Zoro's Avatar Community Representative

R6 Community Discusses - Ranked vs Casual

Hello and welcome back to the R6 Community Discusses Series!

The goal of this series is to open conversation on specific topics so players can share their feedback, suggestions, and share tips&strategies with their fellow players. We encourage newer players to ask questions and for our more experienced users to offer whatever advice they can on the subject. Any posts that detract from the discussion, target other users specifically, or are offensive in general will be removed.

This week we will be discussing Ranked and Casual - the 2 main multiplayer options for PVP.

I know there have been a lot of big topics covered throughout the forums lately dealing with both Ranked and Casual, so I wanted to have a thread focused on these to get a larger, centralized discussion going where everyone can share their input. I'll share a few bullet points for some starting points, but feel free to share your thoughts openly.

1.) Which mode do you play on most often? Why is this your preferred choice?

2.) Do you enjoy the differences between Ranked and Casual play? i.e. Picking spawn/objective locations, Defenders losing access to previously won objectives, time limit differences, etc.

3.) Is there anything that holds Ranked back as a competitive mode in your eyes? How would you like to see these issues addressed to improve Ranked play?

4.) Has team killing/toxicity changed your game preferences, for example: Do you play less Ranked or Casual due to negative experiences?

5.) Do you agree with Ranked, as the intended competitive mode, having a smaller map pool centered around those considered the most balanced? Explain your thoughts.

6.) Please share which of these best describes you:
    a. Solo Queue Warrior
    b. Sometimes Solo or with 1-3 squad mates
    c. Often/always with a full pre-made team of 5

Again, feel free to answer however many of the prompts you want, or share your thoughts openly.

*Please keep in mind, you don't have to agree with other users, but you do need to respect their opinions. Any disrespectful comments will be deleted.

I look forward to seeing all of your feedback and responses!

All of our previous discussions can be found here: R6 Community Discusses - All Topics
     1 people found this helpful

lol at the operators holding the wrong guns in that promotional picture. It looks like an earlier iteration of that map too.

Casual.
    1. Originally I avoided Ranked because it felt full of super-serious teams that had plans and maps memorized, but now I avoid it because I'm afraid about how it's going to affect who I get matched up with in Casual. I might be a high Gold or a low Diamond if I tried with a team but I don't want to get stuck at a high or a low level. If I'm a bronze in Ranked I don't want that to make me get matched up with more unskilled randoms and wreck them. If I'm a high rank in Ranked I don't want to encounter more people playing as a team or uber-skilled players who wreck everyone.
    2. I don't consistently play R6S with anyone and I know just how risky randoms can be, not to mention I like having the freedom of being able to leave a match, or mute a player, or go find a new match without consequence. It helps when a family member needs/wants something. It helps when a jerk teamkills me or I'm with someone who's acting really awful.
    3. I basically only solo queue and that's a great way to lose lots of Ranked matches. I don't have a team or clan I trust to group up with.
    2.) Do you enjoy the differences between Ranked and Casual play? i.e. Picking spawn/objective locations, Defenders losing access to previously won objectives, time limit differences, etc.
    It's certainly nice that neither mode allows people to constantly try the same strategy. In Casual I do wish I would know where I spawn so I could better pick my operator.
    The random defend locations in Casual makes the maps stale at times and enjoyable at others. If the matches are close and we consistently get the same spots then it feels like a rematch. If I'm longing for another spot or defend a location too often then it gets a little bland. It's the worst when my team is winning 2-to-1, having lost a round only on defense/attack, and then fail to win the final point in the next two rounds because we were the defenders/attackers twice in a row— meaning our team was completely unable to defend/attack on a map.

3.) Is there anything that holds Ranked back as a competitive mode in your eyes? How would you like to see these issues addressed to improve Ranked play?
    Not having all the maps. What's the point of playing Ranked now? Ranked is the perfect mode for fighting against opponents who work as a team and for ensuring you don't fight someone way above or below your skill level. In Casual you're basically guaranteed to be up against a mix of randoms. But those maps add important variety. About the only one that really needed to go was Bartlett and Favela (the top floor spot is terrible against an organized assault).

4.) Has team killing/toxicity changed your game preferences, for example: Do you play less Ranked or Casual due to negative experiences?
    Yes. It's why I only play Casual unless I'm with a full group. This game has no guard against teamkillers and jerks besides leaving or muting. PC users can't even stop text chat. It would suck if I was paired up with a jerk in Ranked, especially when they can DBNO us all as Caviera and then come back the next round without consequence.

5.) Do you agree with Ranked, as the intended competitive mode, having a smaller map pool centered around those considered the most balanced? Explain your thoughts.
    No, I don't. Someone who plays Ranked more often than me should speak about this.

[A]: I am primarily solo queue Casual until I group up with some nice/good randoms.
    I've added plenty to my friends list over time and I enjoy coaching people, especially the newer players. It's always sweet when my careful call outs, control of cameras as a spectator (not letting someone ping an important camera), or my advice to a player helps us win.

My favorite was when I helped the last guy alive blow up the last defender with a breaching charge. I think I'll upload that video here; doesn't have my voice in it though.
     3 people found this helpful

1. I prefer Casual mainly because the matches have less rounds. The last three times I tried Ranked I got a random disconnection error at some point during those matches
    This seems to happen much less often in casual. Also, in Casual there is less of an expectation from my teammates for me to be the ultimate bad-***.
    It's not as big of a deal if I make a mistake that loses the round. Another great thing about casual is that if I end up with *******s for teammates, I can just leave with no penalty,
    wait several seconds, then re-queue and get into a different match [most of the time. sometimes I end up back in the same match ]
    2. I do like that in Ranked you get to pick spawn locations and that the defenders can't pick the same spawn every round. The matches in Ranked just take too long for my taste.
    Would love to see spawn choosing in casual.
    3. I don't really play competitively so I wouldn't really know if anything in Ranked needs to be improved to make it play better competitively.
    4. I think I touched on this in #1
    5. Even though I'm not really a competitive player I'm of the opinion that more maps = more fun. I like variety, which is why I play Siege now over my former shooter of choice: CSGO.
    I like having a huge pool of maps no matter the mode.
    6. B - I don't have the patience to try to build up a 5 group every time i want to play. If I log in and my real-life friends are on, we'll party up.
    Sometimes I'll party with some internet friends that I've met in a match in the past, but I don't wait too long for them to respond to an invite.
    If they get back to me later, sometimes I'll just ditch the casual match I'm in to party up, then re-queue.

xcel30's Avatar Senior Member
    I honestly prefer casual most of the time, because it's simply more fun that way, and i am playing this game for that reason, ranked is a diferent mode with too much focus on always being on the edge to do the very best you can, and that includes using every dirty trick in book, spawn rushing, operators that obviously overpowered, abusing 3 speed with connection issues, use of bugs, blocking windows with sideaways deployable shield. Ranked isn't fun for me, and the nature of the people playing it is also not good, and the matchmaking doesn't feel fair at all, having a team of people lv60 and below vs a stack of 3 diamonds during placement matches doesn't help, and add conection issues where you always have someone in your team leaving so it's a constant 4v5 and not recieving rewards or matches not counting (had to 12 placement matches instead of 10), so solo queue for me it's hell.

I enjoy the diferences of being able to choose spawn and defense points in ranked, and happy that they are random in casual since that stops from just being a mirrored ranked with a diferent timer, the map limitation feels kinda dumb, since that personally feels more like you are removing maps that you know have issues instead of fixing them , ranked in this game isn't great because of how flawed the game seems to keep getting as time geos on, you fix one issue another 5 are found out that ruin few matches, and if that happens in ranked you lose all will to even play the game, nothing is worse than trying hard and losing because someone shot before they appeared in your screen, glitched out, timed out by bugging windows, game is so riddled of these small issues that when they appear and often appear ranked feels like whoever pulls more ******** wins instead of a proper battle of skills

1. I generally play Casual because I do not have a full squad of friends to play ranked with. Casual is also a great way to warm up before going into a ranked match with friends.
    2. I can't stand the differences between Ranked and Casual play. I prefer ranked because I am able to choose spawn/objective and defenders lose access to previously won objectives. It is extremely frustrating in casual when the enemy team is gifted with the better objective round after round. I also like choosing objective because I can pick operators accordingly. Choosing spawns is also very important because it allows attackers to prepare themselves from spawn peeking/killing. Overall, allowing players to choose spawn/objective would only improve the experience for players.
    3. Ranked is held back since players don't always communicate in game chat. It is extremely difficult to accurately depict rank for those who play solo when their teammates refuse to communicate. This leads to inaccurate ranks and frustration. Ranked is also held back by the current points system. Sometimes it feels like I can never reach the next rank. I will win game after game, but only come every so slightly closer to the next rank. On the other hand, losing one game can be catastrophic. Just one loss can set a player back an entire rank.
    4. Team killing and toxicity has lead to me never playing this game alone. When I play casual it is almost guaranteed that I will be team killed at least once, or the other players will vote to kick me when I am the last man. This ruins the experience and takes all joy out of the game. Another issue is the high amount of players who will leave a casual match after a loss or (even worse) a death. This can lead to higher levels taking their place and carrying the team to victory. This is an extremely frustrating experience for the team that was originally winning.
    5. I agree that ranked should have a smaller map pool consisting of the most balanced maps. This keeps the ranking system more accurate and true. Some maps such as Favela and Plane are too unbalanced in one side's favor. Favela favors attackers and plane favors defenders. The exclusion of maps like these in Ranked help preserve ranking consistency.
    6. I am best described as a mix between (b) someone who play sometimes solo or with 1-3 squad mates, and (c) someone who often plays with a full pre-made team of five. Playing solo is a mind-numbing experience that only leads to rage and disappointment, and playing with a full squad of five is not always possible. I generally play with a group of 3-4 players. This limits variability caused by random teammates. I always prefer to play with a full squad, but that is not always possible due to everyone having busy schedules.

1.) Casual, because of the way ranked works.

2.) I enjoy everything about how ranked plays, but I don't like the way the ranking system works.

3.) I feel that ending up with a 3-5 loss and losing the same amount of rank as all of my teammates, even though I hate 4000 score and the second highest teammate had 2000, is a load of crap. The ranking system should factor in your performance as well as wining or losing

4.) In my experience, both modes have toxicity. Teamkilling in ranked should give more serious punishments though.

5.) Yes, Better maps with more balance and polish is better than every single map. However, a preferred system would be akin to CS:GO; queuing for maps you select.

6.) I almost always play with a minimum of 3 teammates.

1.) I largely play casual, mostly due to the lack of commitment. I didn't really have a good reason before but nowadays I'm always just practicing the operators I feel worst at.

2.) I like every aspect of ranked a lot more, significantly more than how casual is aside from attacker spawns. In the case of attacker spawns I like the way both works, it's just a nice difference, on one hand ranked spawns feel super serious and tactical, while casual spawns makes you all feel like a real team. I think that the Casual timer is too long, something like 3:30 might be more suitable, the 4 minutes can get quite boring for 3 armour defenders.

3.) I feel like it's mostly just map design allowing for cheeky defender peeks that holds back ranked. I do not enjoy being held in my spawn area for a while as an attacker, especially knowing that the clock is ticking against me. Stuff like dying through trees with a lack of foliage density makes me kinda upset.

4.) I don't see much toxicity at all

5.) I agree that ranked should only contain the most balanced maps, so long as that number is not too small. I don't agree with an upper limit to map pools, as long as all the maps are quite fair then that's all that matters.

6.) Used to exclusively be a solo queue player, am now playing more in a group of anywhere between 2-5. I don't really know my preference, so long as the people I'm playing with don't talk a heap

Definitely ranked. I only play casual and TH if there are UbiClub/Daily missions that I have not completed.

I can't really say anything about casual other than the 4 min timer is a complete snooze fest. And as far as ranked goes, I really like the way it's structured right now.

Bugs and glitches would go at the top of the list. There are the occasional facepalms in regards to the matchmaking where I'm paired with unraked/low level players that have no idea what they're doing but those have been rather scarce lately since the one-step matchmaking was implemented.

No. But in the rare occasions where one of these ******ed specimens is in my team it's definitely frustrating and kills my desire to play for the rest of the day.

Yes. The new map pool is amazing. Although I agree with pyrokov, there should not be a fixed number of maps. If there are more than 9-10 maps that are balanced, they should all be in the map pool. I still have to decide on the new map though. So far I find the top floor really nice and structured but the bottom floor is a complete maze and I often get lost trying to flank. But I'll attribute this to the lack of map knowledge and not dismiss it yet.

I'll go with b. Sometimes Solo or with 1-3 squad mates. I only have 2 friends that play this game almost daily and we squad up to play ranked. After the ELO points stabilize around 15-20 I do tend to solo queue if they are not online. But at the start of the season, if one of them are not online I won't play or play casual/TH for the missions.

WBBCoop's Avatar Senior Member
    Well I'm sure you knew that I was gonna poke my head in here due to the topic Zoro .

This is a great question and one that's kinda hard to explain..but I'll try. Casual used to me all the way. It was fun and relaxed. You could find vast differences in team makeup and their strats and learning something new was fairly common. Ranked was..too stressful for me to be enjoyable for any length of time, and the time was too long to begin with. 1 hour matches was not my idea of fun..so I chose Casual for my playground. But now Casual is way too expansive in player ability and skill to describe in a relaxed way. Therefore I am leaning towards the Ranked mode to keep the learning progression as a part of my matches and time. I stagnate in Casual.

Honestly I don't really care one way or another. I'll pick a spawn point closer to obj if I have a chance..if not it's no big deal, and I never choose obj as I like all of them (I will not choose Cash Room..EVER).

The game is and has always been about teamwork. Ranked is for Teams and only Teams. You can not apply an appropriate 'rank' to a Solo player. It is not possible with the current placement and confidence systems. As you already know..I think Casual should be 'ranked'..but more built around the individual and not the team.

To improve Ranked you would have to find that fine line in your definition of 'Skill' for both the 5man and the solo player. There needs to be a Definitive Definition of what Ranked is before we can talk about improving it IMHO. That definition should be brought to the forefront for all to grasp..because it can not easily define both the solo and the 5man at the same time.

I'd like to skip this..but..I guess Ill try. Yea Zoro..this crap is killing the game, and I firmly believe that It is directly tied to the unhappiness of the players in their ability to enjoy a proper match without being overwhelmingly under-skilled. Combine this with the limited maps in ranked, and we have conditions that set the perfect setting for the devastating toxicity we see in Casual, due to full teams going to casual to play an extended map pool.

Ranked is more toxic in terms of non-mic players that do not use the mode in the competitive sense, and has become Casual due to the people leaving Casual due to TLE's (toxic level event).

It used to be perfect for those that wanted a more advanced setting to compete..as in Drone outs and the whole 9 yards compete. In fact it was the ONLY place to go if we wanted other teams of our 'skill'. We did not need to define what skill was to know that the higher level players were way more skilled than the new kids on the block. The mode got over-saturated with Casual players over time and It became its own definition from the player pool. However, I feel that we are slowly creeping into a definition of what Ranked is to become and not what it was. The limited map pool (and the blog) suggests that we are getting an exclusively competitive setting (again). I could be way way off base on this..but I think the plan was to remove the casual players from the Ranked mode. We did that..but now we do not have the setting for the players that did not want to play Casual in the first place.

So, yes and no. Yes, I think Ranked should be as fair as possible in setting and matchmaking. But..matchmaking should be paramount, and the map removal based on 'balance' was putting the cart before the horse. This only leaves me to believe that there were other possible reasons why the limited map pool was determined to be the best solution. We all know that nobody wanted it..and well..we did it anyways. And the No, I think we need match balance before we have environmental balance. But, I can see the preemptive reasonings as well and I hold no ill feelings for it.

B. Sometimes Solo or with 1-3 squad mates.

It's hard to get my 5man team together on a regular basis and when we do, we just want to catch up on some time and laugh at each other. We would all love to Rank up with each other evenly..so I have to admit..I created a Solo alt for my daily Ranked drive, and..well..I still haven't put in my 10 placements on my main, if that tells you anything. It boils down to an unreliable system to properly seat ME when solo and lack of time to Rank with my team.

My conclusion is 1.) Define a part of the game (Casual?) that defines the Solo player. OR 2.) Hurry up with Siege Outside ( Ghost War ).

PS. I hope you do not take criticisms by me personally Zoro. I think you have all of our intentions at heart.

I mainly play ranked as I prefer the competitive edge to games.

I think casual needs to be more like ranked in regards to round time and the option to pick your spawn etc but just don't implement a league status. This way when people then switch to ranked it's not so different so they won't feel out of their depth.

Would love a little more clan support at some point.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►