whats the prefered game card for IL-2 using a dimension 4550 w/256mb DDR SDRAM @333MHz.
    i currently have a 64MB GeForce MX Graphics card and i don't think its good enough. can anyone help.
    thanks chuck

whats the prefered game card for IL-2 using a dimension 4550 w/256mb DDR SDRAM @333MHz.
    i currently have a 64MB GeForce MX Graphics card and i don't think its good enough. can anyone help.
    thanks chuck

Hercules Graphics Card ?

LOL sorry - you'll need AGP (does it have that ?) then buy a Radeon 9800 Pro.

ALSO you need 1Gig of RAM to run FB acceptable with planes in the air...

Night is better than Day

I think most everyone will tell you to go with a 9800 Pro. If you can afford it anyhow.

I have a GeForce4 Ti 4600 and its like two years old and runs FB just fine for me. I can run perfect settings but not the best but I dont need that just the gameplay.

I agree you are going to need 1 gig of RAM to allow the FPS to stay smooth.

Check your power source before you pick up that Radeon. Your going to need something like a 350W to 400W source to run it correctly. I personally didn't feel like messing around with that particular card so I returned it and got a AGP GeForce FX 5500 Overclocked from a friend. It has 256MB, and runs with a 250W power supply (I would recommend 300W). Its definitely not the best card on the market, but its cheaper than the Radeon and I've been happy with it.

i have a amd 2800+ 2x256 corsair pc2700 in dual channel and a Sapphire 9600xt...first of all, i have everything maxxed out..full AA and AF, and its playable. Get a 9600xt or above is your best idea...and you will need a better PSU to run a 9800 pro

With that rig best bang for the buck upgrade would be to get at least another 256M stick of DDR333. Judging by your rig I doubt you need top of the line gear but if you want to play IL2 decently you dont want the low end stuff either. There are 2 real players making chips in the graphics industry. NVIDIA and ATI. So here are there "mid-range" chips that you will want to look for:
    NVIDIA: FX5700
    ATI: Radeon 9600pro or 9600XT
    While us enthusiasts will quabble for days on the ins and outs of each I doubt you would be dissapointed with any card based on these chipsets.

HH Quazi's Avatar Banned
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cobra strk:
    thanks chuck<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a Dell 4550 also. It came with the same card. But like you, it ran FB ok but not all that well. Most will tell you to go with a 9800 Pro from ATI. But I didn't have that kind of cash. I was going to go with a higher end Nvidia. But I had three different techs tell me the Dell computers end up with allot of IRQ conflicts when trying to install higher end Nvidia's. And was told the 5700 wouldn't get me much more, as far as frame rates go, than a 5200. So I went with a 9600XT. Excellent card with excellent performance. I run perfect landscape and get an average of 40fps to 45fps in my Host's Choice Stalingrad campaign missions. If you look around enough, you probably can find one for $150 or a little less. Beware of the third party cards. Try to stay with a genuine ATI card. I've had a friend that has had bad experiences with third party Radeon cards.

PF_Coastie's Avatar Senior Member
    You absolutely MUST get more ram. Along with everyones good advice above.

What is your CPU?

PF_Coastie

Coasties Place

CATALYST 4.2 OGL

Coasties FB and ATI settings

Click here to find out more about FIGHTER SWEEPS 2

OFFICIAL ATI BETA TESTER

Inadaze's Avatar Senior Member
    I've a got a Radeon 9700pro and my best Bud has a 9600pro. There's not that much between them performance wise.

I've found the ATI a sweet card. They do need a decent power supply like others have said. To be honest PSUs in most stock cases are terrible, I've come across an increasing ammount of folk with problems that are caused by cr*p PSUs.

We pay hundreds for Mobo's, Graphic Cards, CPUs and memory and yet people completely ignore the power supply. I've started looking at a decent, quiet reliable PSU as being as vital as any other component. (Keep away from Qtec PSUs, lots of people have had problems with them and radeon cards)

Ram helps. If your Mobo supports dual channel try to get an extra stick the same make and type as your current brand. It helps keep things stable and using dual channel helps frame rates quite a bit.

Hope you have a good upgrade

S! ~ Inadaze