An earlier discussion mentioned the Condor, the Luftwaffe's closest thing to a B-17/24. Any possibility of it getting in the Battle of Britain or as an add-on patch?

An earlier discussion mentioned the Condor, the Luftwaffe's closest thing to a B-17/24. Any possibility of it getting in the Battle of Britain or as an add-on patch?

FW-189 correct? It's already there.

Oh, there are no fighter pilots down in hell...
    The whole damn place is full of queers, navigators, and bombadiers...

FW-200. It's already in AEP.

Chuck_Older's Avatar Banned
    The FW200 was not a good machine of war, except in the maritime patrol/bomber role, in which it was, if I recall, called the "Scourge of the Atlantic" by Churchill.

The FW200 was a civilian model pressed into service. It was not reliable, and not many were operational at one time, some sources say 10 was the most at any time.

The plane had a distressing tendency to break in two aft of the wings on landing, and the fuel lines were routed all on the bottom of the fuselage if I recall correctly. I do not remember perfectly, but I don't even think it had a bomb bay; all ordnance was slung externally. It had a niche role in which it was a good aircraft, but outside of that, seems to be a less than adequate aircraft for the role of 'heavy bomber'. I think the DM of the FW200 in FB is a little on the tough side.

The hillsides ring with, "Free the People",
    Or can I hear the echoes from the days of '39?
    ~ Clash

Dunkelgrun's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Regression:
    An earlier discussion mentioned the Condor, the Luftwaffe's closest thing to a B-17/24. Any possibility of it getting in the Battle of Britain or as an add-on patch?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Development Updates have shown it being modelled for BoB, and it is available (AI only) in FB:AEP. Don't know whether it will ever be flyable in FB or BoB, I suspect not because of its limited role other than recce or transport.
    Cheers!

www.nightbomber.com

Dunkelgrun aka 242Sqn_Cat

[This message was edited by Dunkelgrun on Mon June 21 2004 at 11:34 PM.]

The lack of success of the Condor was more the fault of infighting between the luftwaffe and the Navy rather than any fault with the plane. The Luftwaffe kept switching them away from the Atlantic. They were used as transports at Stalingrad. They also saw service in the Med. They were responsible for something like 12% of the shipping losses in the Atlantic. They were causing so much of a problem. A plan was made to try and anbush the airmen on the road to the airfield.

The main production version FW200C3 introduced in Nov 1940 cured the broken back problem.
    On the 1 Oct 1940 10 group met two of KG40 Fw200 on a bombing Mission.
    On 28/29 Nov 1940 the Condors were used as night bombers attacking Mersyside and Clydside.
    In the summer of 1941 some of the crews were trained in the use of torpedoes. Only recorded opp was 30 Dec 1941 when a single ship managed to avoid 3 eels dropped by a single Condor.
    On 4 May 1943 some FW200 were fitted with the Lofte 7 d bombsight. This gave an accuracy of 20 - 30 metres from 4000 metres. This was used against shipping with some success.
    Condors were also modified to carry the Hs293 designated FW200C6.

WTE_Galway's Avatar Senior Member
    the lack of german heavies seems a fortunate side effect for the allies of german overconfidence and reliance on teh Blitzkrieg stategy

this also explains:
    - ludicrously low fuel capacities of german fighters
    - the lack of any serious numbers of armor bigger than Pz. Kpfw. III and Pz. Kpfw. IV (early war german tanks were required to be able to cross typical european road bridges and rotate turrents 360 degrees in a typical european street)