Zoro's Avatar Community Representative

R6 Community Discusses - Team Combinations

Hello and welcome back to the R6 Community Discusses Series!

The goal of this series is to open conversation on specific topics so players can share their feedback, suggestions, and share tips&strategies with their fellow players. We encourage newer players to ask questions and for our more experienced users to offer whatever advice they can on the subject. Any posts that detract from the discussion, target other users specifically, or are offensive in general will be removed.

This week we will be discussing Team Combinations

We've discussed many of the operators in the game individually, this week I'd like us to focus on some of the different team compositions that work well together and some of the strategic best-practices that players can use when deciding who to bring to the fight.

I'll give a few prompts to get things started, feel free to expand beyond these or ignore them if you have something specific you'd like to bring up:

1.) For the Attacking team, build your "perfect team" and support your picks with the operator's respective roles, abilities, what they can counter from the Defending team, and how they can compliment your other picks.

2.) Same thing for the Defending team, who are your top picks that synergize best in holding back the offense and locking down the objective.

3.) Out of your Attackers / Defenders, which side do you feel has the edge? Is this true for certain objectives or maps? Are there certain operators you see as interchangeable or some who are "must haves"?

4.) Which roles do you find yourself opting for most when picking your operator? Do you normally pick based off what your teammates have chosen or do you go with your "mains" regardless?

5.) Do you think the Attackers or Defenders have better cooperative / cohesive combinations? Which side relies on teamwork / cohesion more for success, or is it equally important for both?

-------

Obviously there are going to be some varied thoughts on these, let's remember to stay respectful to other's picks and reasoning behind them. You don't have to agree, but you do need to be courteous. I look forward to reading your responses!

You can also join any of our previous discussions here: R6 Community Discusses - All Topics
     1 people found this helpful

Synergy between groups of operators is definitely more apparent for defenders because it's more tactically-mindful to synergize when setting up defensive strategies, where as on the attacking side, players can just pick their preference and do their own thing to pick apart the defense.

One strategy my friend and I like to do on defense if the objective has hatches above it, is to bring smoke with shotgun/smg and castle with his primary smg and castle ourselves into the room above the objective and open the hatches and other holes in the floor to shoot down onto the unsuspecting attackers as they try to take over the objective. The castle barricades give us enough time to escape through the hatches if the attackers smarten up and decide to clear us out. This strategy is especially effective when defending workshop on border and reading room on bartlett.

Another good defensive synergy is to bring Jager to specifically protect Mira's windows from range by placing his ADS behind cover right in front of the windows.
     2 people found this helpful

1. Hibana/IQ/Thatcher/Ash/Thermite. Hibana for flexible breaches. Thermite for big breaches. Objective breaching is necessary. Otherwise, everything gets predictable. IQ for roamer protection and electronics detection. Now, there are lots. Thatcher for getting rid of Bandit and Mute jammers behind reinforced walls. NOTE: ALL SHOULD KNOW THAT THATCHER's EMP GRENADES CAN DESTROY ELECTRONICS BEHIND REINFORCED WALLS, EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE THROWN GRENADE.

2. Bandit/Mute/Valkyrie/Lesion/Rook. Rook for armor. That is a no brainer. Bandit and Mute for objective protection. Lesion to protect entry points that allow the team to focus on other things. I could put Pulse in replace of Valkyrie but Valkyrie is far useful than him.
    3. Attackers if they are working well. Defenders only win because of attackers' poor execution.
    4. Hibana all the time on attack. If somehow someone gets her first, Thatcher or IQ depending on the map. On defense, Ela/Frost but if I see no one picks Mute and that our objective has lots of breakable walls, then I am picking him. Otherwise, I'll pick Valkyrie or Rook.
    5. Attackers need more teamwork than defenders. However, this does not mean that in defense you go with a squad using Caveira/Tachanka/Smoke/Echo/Kapkan and have complete no coordination, if you want to succeed. You still need a decent defensive line-up in order to compete well.
     3 people found this helpful

My attacking team comprises of Ash, Hibana, IQ, Capitao and a GSG recruit with a shotgun.

This team decimates all but the higher ranked defending teams.
     1 people found this helpful

1.) Attacking team; Thatcher, Hibana, Thermite, Ash, Twitch.
    Thatcher to me, is the most valuable Operator right now especially after this patch with all the new trap Ops. Hibana for small holes to shoot into the objective through, Thermite for the entrance holes. Ash for wooden doors and walls, and because of her weapon selection. Twitch for helping with traps, and cameras, and her flexibility of weaponry. We have had quite a bit of success with this team setup. Ash can be swapped for Sledge for good effect as well.

2.) Defending team; Jager, Bandit, Rook, Mute, Lesion
    Jager for his abilities in stuffing grenades (even though he could us a buff to block ALL of Fuzes charges) and his excellent weapon. Bandit for shutting down wall breaches, especially if played by a smart Bandit who plays at the walls, and also can C4 shield Ops.. Rook for his ability to be a monster anchor, as well as leaving armor for teammates increasing their survivability. Mute for taking care of drones and for jamming the objective from some breaching. Lesion is absolutely excellent at dealing with speed Ops and locking down an objective room, whatever that objective may be.

3.) I still think that Offense has the advantage on most maps. Some objectives there are just far too many ways to get into them that the defenders cannot block or defend them all. Couple this with tons of breakable ceilings that can be shot through, or broken by Sledge, that leave the team completely exposed. Sam goes for Fuzing from above can ruin the fun of the game in a giant hurry. Bank has a few of these rooms.

Jager, Thatcher, Rook, Thermite-Hibana, all feel like must picks to me. Everyone else can be interchangeable IMO. Some Operators are too selfish for the team meta, and to help the team succeed.

4.) I pick based on team needs exclusively. I main Thatcher because I never have to fight with anyone else over picking him, and there is not one map or game mode (especially now) that he isn't vital to a teams success. If someone else grabs my mains, then I pick only what the team has a need of.

5.) Teamwork makes the dream work, and communication wins matches in Siege. I feel that the defenders have the edge in cohesion, but only slightly. Having Jager, Mute and Bandit put a room on absolute lock is just such an awesome feeling, and they can all compliment each other. On Offense you have IQ running with Thatcher, and Thatcher should be running with a fortified breacher like Hibana or Thermite, it just takes more cohesion on attack to be the most effective.

I feel like defense needs to be in better communication with the team to be successful because they are at a disadvantage so often. It's easier to lone wolf on offense than defense and still be effective and get kills.

Fantastic thread by the way Ubi-zoro.
     2 people found this helpful

Loving the feedback so far guys! Excellent explanations behind your choices as well - paints a great picture of how you view/approach the game.

I'll be giving my picks this weekend, I'm looking forward to reading more responses in the meantime!

Okay so here are my thoughts-

1.) My attacker lineup would be as follows:
    -Thatcher
    -Thermite
    -Blackbeard
    -Sledge
    -IQ

Thatcher and Thermite for destructive breaching and general disruption of the Defender's setups. Sledge and IQ for a secondary/separate push, either coming in the "back way" or from above when applicable, IQ scanning for traps and gadgets while Sledge can open their way. Blackbeard for overwatch and backup for either squad.

2.) My defense would be the following:
    -Bandit
    -Mute
    -Valkyrie
    -Lesion
    -Frost

A strong intel gathering team with traps and jammers/batteries to stall the offensive push. Valkyrie and Lesion for Intel, Bandit and Mute for stopping drones and other gadgets, and Frost to catch a few unlucky bears.

3.) In a game of equal skill, I would probably give the edge to my Attacking team. I'd bet the same way in most of the objectives, but especially on OBJs that have many entrance routes. I'd say you could exchange Frost for Kapkan, or perhaps Lesion for a Caveira. On attack I'd say Blackbeard is the easiest to replace, but the most critical attackers I wouldn't replace are Thermite/Thatcher.

4.) I personally pick depending on what my team is running, I'll fill important gaps or play a supportive operator whenever needed. Coincidentally, I main Thatcher - so I usually end up running him anyway.

5.) I think both teams have a ton of potential for cooperation - it's a key to success on either side in Siege. Although defense has the important prep-phase that allows them to set up more complex strategies with each other's gadgets, a cohesive attacking team can do some major damage if they work together to intelligently face the defense's setup.

Originally Posted by Ubi-Zoro Go to original post
    Okay so here are my thoughts-

1.) My attacker lineup would be as follows:
    -Thatcher
    -Thermite
    -Blackbeard
    -Sledge
    -IQ

Thatcher and Thermite for destructive breaching and general disruption of the Defender's setups. Sledge and IQ for a secondary/separate push, either coming in the "back way" or from above when applicable, IQ scanning for traps and gadgets while Sledge can open their way. Blackbeard for overwatch and backup for either squad.

2.) My defense would be the following:
    -Bandit
    -Mute
    -Valkyrie
    -Lesion
    -Frost

A strong intel gathering team with traps and jammers/batteries to stall the offensive push. Valkyrie and Lesion for Intel, Bandit and Mute for stopping drones and other gadgets, and Frost to catch a few unlucky bears.

3.) In a game of equal skill, I would probably give the edge to my Attacking team. I'd bet the same way in most of the objectives, but especially on OBJs that have many entrance routes. I'd say you could exchange Frost for Kapkan, or perhaps Lesion for a Caveira. On attack I'd say Blackbeard is the easiest to replace, but the most critical attackers I wouldn't replace are Thermite/Thatcher.

4.) I personally pick depending on what my team is running, I'll fill important gaps or play a supportive operator whenever needed. Coincidentally, I main Thatcher - so I usually end up running him anyway.

5.) I think both teams have a ton of potential for cooperation - it's a key to success on either side in Siege. Although defense has the important prep-phase that allows them to set up more complex strategies with each other's gadgets, a cohesive attacking team can do some major damage if they work together to intelligently face the defense's setup.
    No Hibana... Interesting..... And no Rook as well... Have most people stopped picking him? I am seeing him less now.

Originally Posted by Krisperfectline Go to original post
    No Hibana... Interesting..... And no Rook as well... Have most people stopped picking him? I am seeing him less now.
    I prefer Thermite over Hibana, both due to her occasional inconsistencies as well as the size of her breaches - while Thermite allows for massive entryways.

Rook is definitely helpful, I'll play him sometimes if we have a few roamers/3speeds on the team, but I've never felt he was a critical pick.

Thanks for the responses throughout this week everyone! Great to see some varying thoughts on team combinations and the importance of synergy between operators.

I hope to see everyone back for our next discussion where we will focus on - The Weapons of Siege

Feel free to continue to share your thoughts here or on any of our previous discussions here: R6 Community Discusses - All Topics