🛈 Announcement
Greetings! The Rocksmith forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game
    AlloysiusGrunt's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by The_Working_Man Go to original post
    Wasn't there room on the stage for the bass? I wonder why that dude (Mikey? Davey? I just remember that one of their names was Davey) had to play the maracas in the video when the bass comes through so clear on the audio.

Not a big fan of their songs, but it does seem likely to be a strong bass pack.
    Their nominal bassist is busy playing the banjo.

Oh, and Davey Jones is playing the maracas. He was considered their frontman, so the producers would only let him play those or a tambourine most of the time.

The_Working_Man's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by AlloysiusGrunt Go to original post
    Their nominal bassist is busy playing the banjo.

Oh, and Davey Jones is playing the maracas. He was considered their frontman, so the producers would only let him play those or a tambourine most of the time.
    Oh thanks. In the video below Davey is playing bass and the banjo guy is playing keys, so that's what got me confused. I guess that's why people say they monkey around.

Originally Posted by krustypalhaco Go to original post

infocat1's Avatar Senior Member
    Nice!!

Gold_Jim's Avatar Senior Member
    Wasn't there room on the stage for the bass? I wonder why that dude (Mikey? Davey? I just remember that one of their names was Davey) had to play the maracas in the video when the bass comes through so clear on the audio.

Not a big fan of their songs, but it does seem likely to be a strong bass pack.
    When the Monkees were created, only 2 of them had a pretty good position and there was a cattle call in Variety magazine for the other 2. Davey Jones wasn't a musician, just a singer, and they wanted him for the accent to bring the girls who were into the Beatles to the fray. Micky Dolenz (drums) who had already been playing drums and acting in other roles was already selected for his role. Stephen Stills and Peter Tork were playing together in the folk community and both tried out for the part. Crosby Stills Nash and Young could have been a different band had Stills got the role in the Monkees. Nesmith (guitar) had been playing as well. The Monkees were only vocals and acting in the beginning, but when the album sales soared past the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, it was time to put them on the road. They played alongside some hired guns as Davey didn't play an instrument. They also played on their last two albums.

Famously, Jimi Hendrix was booed by their fans and left the tour, but that makes sense. People who enjoy the Monkees brad of pop weren't going to understand Hendrix's psychedelic fare. They still play as the Monkees with a video of Davey for "Daydream Believer" as that was always his voice. Davey Jones died in 2012.

Originally Posted by DanAmrich Go to original post
    Very curious to see how this sells. I'm super happy as a fan, but I am curious to see how many other people open their wallets for this one!
    It would be interesting to see the sales metrics.

infocat1's Avatar Senior Member
    Oh thanks. In the video below Davey is playing bass and the banjo guy is playing keys, so that's what got me confused. I guess that's why people say they monkey around.
    I don't recall Davy Jones "playing" bass, or anything other than handheld percussion, in any other video.

The_Working_Man's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by infocat1 Go to original post
    I don't recall Davy Jones "playing" bass, or anything other than handheld percussion, in any other video.
    Look at the video for Pleasant Valley Sunday that I posted into my post directly below the quote that you quoted.

Isn't this Davey Jones whipping that bass's *** in the video for Pleasant Valley Sunday?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm seeing the same person playing bass in Pleasant Valley Sunday who is playing maracas in the video for What Am I Doing Hangin' Around. And the dude playing keys in Pleasant Valley Sunday is playing banjo in What Am I Doing Hangin Around (who someone else said is the bassist).

Am I missing something or are you guys not looking at the 2 Monkees videos which have been posted so far?

Edit: man, tinypic.com isn't working for me at all today. I hope that is something that isn't going to continue.

Yes, that was Davey miming bass in the video that you posted, Working Man. He had an English accent and was the youngest member of the troupe. He could play drums, but he was short, and the producers thought that this would just exaggerate it, so they kept him out front.

The guy miming banjo in "What Am I Doing Playing Around" was Peter. The one in the knit cap is Mike, and the one who typically plays drums is Micky. Micky played guitar and took drum lessons to play drums live. These three could actually play their instruments and did on their 3rd and 4th albums as well as on tour.

As mentioned earlier, Peter Tork played with Stephen Stills before joining the Monkees. He could play keys, guitar, bass, and banjo.

People forget that on a couple of occasions the Monkeys actually topped the Beatles in the charts.
     1 people found this helpful

Looks like the last song is Vallri