🛈 Announcement
Greetings! The Division forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game

Crashing in DX12 and Mouse Stutter

This is a problem I've had for months now. I stopped playing the game a little after Last Stand and came back for the update. Loving the in game stuff to do, but I'm still having huge issues that caused me to stop playing the game to begin with. First problem, my game crashes when alt+tabbing when using DX12. Changing to DX11 changes things, but I feel like the game doesn't run as smooth as in when I use DX12. Second problem, and this is a HUGE one, is my mouse stutters all the time. The frames don't drop, but the mouse lag/stutter is very real. I can't take any videos, but typing "The Division Mouse Stutter" will show lots of examples of the exact same problem I have. It never goes away and the only way to fix it is to set thedivision.exe to 3 cores, rather than 4 cores. Removing one of any core fixes the mouse stutter BUT, I get worse performance. So little bits of frame drops and lag. That's obvious since I'm not using all the cores I should be, but it's the only way to fix the mouse stutter. I've changed resolutions, lowered all my graphics, I even bought more ram and got a new CPU AND GPU to get this game as close to running well as I could.

This is a huge problem for me, because the only reason I stopped playing the game for so long was because of performance and these persisting problems. I want to enjoy the new patch and grind in peace, but I keep getting these problems every patch and it's just tiring.

NEW PROBLEM: As I was writing this, I was also trying other fixes for the performance. If I'm using DX12, and I quit the game like normal, the game crashes. This a problem now since I want to switch DX11 and turn off one of my cores, but everytime I set it to DX11 and quit the game it crashes, and doesn't save my change to DX11. Please Massive, fix this awesome game.

VirtualRoX's Avatar Member
    I don´t know your Computer configuration, but your "NEW PROBLEM" can be fixed by delete the \Documents\My Games\Tom Clancy's The Division folder . (backup the folder before" i do it by creating a .rar file of it") then try again.

...i don´t have a solution for your "mouse stutter problem" but in my case most technical i got fixed by update my Mainboard(bios) " intel microcode update (fixed unstable Hyper-Threading (SMT) ". I have a Intel Core i7 6700k.

Ubi-Johan's Avatar Community Developer
    Hey,

As VirtualRoX said,attempting to delete the config files may resolve your crashes.

To do so you need to go to documents folder where they are saved. This is normally found here:

C:\Users\*PC NAME*\Documents\My Games\Tom Clancy's The Division

You can delete every file besides "user.bindings". All these files will be remade the next time you start the game.

/ Johan

Keep DX11 for the time being as switching on DX12 will likely make the crash re-appear. We are looking into DX12 related issues but they appear to be on select systems and hard for us to reproduce, if you'd like to provide us with your DXDIAG that might help in tracking down the issue.

• Press your Windows key or go into Start.
    • Type run and hit enter. A new window should appear.
    • In the new window, type dxdiag and hit OK.
    • You should now see a new window called DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
    • At the bottom of this window, press Save All Information.
    • Open up the new file you created and copy all the information to http://pastebin.com/ into the New Paste window.
    • Once all the information is there, press Create New Paste and provide us with that link.

Thanks!

/ Johan

Originally Posted by Ubi-Johan Go to original post
    Hey,

As VirtualRoX said,attempting to delete the config files may resolve your crashes.

To do so you need to go to documents folder where they are saved. This is normally found here:

C:\Users\*PC NAME*\Documents\My Games\Tom Clancy's The Division

You can delete every file besides "user.bindings". All these files will be remade the next time you start the game.

/ Johan

Keep DX11 for the time being as switching on DX12 will likely make the crash re-appear. We are looking into DX12 related issues but they appear to be on select systems and hard for us to reproduce, if you'd like to provide us with your DXDIAG that might help in tracking down the issue.

• Open up the new file you created and copy all the information to http://pastebin.com/ into the New Paste window.
    • Once all the information is there, press Create New Paste and provide us with that link.

Thanks!

/ Johan
    Here is the pastebin, Johan. Hopefully it reaches you quickly.

https://pastebin.com/ibREdt62

Deleting all the files as told did fix the crashing issue. However arguably my biggest problem with the game is the mouse stutter. The only fix to that is to turn off a core in the affinity tab in task manager for thedivision.exe. I apologize for taking a week to answer. After troubleshooting for days and to no real fix I got frustrated and stopped playing and caring. Came back today with the same mouse stuttering problems and thought I'd update this post. This is a very important issue for me. Setting the affinity to a core less really hinders my FPS performance. It can be completely random too. Yesterday, after turning off a core, I got frustrated with the constant FPS dips and turned put the 4th core back on and turned V-Sync from Auto to Off and it fixed it. Until, of course, when I got back on today with the same issue. Any advice from the pastebin or suggestions on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: Doing more troubleshooting and I saw a suggestion in another thread that said to turn Supersampling up to 200%. That seemed to fix the problem, however I can't pull off a consistent 60+ FPS on the usual high settings I run. With supersampling on 100% and all High settings I can get well above 80+ FPS at the cost of the mouse stutter. With Supersampling at 200% I have to play on low settings to pull off a consistent 70 FPS. I upgraded my computer many times throughout the last year specifically for this game, so the fact I have to play on low settings just to get consistent frame rates is pretty disappointing and would still like to be looked at.

Ubi-Johan's Avatar Community Developer
    You could try set a FPS limit at 55, 65 or 70 and see how it works out for you.

Let me know how it goes!
    / Johan

Originally Posted by Ubi-Johan Go to original post
    Hey,

[...] We are looking into DX12 related issues but they appear to be on select systems and hard for us to reproduce, if you'd like to provide us with your DXDIAG that might help in tracking down the issue.

Thanks!

/ Johan
    Dear Johan, sorry for bumping the thread but I'm having the exact same issue with DirectX 12 as OP. Here is the DXDiag file: https://pastebin.com/Pyh6Qsuf

UbiMorning's Avatar Community Representative
    Hi AddMeForCoOp! Thank you for the report. For this issue, could you submit your MSINFO/dxdiag files over a ticket instead? Thanks!