Kestrelius's Avatar Member
    How about at check points add a trigger that gives a "are you stuck?" message at the top or bottom corner with a hotkey (like R1 on PS, or RB on XBox, or H for PC)? The hot key then either leads them to a short tutorial video, or brings up a simple explanation and image on how to do the obstacle in that checkpoint. This should only pop up after say 3 failed attempts from that checkpoint, as it is an indicator that either the player is new,or is struggling to identify the type of obstacle due to the layout/scenery.

This then allows the player to initially try to progress independantly first, then offers help which does not interupt the game for players who know and are just having a mad moment. I agree that the Evolution style tutorials is great, so this feature can be on top of them with some consideration to some of the suggestions for them.

Just teach those additional 3 Things, and all will be good ;D

– A proper Bunnyhop: left, right AND LEFT AGAIN
    – Teach the importance of the Neutral Position
    – Teach how to land

The nature of any game is a short lifespan. Tutorials will help a few more get into the game though.

I would take each checkpoint in the game and assign them to specific techniques used. If a player gets stuck, they can see which tutorial to reference.

A good tutorial idea would be to slow down the mechanics of each technique, then have the player complete the stick motion...eventually speed it up to 100%.

Part of me would like to see few tutorials. The thought of thousands melting down warms my heart.

People in general are impatient...especially gamers. I don't see the vast majority of casual players caring too much. 3 weeks gameplay tops for most people. This is just human nature. Even when I started playing...I would pass the tracks up until I couldn't get much further, then just stop for a while.

It would nice to have a training tutorial center or sub area in which a player can access multiple obstacles on the fly...link them together, then practice.
    There are only so many types mechanics used in the game or types of extreme/hard obstacles. Build them all, then have the player pick which to practice.
    This could also be a good multiplayer side game. One player picks, the rest complete it within 10 tries or 20 seconds....similar to a horse game.

Originally Posted by Rudemod 69 Go to original post
    +1

Apologies, Shifty.

Tutorials, or a practice mode (I like that idea) can be useful for new players, but have them separate from the main career mode, allowing experienced players to advance without the distractions.

Basically I would say, try and improve, learn the game. Practice, perseverence, practice. Some games aren't mean't to be mastered in 5 minutes.
    Nods sagely. Well said Rude.

start and stop checkpoints but with a completion status only bronze (or asterisk or?)

Playing trials about two years, 1.3 million XP, so I have earned my salt in trials.

It's really two things;

1.) Start and Stop Checkpoints - With a status or designation of completed with start/stop versus completion within time limit. Could be only bronze or an asterisk or some other designation that the track was completed the easy way or the hard way. Maybe an unlimited time to complete track or 60 minutes but with the lesser designation of a player that completes the track within the time limit and without start/stop function.

2.) Replay Rewind - It has been particularly frustrating for even short tracks not to be able to rewind but for longer tracks, example "Gigaclimb [F] - cavemanDave247. Personally have not completed it but have gotten about 75% through but watching the whole video just to see technique at cp 40 or 43 is just not worth the time and effort advance replay and this past it only to have to restart the replay again... did I emphasize "frustrating"?

Other Options;
    A.) advancing to next Check Point option.
    B.) able to play replay while in track - pause the current track and be able to replay and rewind track to see what is necessary.
    C.) numbered Check Points - at least if start/stop function (see above) were added this would add tremendous value to this function.

I have read through this thread one time and some ideas are outlandish and some are quite good and of course I think my ideas are simple and to the point but I am just the voice of one... perhaps I will get some votes on this or maybe not?

Love trials gameplay.... when I pass! Really dislike track central connection persistence and needs some improvements on searching, date of competion of players, notes or discussion by players... but that is another thread I suppose and leave it at that.

Mikloso2015

Sorry to be answering this so late but nevertheless I totally agree with a lot of there suggestions.

I have wanted to move onto learning more difficult techniques to allow me to complete Ninja tracks, but haven't been able to find good enough tutorials that explain the techniques properly. I would welcome some in depth tutorials, that include visual how-to's on button/stick movements etc. This could also be done for other skills necessary to play Trials in general.

The game already offers racing against ghosts, which could be improved to become useful for learning purposes. The basic idea is not having to watch replays separately to see how others are approaching the track, but to have a helpful reference while playing, so:

Add options how to display the ghost: Just the name tag as it is now (not helpful for that purpose), the nasty white multiplayer ghost (I find them rather confusing), and new better ways of display, like the actual rider skin you'd see in the replay, but with less and less opacity the closer you are to each other. Something like that or whatever you can come up with.
    Add more options what ghost(s) to display by default: Next guy on the global leaderboards, someone with a 1% better time, #1 best time, someone based on a "rival" system as others suggested already (and I totally agree with them) etc.
    Add the option not to let the ghost disappear in the distance once they have been faster on the first few obstacles, but allow automatically resetting their progress to your own at every checkpoint (not only when resetting to the checkpoint yourself, but also when you trigger it during a 0f run of course), so you can always see ghosts on the same obstacle that you are currently facing.
    Provide useful defaults for these options and mention the feature in a tutorial, so new players will actually be tempted to use it for improving their skills.

And of course: Integrate the Professor right into the game. It took me 3 Trials games before I progressed from hard to extreme tracks (I'm probably not the most patient gamer...), and the main reason I ever did was stumbling into FatShady's Youtube channel after completing HD, Evo and Fusion up to "hard" and still faulting out on "Eye of the Storm".
    As obvious as the need to integrate SwampBalls into the editor.

So I wonder if the game's later courses would be more palatable to the average player if the expectation of technical trickery were introduced sooner and more prominently. Perhaps the early courses could be divided between speed ones, technical and hybrid, with hybrid obviously dominating later on. You could slow people down by having sections where the player is obliged to pause for three seconds or whatever on a platform or take a penalty. Balancing a bike in game is much easier than in real life so maybe demand an on-the-spot two second wheelie or endo or stay-in-place-on-a slope to open the way ahead. (My balance isn't great; two seconds sounds like a long time for me.)

Then there's the question of whether you could allow players (perhaps in 'easy mode') to bypass a checkpoint in return for a fault and time penalty. (Might also encourage builders to put more checckpoints in.)

Replay Rewind - It has been particularly frustrating for even short tracks not to be able to rewind but for longer tracks, example "Gigaclimb [F] - cavemanDave247. Personally have not completed it but have gotten about 75% through but watching the whole video just to see technique at cp 40 or 43 is just not worth the time and effort advance replay and this past it only to have to restart the replay again... did I emphasize "frustrating"?

Other Options;
    A.) advancing to next Check Point option.
    B.) able to play replay while in track - pause the current track and be able to replay and rewind track to see what is necessary.