Zoro's Avatar Community Representative

R6 Community Discusses : Caveira

This edition of "R6 Community Discusses" will focus on the operator Caveira. This series has been added to the R6 forums to facilitate discussions in the community involving operator use, gadgets and strategy that often get buried or lost in the abundance of others posts that flood the forums.

The goal of this series is to not only give new players a primer on a specific operator or map, but also for mid-level or competitive players a chance to share the knowledge that they have accrued in their experiences and maybe let people know something that they did not know before.

This week we're covering the attacking team's nightmare, Caveira.

Link to Caveira Operator Information HERE
    Caveira Wiki

Below are some discussion points we would like to see from community members that decide to respond. Feel free to discuss other information that may be helpful to the community about this operator. Posts that do not contribute to the healthy discussion of this thread will be removed.

1) In your opinion, what is this operatorís primary or ideal role in the team?

2) The operatorís gadget/ability and how it will help the team achieve its goals. Please share any tidbits you may know to help expand discussion.

3) The operatorís loadout, and how best to optimize it. This includes primaries, secondaries, and secondary gadgets.

4) What maps and game modes does this operator do well on?

5) What maps and game modes does this operator struggle on?

6) What other operators work well when allied with this operator?

7) What opposing operators check or counter this operator?

8) What strategies have you adopted while playing this operator and why?

9) What is something that a new player should know when playing this operator, or what is something you know that would help a veteran player take that next step?

10) What is your overall opinion of this operator? Where would you rank them among the other operators?

11.) What change, if any, would you make to this operator for better balance in the game?

+Any highlights or gameplay footage using Caveira are welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks in advanced to all participants!
    Feel free to join any of our previous conversations here:
    R6 Community Discusses - All Topics
     1 people found this helpful

OK, what i'm going to bring up is probably a little controversial. Remove the ability for her to interrogate. I know this'll never happen, as its such a fundamental skill set of the character, but even without it she would be a top tier lurker and an asset to the team able to pick of a few of, or distract the attacking enemy team quite nicely. Interrogate, especially early in the match, just gives the defending team too much information. Or the interrogation should only give Caveira the information and the player is responsible communicate it. While in most situations i'd argue the defending team needs all their tools to survive and be successful, something has never quite sat right with me about this specific ability.

Also, on a more hilarious note, in casual if you DBNO and move in for the interrogation, I find half the time the victim just quits the game before you can pull it off.

1) In your opinion, what is this operator’s primary or ideal role in the team?

Caveira is a roamer, her role is to lurk common entry locations and try their best to use her "interrogation" to reveal the enemy teams location.

2) The operator’s gadget/ability and how it will help the team achieve its goals. Please share any tidbits you may know to help expand discussion.

Caveira is a difficult character for people to play effectively, simply because teams that travel together or in pairs are more of an issue and prevent you from revealing their teammate's locations due to you being susceptible when interrogating. I'd recommend patient play and not simply shooting the first person you see, provide info to your team if you can and try and catch people on their own. Her pistol is amazing and sometimes it is worth it to simply kill the person straight away in order to get away and perhaps catch someone trying to locate you.

3) The operator’s loadout, and how best to optimize it. This includes primaries, secondaries, and secondary gadgets.

A lot of people use her M12 submachine gun but it isn't needed. Her pistol is very powerful and paired with her shotgun, she can use this to breach weak walls and also hatches to escape.

She does well on all game modes, hostage probably being her weakest. In regards to maps, she needs a lot of movement and variety in the places she can roam. Her weakest map is probably Favela whilst her most powerful is something like Border, Kafe or Club House

" - Answered above

Valkyrie for sure! Her cameras can be used in combination with voice chat to locate enemies for Cav to locate and interrogate.

Jackel would be my first pick simply because of his tracking ability. Secondly, I would just say that checking the map for popular roaming spots and using drones well is enough to counter Caveira.

Check every corner, because you never know if she might be checking cameras or camping in a corner or maybe even on the bottom of a window. Also, leaving one drone in a popular roaming position is good for teammates to check if they die, or for you to check whilst pushing forward.

9) What is something that a new player should know when playing this operator, or what is something you know that would help a veteran player take that next step?

Patience is key and use that pistol as it is pretty OP Shotgun is great for opening hatches and then you can use barbed wire for sound detection in your nearby location.

10) What is your overall opinion of this operator? Where would you rank them among the other operators?

She is a good operator but very situational and map based. I wouldn't recommend playing her into a premade due to communication but she is good for climbing solo or with up to three people. I'd say she is ranked in the middle, she is pretty well balanced.

11.) What change, if any, would you make to this operator for better balance in the game?

I'd say she is really well balanced but perhaps she could maybe hear footsteps a bit easier that other characters? However, no change is good enough for me. It is a shame we don't see her in Pro League, but it makes sense as to why we don't.
     3 people found this helpful

1) In your opinion, what is this operator’s primary or ideal role in the team?

Roaming. Disturbing the strategy of the opposing team. Killing time of the attackers, be like a phantom. The enemy tries to find you but you vanish without a single trace.

2) The operator’s gadget/ability and how it will help the team achieve its goals. Please share any tidbits you may know to help expand discussion.

I consider the silent step ability as the operators primary asset, not the interrogation. The ability to remove all movement sounds for a certain time would be immensely helpful for a roamer and would be the missing extra in comparison to other good roamer operators like Jager and Bandit. Unfortunately, the reality is quite different, because the silent step ability is inconsistent.

Noises, that the silent step ability should suppress:

- Weapon reload

- weapon change

- falling down through hatches

- moving over metal

- cloth noises by body hold changes from default to leaning and vise versa

If the ability should improve stealth moving than it has to be consistent, so it has to make an impact on all necessary movements for roaming.

The guns:

The guns are too weak for competitive gameplay. The shotgun is meant too be less lethal to get an opportunity to interrogate, but therefore is the Lusion pistol. The shotgun and SMG have to compete with other guns from Jager, Bandit, Valkyrie etc., the other potential roamers and there the Caveira loses completely. By the way, the gunplay is the primal part of this game and a operator has to be at least be average at this point, not to be the bottom line.

3) The operator’s loadout, and how best to optimize it. This includes primaries, secondaries, and secondary gadgets.

Suggestion for Caveira gun buffs:

SMG: Because it is an SMG it should only be strong at close distances:

42 damage, the dps would still be awful, but at least better than before, minimum damage could be 29. with heavy barrel 36. silencer: 36 damage and 29 minimum.

Shotgun: 36 damage per pellet, let the "injure the enemy" to the luison pistol, because it was designed for that.

Also possible way to buff Caveira as a whole would be to make it possible to create a vaultable hole with the shotgun with one shot. Would support the roaming playstyle enormously.

I personally call them the sandbox maps, huge maps that have much room to rotate. These are Bank, Coastline, Yacht for some extent, Border, Consulate, Cafe, Bartlett, Skyscraper is more a hybrid map.

All choke point maps are bad for Caveira, because there her movement is very predictable:

Oregon, Plane, Favela, Hereford, House, Clubhouse, Canal (big but restricted movement)

Not so good for hostage mode in my opinion.

Mute, when he plants the jammers for roaming support. Makes it harder to find Caveira.

Jackal and Twitch (silent drone). Also all 3 speed attackers because they can be stealthy too.

Open rotation points for Caveira upstairs the objective, open all non-objective hatches, open important ceiling points, don't play passive, rotate much, listen for explosions, team call outs very important

Play as a roamer team with Mute/Jager. Maybe use barbed wire to locate enemies earlier (you can use silent step to go silent through barbed wire).

Good attacker teams don't go lone wolf. Be ready for the backup behind the injured attacker. Don't interrogate immediately or let yourself backup from the roaming teammate.

Don't play on choke point maps mentioned before as Caveira, because there the ability shines not very much.

Concept is nice, but not polished for competitive gameplay. Make the adjustements please mentioned before and the operator would be a superp roaming alternative to Jager.

At the moment not ESL ready. Even at High Gold and higher not to recommend.

The most important things in my opinion are

1. silent step has to be more consitent with all movement sounds

2. the guns have to be more lethal, the lusion pistol is the injuring weapon to prepare an interrogation

EDIT: 3. The gun change from luison pistol to main gun during the silent step mode should be silent. So sneak behind the opponents (silent step) and than take the shotgun for example to decimate the enemy team.

EDIT3: During silent step mode Caveira doesn't scream if getting hit from bullets or getting injured.

I would like to hear your opinions about my points.
     2 people found this helpful

WBBCoop's Avatar Senior Member
    I haven't played her but I'm pretty positive that she is into Santeria. Can you imagine how many chickens she sacrifices?..probably just me..

I get the luxury of being dead and watching my son play Cav all the time and he can decimate a team given the right circumstances, but he can also quickly become irrelevant when the attackers focus on one point of entry.

There is a fine line between teamwork and selfishness because operators get greedy for a bloodbath. Keeping too far from an objective like Hostage and her regularly played 'way the hell out there' style can really hurt a team. Only those that have a very high awareness, and map knowledge, are truly efficient with her.

I feel as though she sits on the top tier among the operators but usually is used with limited ideals. She is also a very good op to use a mic with given the interrogation aspect.

I feel Cav is real hit and miss in all the wrong places. I think her pistol does too much dmg at long range and herself finds too little use on most maps.

I've been kicking around a few ideas in my head and I think one way that would make her much more usable/popular is to give silent step the ability to visualize sound sources. She is supposed to be a stalker/interrogator, but I think she cannot really reach her full potential because of the spotty sound reporting (hole in ceiling makes it sound like someone is in the room in front of you example). Allowing her to visualize (maybe only within the same room) the direction or source of the sound (eg. door or hole) would really give her a much needed buff.
     3 people found this helpful

Cav seems very tricky. She's currently all-in on crushing bad players who go off on their own and don't communicate, and pretty well useless against teams that stick together, talk and hunt her down. Consequently, she's a terror in pubs and nonexistant in the pro scene.

It would be wonderful to see her buffed to relevance in serious games, but it would have to be done very carefully to prevent her becoming total cancer in the MM.

I'd like to see her given more options when she's under pressure herself, but slightly less impact when producing pressure against teams that are disorganised. I think she's a bit too strong if she gets a flank and - especially - catches someone alone, but a bit too vulnerable to being droned and boxed in right now.

Some thoughts:
    1) Make interrogation safer, but less powerful. Perhaps speed it up and hide the outline of the DBNO'd guy, but make it a jackal scan on every enemy rather than a full wallhack.
    2) A slight buff to her primaries, particularly the SMG at range, but revert the Luison back to a 4ko at range.
    3) Make silent step quieter when she's running/falling/switching guns.

The hope would be to make her more flexible when slipping through a net or fighting a group, but also less able to change the outcome of whole rounds by DBNOing a single guy at stupid range and then interrogating.
     4 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by Bel101 Go to original post
    Cav seems very tricky. She's currently all-in on crushing bad players who go off on their own and don't communicate, and pretty well useless against teams that stick together, talk and hunt her down. Consequently, she's a terror in pubs and nonexistant in the pro scene.

It would be wonderful to see her buffed to relevance in serious games, but it would have to be done very carefully to prevent her becoming total cancer in the MM.

I'd like to see her given more options when she's under pressure herself, but slightly less impact when producing pressure against teams that are disorganised. I think she's a bit too strong if she gets a flank and - especially - catches someone alone, but a bit too vulnerable to being droned and boxed in right now.

Some thoughts:
    1) Make interrogation safer, but less powerful. Perhaps speed it up and hide the outline of the DBNO'd guy, but make it a jackal scan on every enemy rather than a full wallhack.
    2) A slight buff to her primaries, particularly the SMG at range, but revert the Luison back to a 4ko at range.
    3) Make silent step quieter when she's running/falling/switching guns.

The hope would be to make her more flexible when slipping through a net or fighting a group, but also less able to change the outcome of whole rounds by DBNOing a single guy at stupid range and then interrogating.
    My suggestions were:

M12 Buff: Because its an SMG its damage falls very significantly at range.

Damage: 42 and minimum damage 29, heavy barrels minimum damage 38, silencer: max damage 38, min damage 29

Shotgun Buff: Can make vaultable holes in walls with one shot, pellet damage 36, the lusion pistol should be the choice for injuring people, not the primaries

Silent Step:

Cancelling noises like body height change, toggle leaning on/off, gun reload, gun switch, falling down hatches etc.

All noises have to be removed if Caveira is crouching, like the mentioned before. MORE consistency is needed.

Zoro's Avatar Community Representative
    Thanks to everyone for the responses so far!

Loving the suggestions and feedback, keep it up!

I was thinking she should have a throwing knife, I don't know why it comes to my mind. Like the knife can have a special effect of its own. It should slow the enemy down while dealing damage as long as the knife is still in them. It should make the screen wobble slow and deal 1 damage while still and 2 damage while they're moving. They should have an animation taking the knife out the same length as an interrogation. I feel that this would be kinda cool, so there will be a bit more fear. If you get hit with a knife you know Cav is around and you don't want to get caught taking the knife out. So you are taking damage until you feel like you are safe. Teammates can pull the knife out of you. Cav would be lurk supreme.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►