Originally Posted by Fatal-Feit Go to original post
    In the hack and slash genre, or more specifically, the Soulsborne/Souls-like titles, which is where the combat seems to be taking huge inspiration from, the ability to unlock is a handy tool. While lock-on allows players to focus on the enemies in front of them, unlocked allows players to take control the fight in different ways. It allows players to quickly and manually attack from any direction without needing to toggle between enemies at the sacrifice of their defense. It offers more mobility, which in itself is useful for various things, such as trying to escape, controlling the distance of the enemies for long ranged players, and it's convenient for experts like speedrunners who studied the ins and outs of the enemy AIs and doesn't need to rely on lock-on.

In previous titles, there were no high profile attacks, only high profile assassinations, which are still in Origins, but executed through sprint speed this time.

[EDIT] That's possible in BF/Ro, but in Syndicate, players can't free aim during combat mode. Players had to exit the combat space to free aim. Origins removed combat mode entirely and made everything accessible from the get-go. My problem here is not just about high profile, but how contextual the old control schemes were. Also, animals are no longer QTE battles.

The High/Low Profiles system have been around since the series have begun, but it was never anything special. They're inconsistent throughout the games and don't provide any advantages to the controls we have now in Origins. You say there's nothing they can't do with High/Low Profiles that they already do now, but the fact that they're doing more without them is my point.

You might believe some controls have been made less functional or deep, but it's the opposite. Want to walk, jog or sprint? Tilt the analog to your liking. Perform "High Profile" assassinations? Tilt the analog all the way while performing the action. Want to parkour at maximum speed? Hold parkour or parkour down with your analog tilted to the max. They simply removed a button that didn't need to be there.

Removing the High/Low Profiles system didn't create less space on the controller, as I said before, we have more actions and freedom than ever, and all of it is accessible at once.

Spoiler:  Show
    Origins:

RT/HOLD - Heavy Attack/Charged Attack / Shoot Ranged Weapon / Accelerate Eagle
    RB - Light Attack

Y - Interact
    B - Parkour Down/Swim Down / Dismount
    X - Roll
    A - Parkour/Swim Up

LT/HOLD - Free Aim Bow / Station Eagle
    LB - Toggle Shield / Aimlock

LS/HOLD - Normal/Eagle/Mount Movement / Animus Pulse
    RS/Click/Hold - Camera / Crouch / Pass Time

D-pad Up - Eagle / Exit
    D-pad Down/Hold - Whistle / Call Mount
    D-pad Left/Hold - Switch Ranged Weapon / Equip Tool
    D-pad Right/Hold - Switch Weapon / Draw/Holster Torch

Start - Quest Log
    Select - World Map

Blag Flag:

RT/HOLD - High Profile / Free Run
    RB - Island Information

Y - Quick Tool
    B - Interact
    X - Assassinate
    A - Fast Walk / Jump

LT/HOLD - Free Aim
    LB - Reload

LS/Click - Move / Eagle Vision
    RS/Click - Camera / Center Camera

D-pad Up - Melee Weapon Select
    D-pad Down/Hold - Melee Weapon Select
    D-pad Left/Hold - Tool Select
    D-pad Right/Hold - Tool Select

Start - Pause Menu
    Select - World Map

Syndicate:

RT/HOLD - High Profile
    RB - Rook Management

Y - Quick Tool
    B - Interact / Parkour Down
    X - Assassinate
    A - Crouch / Parkour Up

LT/HOLD - Free Aim
    LB - Rope Launcher

LS/Click - Movement / Eagle Vision
    RS/Click - Camera / Center Camera

D-pad Up - Medicine
    D-pad Down/Hold - Whistle
    D-pad Left/Hold - Tool Select
    D-pad Right/Hold - Tool Select

Start - Main Menu
    Select - World Map / Progression Log

As you can see, nothing was held back. High Profile's main innovation was towards notoriety, not so much the controls. And since Social Stealth is not in Origins, a High/Low Profile system does not need to exist.
    Well my point still stands, removal of buttons that alter the functions of others limits everything you can do in a game to the amount of buttons available on the controller/gamepad.

If you want more functionality in a game, you need methods that can alter the functions of what's there, or else in game mini menus for inventory and item, tool, or weapon swapping.

Anyone willing to accept a reasonable argument would agree.

But I don't argue in circles, gonna have to settle for the laughable "agree to disagree" so common to this kind of silly debating.

As for Syndicate, I've honestly never tried free aiming in that game. But it was indeed possible in Unity. Typically though, it's never a good idea to used ranged aiming in melee combat, and factors that change that aren't exclusively dependent on the presence or lack thereof of something like ACs high profile mode on the triggers.

cawatrooper9's Avatar AC Forum Moderator
    Alright, so the controller map discussion is interesting, but it makes one huge assumption: "If one more feature would be added to the controller, it would be a hood toggle".

Sorry to the fans of the hood toggle, but I don't think we can make that assumption. Cool as a toggle would be, I think that it's probably further down the priority line on things that could be mapped to the controller than we think.

Fatal-Feit's Avatar Senior Member
    I don't think we're going in circles.

As for Syndicate, I've honestly never tried free aiming in that game. But it was indeed possible in Unity. Typically though, it's never a good idea to used ranged aiming in melee combat, and factors that change that aren't exclusively dependent on the presence or lack thereof of something like ACs high profile mode on the triggers.
    As I said in my last post, the problem comes from the restrictive, contextual design of the control schemes in the previous games. Understanding the rules for High/Low Profiles is confusing (esp since the devs change them EVERY GAME) and the system can sometimes become limiting when designing new systems (I'm looking at you, AC3-Ro's parkour), which are why the devs continued to design mechanics and control schemes around it. Anyway, free aim was not possible during combat in Unity; it works similarly to Syndicate.

Originally Posted by WendysBrioche Go to original post
    Well my point still stands, removal of buttons that alter the functions of others limits everything you can do in a game to the amount of buttons available on the controller/gamepad.

If you want more functionality in a game, you need methods that can alter the functions of what's there, or else in game mini menus for inventory and item, tool, or weapon swapping.

Anyone willing to accept a reasonable argument would agree.

But I don't argue in circles, gonna have to settle for the laughable "agree to disagree" so common to this kind of silly debating.
    You have two points. Buttons that gives access to other actions being practical, like a Weapon Wheel, which I do agree with depending on the design (one click for hood toggle and two clicks for crouch is an example of what I disagree with), and then there's defending the High/Low Profiles system. Using the former as an argument for the latter doesn't work because the latter doesn't provide richer controls.

Page 4 of 4 ◄◄  First ... 234