Zoro's Avatar Community Representative

R6 Community Discusses - Kanal

This week's discussion will focus on the map Kanal. This series has been added to the R6 forums to facilitate discussions among the community involving map tips and strategy that often get buried or lost in the abundance of others posts that flood the forums.

The goal of this series is to not only give new players a primer on a specific map, but also for mid-level or competitive players a chance to share the knowledge that they have accrued in their experiences and maybe let people know something that they did not know before.

For this edition, we will discuss the map, Kanal!

Link to Kanal info HERE
    Kanal Wiki
    Rainbow Six Complete Guide

Below are some discussion points we would like to see from community members that decide to respond. Feel free to discuss other information that may be helpful to the community about this map. Posts that do not contribute to the healthy discussion of this thread will be removed.

1) In your opinion, what is the best area of the map for defenders/attackers?
    2) Which Operators shine on this map? Which operators have you struggled with here?
    3) The camera placement, how well is the map covered by defender cameras?
    4) Objective placements, which is your favorite location? Least favorite?
    5) Which game modes do you prefer on this map?
    6) Spawn locations. yay or nay on the current locations?
    7) Has this map made you play the game differently?
    8) Map layout, what do you think of the design of this map?
    9) What is something that a new player should know when playing this map?
    10) What is your overall opinion of this map? Where would you rank it among the other maps in the game?

You can also add to any of our previous discussions: R6 Discusses - All Topics

feffreyfeffrey's Avatar Banned
    Looking a bit dry here
     1 people found this helpful

Kanal

1) In your opinion, what is the best area of the map for defenders/attackers?*
    Defenders: Boat Supplies
    Attackers: Maps Office
    2) Which Operators shine on this map? Which operators have you struggled with here?
    Thermite, Hibana, Thatcher, Bandit and Mute because the reinforced walls are OP
    I struggle with sledge because the defenders reinforce almost every entrance point and the ceilings are also well protected because there's not much to reinforce
    Decent but can be easily destroyed, especially the ones for the hallways
    Favourite: Boat Supplies
    Least: Coast Guard on bomb
    Hostage and Secure Area, bomb locations are not the best tbh
    Also decent after the update
    Yes, I pretty much always go for the reinforced walls. On other maps I'm more of a ceiling player.
    8) Map layout, what do you think of the design of this map?*
    Not the best but unique
    Just don't run straight out of spawn and watch out for the windows.
    10) What is your overall opinion of this map? Where would you rank it among the other maps in the game?
    Probably my 3rd least favourite map because it's way too big and having just 1 way into the other area of the map just doesn't help

Originally Posted by feffreyfeffrey Go to original post
    Looking a bit dry here
    True! I was at least expecting more conversation based around the recent changes to address spawnkilling and the change back.

Is it me?

Originally Posted by hayyanhaider_ Go to original post

Yes, I pretty much always go for the reinforced walls. On other maps I'm more of a ceiling player.
    Thanks for the feedback hayyanhaider!

So you mean that Kanal has made you focus more on dealing with reinforced walls than approaching through hatches?

NATural22cHANce's Avatar Senior Member
    Haven't done one of these in a while, but I kinda feel bad for this map not getting any discussion. Anyhow...

1. Best place to defend is server/control room (east building 3rd floor). Attacking is viable on every other site, however I think all the sites are pretty balanced, at least for Secure Area, which is what I play for the most part.

2. It's a great map for Fuze, Buck, IQ, and Pulse due to the majority of the floors being destructable, 3 speeds, especially Jager and Bandit, are king on defense, and Glaz is typically good to snipe from the opposite rooftop.

Kapkan struggles due to a lack of interior doorways and an overabundance of entry points from outside. Frost has similar issues but can always place her traps on the top of a set of stairs or under a rappel-only window. Kappy just doesn't have enough variety in his interior placements and you have to be really lucky if the attackers go through the outside door/window you put your trap on. Plus there's no red walls or floors to help hide your lasers.

Sledge is the only attacker (besides shields but that's just because they're shields) who I feel can't use his utility to its fullest, unless the defense is downstairs. However I think you're better off with Buck or maybe even Ash because they can utilize their destructability from below as well.

3. Not the worst. They don't cover too much but if there's any defenders around they're difficult to shoot without exposing yourself. Let's just call them balanced.

4. Don't really have a favorite. Server gets old for Secure Area sometimes. That window being closed was a nice shakeup but it's still better open.

5. I'm a Secure player generally speaking and this map doesn't really change that.

6. They all work. Docks is probably safest but I went Construction a lot even before the recent patches. I generally spawn on the opposite side of the map from where the objective is and don't use the south spawn.

7. It's a unique map but it's hard to say what's different about the way I approach it. On attack I suppose this was the first map where I realized the importance of hunting roamers, because of how many places they can shoot across from one building to the other. Defensively I often am that roamer I'm talking about and I rarely stay directly on the site.

8. Nothing I would change but nothing I would necessarily want repeated on any future maps. The concept of two separate buildings with one connecting bridge is interesting but I feel like one map like that is enough. I would be interested to see how it would play if the garage doors were closed and reinforce-able like every other garage in the game, but that's just curiosity rather than a desire for a change to happen.

9. New guys: Don't run straight towards the building! Watch the windows and learn the common run-out spots. Vets: Learn how to utilize the destructable floors. That's about the depth of my Kanal expertise.

10. Middle of the road. Don't love it or hate it. There's not a ton of variation in the gameplay, which makes it similar to House, Plane, or Hereford, but it's not really annoying or repetitive, it's just Siege. 7/10

WBBCoop's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Ubi-Zoro Go to original post
    True! I was at least expecting more conversation based around the recent changes to address spawnkilling and the change back.

Is it me?
    Nope. It wasn't too long ago when I was very vocal about that window being blocked off..and how it was gonna screw up my style.

My son and I finally ran Kanal just yesterday so I made sure to record it for you guys. I always blow the control room wall so we can get around to that window so we can shoot Fuse playing praying mantis on the wall. Thanks for not changing it..and if you did, (while my tv was in the shop) I missed it..in that case thanks for changing it back

Taking control of the entire area is probably how I would best describe my style on all maps and this map in particular requires an enormous amount of 'swivel head' for even the vets out there. If we lock ourselves tight it's always to be easy for the attacking team to converge us. It is easily shown that the devs had every intention for the mass mayhem of two buildings facing each other so reaching out towards the outer perimeters seems to work best for me even more so on this map than others. It really is a fun map to explore possibilities with. 9/10

* (1:15) The video shows a team kill, committed by the the servers, vicariously through me..so don't be too hard on me. Could you please fwd that part to the team.

Originally Posted by NATural22cHANce Go to original post
    8. Nothing I would change but nothing I would necessarily want repeated on any future maps. The concept of two separate buildings with one connecting bridge is interesting but I feel like one map like that is enough. I would be interested to see how it would play if the garage doors were closed and reinforce-able like every other garage in the game, but that's just curiosity rather than a desire for a change to happen.

9. New guys: Don't run straight towards the building! Watch the windows and learn the common run-out spots. Vets: Learn how to utilize the destructable floors. That's about the depth of my Kanal expertise.
    Hey NATural22cHANce,

Interesting thoughts, I too am now curious how the map would play differently if the garage doors played similarly to other maps.

Also, good advice! Kanal can be a great map to catch pesky peekers.

Originally Posted by WBBCoop Go to original post
    My son and I finally ran Kanal just yesterday so I made sure to record it for you guys. I always blow the control room wall so we can get around to that window so we can shoot Fuse playing praying mantis on the wall. Thanks for not changing it..and if you did, (while my tv was in the shop) I missed it..in that case thanks for changing it back

Taking control of the entire area is probably how I would best describe my style on all maps and this map in particular requires an enormous amount of 'swivel head' for even the vets out there. If we lock ourselves tight it's always to be easy for the attacking team to converge us. It is easily shown that the devs had every intention for the mass mayhem of two buildings facing each other so reaching out towards the outer perimeters seems to work best for me even more so on this map than others. It really is a fun map to explore possibilities with. 9/10

* (1:15) The video shows a team kill, committed by the the servers, vicariously through me..so don't be too hard on me. Could you please fwd that part to the team.
    Thanks for sharing your advice and clip WBBCoop! I've been hoping to see more footage with all of these discussions, so hopefully this trend can continue!

I'm curious about the team kill situation, can you explain what happened? It looks like you were prepared to catch the rusher and then your aim just auto-corrected. Let me know if you have more details.

WBBCoop's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Ubi-Zoro Go to original post
    I'm curious about the team kill situation, can you explain what happened? It looks like you were prepared to catch the rusher and then your aim just auto-corrected. Let me know if you have more details.
    Well..I guess there was a sync/lag comp issue. When I went to fire on the rusher, my own mate's head blew open because the game thought his head was where it was a split second before.

I could put up a full speed vid of the incident, but it happened so fast. Bottom line is that the servers can only do so much in reproducing a real time event over wires and cables. It's not a big deal Zoro..I just wanted to make sure I didn't get a forum bashing..as I don't script my records. If I play good great..if I suck then oh well.

OH..and did you see the GRW Sharefactory thingy? ..please, Please make one for R6..please!

Since I nearly play this map everytime I hop on the game...

1. Defenders- boat supplies area and control room (provided that proper defense is done)
    Attackers- coast guard office area, maps office area and server room
    2. Tachanka is a struggle here due to many angles and windows attackers can come from. Other than that, if objective is not at boat supplies or control room or server room, Hibana and Thermite are not necessarily in demand. Glaz and Blackbeard are good as long as you can protect the run out areas. Valkyrie is also good.
    3. Indifferent. I am neither pleased nor displeased.
    4. None, I am indifferent to all.
    5. Hostage and Bomb (only with a team)
    6. Another map that could have a roof spawn, I have been wishing for roof spawns in some maps such as Bank, Kafe and Consulate. In terms of normal spawns, I'd say Sailboat and Construction site are the closest to safe.
    7. No, it has not. Although it is one of the first maps where I used the "sweep the building from the other side to the objective" since it is easy to drone the whole place out
    8. 3 floors but corridors are narrow and rooms are not that big, not many hiding spots and predictable entry points. Something needs to be done to thst bridge, either add more rooms besides it, but not just a long corridor.
    9. Aggressive defenders love this map, use the roof to your advantage and avoid going inside the building unless you are perfectly sure the area you are entering is secure. Narrow corridors give defenders a huge advantage and not many breaching points from outside. As much as possible, a perfect droning is always required in these types of maps.
    10. In my neutral section of the list, it is at least better than House and hereford base where everything is nearly predictable but has a huge lack of variation. Particularly the right side of the map. Defenders who roam almost dominate the building. The run outs even make it a roamer map because once defenders know where the attackers are, and they defend the areas, it is pretty much a defender round. It feels like once you go in, there is a defender nearby even though you drone the area perfectly. If you are attacking, I feel there is a must to enter the building quickly and take control of an area because it is so vital to get good positioning here to prevent run outs and roamers from being so pesky. Overall, 6/10.

Kanal, the good and the bad

1) In your opinion, what is the best area of the map for defenders/attackers?

In my opinion, the most effective and easiest place to defend is the servers and adjacent rooms (depending on the game mode). The best area to spawn however is debatable as each zone is vulnerable to instant spawn killing, I'd say stick to cover and drone out windows before pushing and be sure to pre-aim at windows and "jiggle-peak" to ensure you are safest leaving whichever spawn you decide to choose.

2) Which Operators shine on this map? Which operators have you struggled with here? Mira is the obvious first choice, her windows in the connecting room of servers are insane. You can reach every side of the room effectively, provide a vault if you place one at crouch height and provide amazing cover at the same time. On attack I'd say Glaz due to the roof being a very good spot. Operators that might struggle are Tachanka, but mainly because he is just weak all-round and myabe IQ because of the confined hallways and her one armor putting her at a disadvantage in most fights.

The outside of the map normally goes dark within three seconds of the game becausethe cameras get instantly shot out as they are all placed at spawn points (same with every map really). Inside I'd say that the cameras are decent, but if you want great cameras just take a Valkyrie.

I like all of the objective placements on this map apart from the map room, simply because it is surrounded by windows and so much destructable terrain that cover becomes very limited.

I like both bomb and secure on this map, secure is probably my favourite though.

Definately nay, you can get killed whilst materializing on most spawn points especially with the shield climbs. I'd say if the spawn points had more cover, they'd be perfect.

I wouldn't say it has that much, you have to be more methodical and check a lot of spots as attackers though. It is a map of constant paranoia, especially in solo.

8) Map layout, what do you think of the design of this map?

I quite like the design myself, others may disagree. I wish there was two walkways between the building though, would make it very interesting.

Check the windows and literally every corner when attacking. When defending, use the confined corridors to your favour and set up what are essentially "no-go zones"

It's alright, probably one of my least favourite maps but that doesn't mean I still don't enjoy playing it. All the maps are good, just some exploits really make it a struggle.