash bangs so I can clear rooms easier on my own. It's always fun to teabag with the shield down while and lone enemy is hassling you to try and break their aim on your head before one-shotting them with a little help from the laser. The revolver is all I use anymore.

Never really thought about it.

Attacker:
    • Ash - Fast, easy to use and very noob-friendly. Won't often hurt the team if you wander off and die early.

Defender:
    • Rook - Helpful and easy to use. Press one button as soon as the round starts and you've completed your job.

i chose blitz before he was buffed and i mained him even when i didn't have to i just enjoyed the feeling of surprise and how some players got scared and didn't know what to do it was fun.

1.) If I recall correctly, I unlocked Mute, thought he was cool. Still my most played defense op.

2.) Of course I sucked with Mute at first, had no idea how to block drones effectively due poor map knowledge. The ability to add jammer to Castles barricade was a revelation.

3.) Yes, I still Mute often. Better at playing him, can pull sneaky stuff off.

4.) Just a general guide to different op types and their gameplay style (trap, shooty, roamer) would be appreciated, I think

5.) I'd like all-Nordic operators, obviously. Maybe a Finnish male sniper from Karhu group with a Sako TRG rifle and a Swedish female demolitions expert from Förstärkt Regional Insatsstyrka