DanAmrich's Avatar Rocksmith Dev Team
    For me, I lean toward Fender designs/conventions. I have a few Fenders (America, Mexico, and Korea), and most of my other most-loved guitars are riffs on Fender designs rather than Gibson-inspired.

Originally Posted by ZagatoZee Go to original post
    Fender or Gibson? Neither.

Both brands have a fetish for using ugly looking plastic bits, solely to make it cheaper to build - then charging an insane premium for it, or just to mess up the look of an otherwise pretty instrument.
    Easily replaced, though. That's part of the fun for me, adding metal knobs or other custom accessories over time to make it "mine." The blue Les Paul that we used at RS Live and on the live streams for so many years was one of those instruments -- I paid out of pocket to get knew knobs, pickguard, pickup surrounds, all that stuff. It was a good guitar underneath -- and the plastic was easily recycled.

Sadly it's more the customers fault here than the brand, anytime they try to do something different - the buyers reject it.
    This is something I very much agree with. I can't argue that the Strat got a lot right straight away and I love mine -- but the reverence for tradition gets to a point that baffles me. I am always interested in seeing new shapes, new materials, and new ideas.

I'll stick with my Chapmans / Schecters and most other guitars made in Korea over almost any USA made instrument thanks. Paul Reed Smith being the exception.
    I'm still not on board with PRS. I have read a lot of interviews with Paul and I really respect his passion and expertise, but I have not found a PRS that speaks to me when I pick it up. I bought one -- one I really loved on paper and paid a lot to track down -- and even though it was the ultimate PRS for me, I never got on with it. I was happy to sell it to someone when I found my dream guitar.

Weirdly I feel the same way about Martin. I just don't connect.

I'm not sure why it happened, but when I decided I wanted to learn to play guitar, all I wanted was a Strat. Over time, I bought a lot of guitars (that hung on the wall and never got played). Sold most of them over the years. I have 7 electrics now - 6 Fenders (3 Teles, 2 Strats and a Jag) and 1 Epiphone Les Paul Ultra III (only bought it because it was SO cheap and I wanted to experiment with all of the electronics).

I own one acoustic. I saved for a while and watched deals and bought a Taylor Acoustic a year or so ago. I love that guitar.

toreyj01's Avatar Member
    I have both and don't really have a preference, other than the fact that my Les Paul Studio is a Gibson and has coil splitting while my Strat is an HSS Mexican. It still plays great and I love it, but you can tell the difference between them in terms of quality.

I keep the Strat in E Standard because its a bear to drop tune it, the Gibson is easy to drop tune all the way to C Standard and lower with a set of 10s.

I also have a Schechter Hellraiser for lower tuned stuff and metal songs, and it can simply blow the other two out of the water when its playing in its wheelhouse. Fast, fast guitar.

I bounce between them in regards to what I play each day, some days I am feeling the Strat, some days I am feeling the Gibson.

I suppose if I were to upgrade anything it would be the Strat, maybe get a US Strat with Shawbuckers or TV Jones pickups on it.

I usually play my Danelectro because I'm weird, but its Fender all the way. Thats probably just because of my fav guitarists more than anything, when I was old enough I just wanted a Telecaster sooo bad.
     1 people found this helpful

TJ_Wylde's Avatar Member
    Think i'd really be a Gibsonian. But we have an open relationship so sometimes i see others

ren758's Avatar Junior Member
    Since everybody else is commenting (including the famous Dan), I figured I would throw in my $.05.

Short Answer: Neither. I am still in love with Ibanez (love the Wizard Neck profile)... I've got a classic Rio, the famous RGKP (for mad stupid fun), and an AF75 Artcore (beautiful arch top). All were purchased used/returned at deep discount. A little bit of love and they look/act like new. ProTip: If you like a used guitar - but the only model your 'big box' store has is kinda messed up - BUY THE INSURANCE. You get an exchange with no questions asked-when they see you dropped the extra $$$ on the insurance.

I am not married to Ibanez however...I recently took some BIG RISKS purchasing a used Line6 JTV89 (on Rev--b) (name withheld to avoid problems). I took a LOT of risks purchasing this guitar, and I would NOT recommend doing that. I got lucky. I dealt with an honest individual who sold me an expensive (for me) guitar at a great price - the guitar played and looks pristine, with the electronicals in new condition. However, after reading the potential horrors of that site, I won't do that again. The James Tyler Fast N Flat profile really felt sexy in my hands - the rest is just fun,fun,fun. Read up on the guitar to understand why.

As a nod to the RS folks- I have my eyes on a Gibson Explorer Custom and/or a Firebird T with the classic tuners.

I'd call myself a Fenderite but only as a fan boy as I'm not lucky ($$$) enough to own one. Do Squiers count? I'm thinking about buying one after seeing this post speak highly of them but I'm not certain at this point.

Telecasters make me drool haha.

Lord-Flatus's Avatar Member
    I'm a Schecter man. I love the value. I have a tele looking one with a fat neck, a strat looking one with a thinner neck, and an explorer looking one with a compound radius neck. And a bass. I looks at all brands and lust after well appointed American made Strats and Ernie Ball Musicmen, but when it comes time to buy I always end at the Schecter store.

Oh well.

Ibanez. Lighter, better necks, better quality at better prices. Gibson and Fender can't make guitars for under $1000 that play like a guitar that costs $2000, Ibanez can and does.

Both/neither

I like Fenders and Gibsons, own/have owned both. I guess I'm a Paul Reed Smithist. Their core line is too expensive for me but I have a S2 Custom 24, and love everything about it.