I made some simple tests with different Fw-190 loadouts and made some interesting observations. Please forgive me if this subject already has been covered.

First the A-4. I tested topspeed on SL with different loadouts. Settings were full real + speedbar, standart quickmission on the Crimea, steadily racing along the waves. I used 110% power, rad closed and auto-RPM.

Standart loadout: 530 kph
    U1: 2x MG151/20: 520 kph
    U1: Sc250: 520 kph
    U3: Sc500: 520 kph
    R1: Sc500: 520 kph

Please note I dropped to bomb first and checked top speed with the corrsponding bomb-rack.

Observations:

-The U1: 2x MG151 option looks absolutly useless to me. While it removes the outer guns and the machineguns ( I guess for better performance ), it adds the centerline bomrack to the plane. So you get a plane with reduced firepower that is actualy slower than with the standart armement ! Any chance to remove the bombrack on this loadout ? To reduce firepower for better performance (*better* ) looks usefull for me.

-The U3 option looks quite useless too, comparing to R1. With R1 you keep the outer guns while carrying a bomb with exactly the same topspeed as with U3. So the presence of the outer guns doesn't seem to have any influence on topspeed. Perhaps it affects rollrate, climrate or maneuverability.

-------

Now to the A-8:

Same settings, but with WEP.

Standart: 575 kph
    Sc500: 575 kph
    None: 575 kph

Please note again that I tested speed after droping the bomb to check speed with the rack.

The A-8 model always has the bomrack installed ( graphicaly ) and it actualy seems to carry it all the time FM wise. Top speed with standart armement is identical with top speed after dropping a bomb. This means that even the standart loadout includes the bombrack !
    I don't know if late Fw-190 always carried it, but I can hardly imagine they did so ! Is there any chance Oleg can remove that brick from our non-jabo 190 ?

Please note that this tests were weren't done sientifically and could include faults. They are just some observations and are input for a discussion.

Btw, I encountered a litle bug while doing this. The climbrate indicator (?, I mean Variometer ) indicates -1m/s while flying level in the Fw-190.

I made some simple tests with different Fw-190 loadouts and made some interesting observations. Please forgive me if this subject already has been covered.

First the A-4. I tested topspeed on SL with different loadouts. Settings were full real + speedbar, standart quickmission on the Crimea, steadily racing along the waves. I used 110% power, rad closed and auto-RPM.

Standart loadout: 530 kph
    U1: 2x MG151/20: 520 kph
    U1: Sc250: 520 kph
    U3: Sc500: 520 kph
    R1: Sc500: 520 kph

Please note I dropped to bomb first and checked top speed with the corrsponding bomb-rack.

Observations:

-The U1: 2x MG151 option looks absolutly useless to me. While it removes the outer guns and the machineguns ( I guess for better performance ), it adds the centerline bomrack to the plane. So you get a plane with reduced firepower that is actualy slower than with the standart armement ! Any chance to remove the bombrack on this loadout ? To reduce firepower for better performance (*better* ) looks usefull for me.

-The U3 option looks quite useless too, comparing to R1. With R1 you keep the outer guns while carrying a bomb with exactly the same topspeed as with U3. So the presence of the outer guns doesn't seem to have any influence on topspeed. Perhaps it affects rollrate, climrate or maneuverability.

-------

Now to the A-8:

Same settings, but with WEP.

Standart: 575 kph
    Sc500: 575 kph
    None: 575 kph

Please note again that I tested speed after droping the bomb to check speed with the rack.

The A-8 model always has the bomrack installed ( graphicaly ) and it actualy seems to carry it all the time FM wise. Top speed with standart armement is identical with top speed after dropping a bomb. This means that even the standart loadout includes the bombrack !
    I don't know if late Fw-190 always carried it, but I can hardly imagine they did so ! Is there any chance Oleg can remove that brick from our non-jabo 190 ?

Please note that this tests were weren't done sientifically and could include faults. They are just some observations and are input for a discussion.

Btw, I encountered a litle bug while doing this. The climbrate indicator (?, I mean Variometer ) indicates -1m/s while flying level in the Fw-190.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Please note I dropped to bomb first and checked top speed with the corrsponding bomb-rack.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oleg has said he did not model the drag of the bombrack, which would reduce speed by about 6mph IIRC.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MBot:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The bombrack was not always carried but was very commonly used.

What would be nice is if we could delete the outer cannons on A-series a/c which would delete about 250kg of weight. This was requested by many pilots as just the 2x20mm and 2x13mm were found to be effective even against heavy bombers.

The Fw190F8 is rapidly becoming one of my favorites because it has the trigger setup like the Dora, MGs on one button, 20mm on the other. This allows me to fire the cannons without the muzzle flash from the cowl guns. I'd love to see this setup on the earlier 190 versions.

www.7Jg77.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FW190fan:
    Oleg has said he did not model the drag of the bombrack, which would reduce speed by about 6mph IIRC.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats strange, cause I could defenitly notice the bombrack in my tests. The clean A-4 made 530 kph on the deck, the R1 did 520 kph after I dropped the bomb.

Interesting note that the bombrack was commonly used. Thinking again about it, it sounds logical as they often carryed drop tanks.
    Still the A-4 and A-5 in FB don't carry the bombrack with the default loadout, so it would be nice to have that on the A-8 and A-9 too.

What do you think about the U1: 2x MG151/20 option on the A-4 ? This configuration removes the MG17 and the MG-FF but adds the bombrack. So this plane is 10 kph slower and less armed than the default config. Rather pointless if you ask me. U1 without the rack would be cool.

As for the Ux options, those are bomber variants, not fighter variants. It was possible (and was done not uncommonly as I understand) to remove outer wing cannon on a fighter, but this is not an option in the game. The weight savings for the Ux variants are used to allow higher bombloads and help with takeoff conditions and such, not sure to what extent these effects are modelled.

I have flown the A5, A4 and A9s alot, and I am convinced that the bombrack on the A8/A9 is not modelled, i.e. its presence has no effect on the FM as it should. The topspeeds I get with A8/9 match the specs w/o bombrack. More importantly I do not feel them in the FM. If you take an A4/5 and drop the bomb you can feel the bombrack when you pull Gs, it feels like it changes the stallspeeds (especially the accelerated stalls), while on the A8/9 the plane feels clean (or at least it did in 1.21).

"Oleg has said he did not model the drag of the bombrack, which would reduce speed by about 6mph IIRC."

I believe this was only in reference to the A8/9.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"Oleg has said he did not model the drag of the bombrack, which would reduce speed by about 6mph IIRC."

I believe this was only in reference to the A8/9.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, that's interesting. Didn't know that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MBot:

Thats strange, cause I could defenitly notice the bombrack in my tests. The clean A-4 made 530 kph on the deck, the R1 did 520 kph after I dropped the bomb.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps Oleg did factor in drag for the A-4 series after all.