Zoro's Avatar Community Representative

R6 Community Discusses - Drone Optimization & Effective Callouts

Hello and welcome back to the R6 Community Discusses Series!

The goal of this series is to open conversation on specific topics so players can share their feedback, suggestions, and share tips&strategies with their fellow players. We encourage newer players to ask questions and for our more experienced users to offer whatever advice they can on the subject. Any posts that detract from the discussion, target other users specifically, or are offensive in general will be removed.

This week we will be focusing on "Drone Optimization & Efficient Callouts"

Drone Optimization:
    Players can use their drones however they choose, but it's not always going to turn out well for the little guys. Each map and objective offers different hiding spots and vantage points that players can use to position their drones for the best utility. I'd like to discuss some of your favorite hiding spots/vantage points and any advice you have for how other players can better use their drones. Here are some prompts you can use to form your responses:

1.) Do you have any favorite hiding spots/vantage points that you use on any specific maps/objectives?

2.) How do you use your drone in the prep phase? Do you scan enemies as soon as you see them, do you hide in the objective room or other key points on the map?

3.) Any tips you could share for newer players to better optimize their drone usage?

Effective Callouts:
    Quality communication is imperative to a team's success. In the same light, bad communication can completely ruin you.

4.) What do you look for in good callouts from teammates?

5.) What information do you prioritize when giving callouts? Operator names, room/location, movement or direction, etc.

6.) What are some aspects of bad callouts that you'd like other players stop using?

Feel free to share your thoughts freely, but please remember to be respectful of your fellow players and our forum rules. Off topic and offensive comments will be deleted.

And as always, feel free to join any of our previous discussions here: R6 Discusses - All Topics

feffreyfeffrey's Avatar Banned
    Callouts are the most important thing in this game no matter how small the detail is and it is always good to talk to your teammates even if they are annoying.
    You have the same goal of wanting to win.

Call outs like this would help.
    Lets say your prayers aren't in the room. Let them know where you are being targeted from or if hatch or walls are open.
    Tell your teammates who you've killed of possible. If you kill thermite or Hibana let them know so they can change strategy or angles.
    If you're attacking let them know who you killed like Caveria so they're free to move around.

Most importantly call out traps and their placements and which operator it is.

Dronining and hiding drones in common area after objective been spotted or follow operators and give out their location.

Do not spot on drones just call them out

If you're making stupid rotation holes or peek holes directly to objective discuss it with the team or at least of you're throwing a C4 at a wall do not detonate it until is clear.

Do not give stupid call outs like he is over there or he is west that doesn't help.

A good call out is " Ash is in archive" if possible give detail like." Ash is in archive holding a angle. She is focused on me you can flank her"
    If you're dead be on cams
    If you two enemies are in a room call it out and give out their names.
     1 people found this helpful

Hey Feffrey!

You make some good points! Spotting can be helpful if a player doesn't have a mic - but recklessly spamming the scan can cause your team to lose crucial intel gathering ability.

Using room names and describing their positioning/aim direction is a great way to format a good callout. Your quote of "She is focused on me, you can flank her" is also something I love to hear in callouts, using the information to help your teammates make informed decisions.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this!

UbiNoty's Avatar Community Manager
    Nice! Glad to see my discussion suggestion made it!

As a new player I only recently really picked up on the importance of the scouting stage and optimal drone placements - so it's really good to learn more about the most advantageous way to utilize your drone. Most new player guides seem to be more focused on operators and the objective phases, and this aspect is easily overlooked. Can't wait to hear what else everyone has to say!

feffreyfeffrey's Avatar Banned
    Originally Posted by UbiNoty Go to original post
    Nice! Glad to see my discussion suggestion made it!

As a new player I only recently really picked up on the importance of the scouting stage and optimal drone placements - so it's really good to learn more about the most advantageous way to utilize your drone. Most new player guides seem to be more focused on operators and the objective phases, and this aspect is easily overlooked. Can't wait to hear what else everyone has to say!
    Here is a tip you'll never see in a video.
    Have one or two drones scout objective and operators while saving three drones for spawn killing areas or run outs.
    Another thing you can do is save your drone for the attack phase and guid a player throughout the map hunting down roamers. In other words have a player follow your drone. Follow any defender when they run and have your attacker chase him down.

Honestly, I think it is kind of a let down to the player convenience. Why do I need to AVOID the ingame marking system to be better?

Voice is already benefit enough, but on top of it, you are encouraged to NOT USE the mark-enemy function in order to avoid the disadvantage of giving away your cams presence.

I find it very weird. Why would you put a position reporting system into a game, and then promote ways to actually NOT use it?

DarthCynical's Avatar Banned
    1.) Do you have any favorite hiding spots/vantage points that you use on any specific maps/objectives?

• I mentioned this one in the last community discussion, but it bears repeating. You can reach the air ducts along the ceiling of 1st floor main lobby hallway of Border. Jump onto the desk, from there onto the time card rack on the wall, again up into any of the nearby horizontal rectangle windows high on the wall and finally the duct. There's quite a bit of room to move around the duct with nice views of the main lobby hallway, passport check, workshop and more
    • On top of the many Christmas trees in in Kafe. As far as I know, you can drive right up the sides of all the trees in this map, though which side you drive up can be different from tree to tree. Climbing the one in cigar lounge gives you a complete view of the room.
    • Anywhere in the boat crane area of Kanal facing the east building so you can see the common peek spots that defenders will use when you're attacking boat storage.
    • There is a long yellow crane in the construction spawn site of Kanal that you can drive to the top of which gives a good view of all the entrances and Windows on the east side of the east building.
    • There is a large 4x6 or whatever support beam that runs along the east wall of the great room of chalet that can be reached by jumping onto and from the 2nd floor bedroom hallway handrail. You have a view of this entire room, as well as the garage stairs from here. Also, depending on where you park your drone, you can also get a nice view of the library and bedroom stairs and into the library.
    • If you go on the stage in meeting hall in Oregon, face south and jump from the sandbags onto the black speaker on the right, you can then jump onto the ceiling projector. Nobody ever finds this camera, and with some fine movement, you can get great views of the whole room.
    • In the coast guard room of Kanal, the whole room and the main entrance area have drop down ceiling panels that you can jump into from the filing cabinets in those areas and drive around for nice views.
    • In the rail depot on theme park, on the northwest (I think... it might actually b the southeast) side of the room, there is a couch turned up on its side, leaning against the train car. Jump up on this and then on top of the train. Look north to see a sheet of metal leaning against the wall atop the train and jump up there. From here, you can jump onto the metal I-beam that runs the length of the rail depot. Once on top of the beam, you can park it at either end of the depot for a great view of the entire area, though the view is much better if you jump into the window on the south side of the room.

2.) How do you use your drone in the prep phase? Do you scan enemies as soon as you see them, do you hide in the objective room or other key points on the map?

If the OBJ and enemy players are all identified, I will usually just look for a place with a nice view to park my drone. Usually in the area I'm thinking of entering from.

3.) Any tips you could share for newer players to better optimize their drone usage?

I can't tell you how often I will be watching another player in prep-phase after my drone is destroyed and I see what looks like these players being struck dumb like a deer in the headlights when they encounter an enemy. Don't just sit there and let them destroy you while you're mark spamming/paralyzed with fear, move your butt and hide that drone.

Effective Callouts:

4.) What do you look for in good callouts from teammates?

Specific room names, or at least the enemy's compass direction.

5.) What information do you prioritize when giving callouts? Operator names, room/location, movement or direction, etc.

Pretty much what the question already says. I try to say who is going what direction and if they appear to be going alone or with backup. If I hear someone moving around somewhere. Various sound cues.

6.) What are some aspects of bad callouts that you'd like other players stop using?

"Over there!" with no ping or other information.

UbiNoty's Avatar Community Manager
    Originally Posted by feffreyfeffrey Go to original post
    Here is a tip you'll never see in a video.
    Have one or two drones scout objective and operators while saving three drones for spawn killing areas or run outs.
    Another thing you can do is save your drone for the attack phase and guid a player throughout the map hunting down roamers. In other words have a player follow your drone. Follow any defender when they run and have your attacker chase him down.
    This is one of the best things I've learned today

My golden rules for callouts:

Call location first, then give action, detail, number and operators. People tend to lead with the operator name, but that's rarely the most important information, and every word is precious when it's getting sweaty. “In gym! Hibana rushing from red” gives your team an extra half second to look the right way compared to “Hibana coming from...”. You sound like yoda but it really saves lives.

Always say where you were shot from when you die, and who it was. Always. You often want to sit quietly and hope nobody noticed your poor shooting, but tanking a flank for your team can be the single most helpful thing you do in a round, so long as you communicate it. Never assume the skull icon is enough to tell your team what happened to you.

If you're dead, give information, not orders. You wouldn't be watching someone's screen if you hadn't already made your own mistakes, and nobody ever became a better shot by being shouted at. “The mirror in tellers is open, you could probably get an angle” is fine, “shoot him through the mirror idiot” is just going to stress the guy out and make him potato.

Try to use absolute callouts, not relative ones: “In master near windows,” not, “Through there on the left.” Your teammates are spread all over the map and looking all kinds of different directions. Their left is not your left and their west is not your west. References to rooms and fixed objects mean the same thing to everyone and are much clearer.

If you have to use a relative callout, say which teammate you are talking to: “Rook, there's one outside the door on your left.” Especially in casual, if your teammates don't know the real callouts, left and right might be all you have. Just remember to be precise in what you say, and who you say it to, or you can confuse your whole team and get them killed.

Don't scan, talk. Scanning gets cams killed and then you have no eyes at all. The only real reasons to scan are to distract an enemy being pushed by making him hunt the drone, and when you're combining scans and voice to guide a teammate in a specific action: “C4 him through the ceiling... there”.

If you're in a stack, give intel in-game, and keep chatter in your discord. Way too many stacks talk only to each other, but everyone in a game plays better with good intel, and often randoms will even start calling themselves if they hear you doing it. The opposite problem is stacks that clutter up the in game voice with in-jokes and nonsense when their team is trying to listen for footsteps. Don't be that guy, keep your mom's exploits in discord.

Just talk, for goodness' sakes. Every time you see an enemy, that is information your teammates want, so give it to them. Nothing is more frustrating than hearing half your team blazing away on the other side of the map and having no idea what they've found.

Fantastic tips and advice everyone!

Great feedback so far.

Originally Posted by Dreepa Go to original post
    Honestly, I think it is kind of a let down to the player convenience. Why do I need to AVOID the ingame marking system to be better?

Voice is already benefit enough, but on top of it, you are encouraged to NOT USE the mark-enemy function in order to avoid the disadvantage of giving away your cams presence.

I find it very weird. Why would you put a position reporting system into a game, and then promote ways to actually NOT use it?
    Hey Dreepa,

Thanks for bringing this up!

So, it's sort of a give-and-take with the scanning.

A drone that could remain hidden/unnoticed would be a huge detriment to the Defending team. Without the red light revealing the location of the drone, it would be nearly impossible to find. This would create a steep advantage for the Attackers, especially since Defender cameras are stationary and in the same locations every round (apart from Valk cams, of course.)

It's not necessarily a bad thing to use the scan on drones, but while you ping your enemy's location you are also running the risk of having your drone spotted and destroyed. A drone can still be useful without scanning, as any teammate can view the drone to gather intel and make callouts, so you have to weigh the risk of losing the drone against the benefit of pinging that enemy in the moment.