Multiplattform Support / Linux

Hi all,

I really enjoyed past Annos but during the last years I changed all my systems to Linux why I now only buy Linux-Games (which already changed me buying the original series like e.g. Sim City to the newcomer Cities Skylines). It would be very sad if I could not play Anno natively on my Machine.

So I ask myself how would the chances of a linux version be a success?

1. The engine has to support multiple plattforms like Linux
    2. The linux version has to be availible on day one
    3. There has to be a need of a linux version

The engine has to support multiple plattforms like Linux

This might be a problem as this is a prerequesite which might not be altered. I don't know much about the engine of Anno 1800. In some posts in this forum it seemed to me like they will use the previous versions of Anno games engines. This would rather speak against having the engine support multiple plattforms / linux. Porting the game might be expansive. This seems to me as a big con.

The linux version has to be availible on day one

This is a decision made by the Anno Team! Consequences of not having the release of a linux version on day one might imply a lower price to all linux buyers which results in a lower margin for you as you have efforts designing/implementing/qa this for lower prices. My expectation is: if not a day one release for linux it will be there never. Some games in the past have made it shortly after the Windows-release. This is kind of acceptable as the linux community normally wants to buy it no matter the money or if some weeks later the price goes down just to supoort the game.

There has to be a need of a linux version

I think this is the point why people on the dev or publisher side say something like: We are watching the Linux system and inform you. Which means: There seems to be not enough interest / potenial buyers, we won't port it.
    I read a very intersting idea lately to this. Why not having a page where I can preorder for a Linux-version for games? If you don't bring it on Linux I can get a refund, if there is not enough interest you can deny to develop it. This would also give you the security not wasting efforts on something that does not bring you salery.

What do you think? Are you interested in a multiplattform / linux version of Anno 1800?

Appendix - german thread

I have opened the same thread in the german forum aswell: https://forums-de.ubi.com/showthread...16#post2506616

There I also shared the idea of if raising the money to develop a linux version on the page - the money could also be used to let another company port the game.

AgmasGold's Avatar Ubisoft Companion
    The problem with preordering/refunding is that the refunding actually costs a company money due to credit card charges or something like that (I think). Plus you have to think, for an engine that is a decade old, it would be challenging to port, especially older code, which people may not have 100% of an idea of what it does, as the original devs may have moved on (The Anno team was a lot smaller originally, as they talked about in the AnnoCast).

No Linux planned

In the German thread a mod just posted, that no linux is planned:
    https://forums-de.ubi.com/showthread...-Support-Linux

Let's see how we can get the attention for this at least for the next Anno-game with a new engine.

Ubi-O5's Avatar Anno Community Representative
    Let me also make it official over here, Ubisoft logo and all: There's only a PC version planned at the moment.

AgmasGold's Avatar Ubisoft Companion
    That should say "Only a windows version". Linux is still on PC.... (as you probably know, its an open source OS).
     1 people found this helpful

iruet's Avatar Member
    Yeah, linux is on PC, it is an open source project though