I want to know about connection speeds in relation to IL2 online. I recently discovered that I could play LOMAC online because the required connection is at 28.8 Kbps. This is great because I have 56K dial-up (I know I should get high speed but other priorities prevent expenditures on it). My qusetion is: Is there a way to tell the connection speeds before joining a game so I know if I'll be alright while playing in the room? I use Hyperlobby and I got into a few games the other night no prob but then jumped into one and was told "ping is 1 of 3". I guess that means I was too slow and I got out so I wouldn't cause any problems. Sorry for the ignorant question but I generally play offline (for about 2 years now) and have never really looked into the online play part. I'll admit its alot more fun chasing people rather than AI. Any answers or suggestions would be great. Thanks

Stretch

I want to know about connection speeds in relation to IL2 online. I recently discovered that I could play LOMAC online because the required connection is at 28.8 Kbps. This is great because I have 56K dial-up (I know I should get high speed but other priorities prevent expenditures on it). My qusetion is: Is there a way to tell the connection speeds before joining a game so I know if I'll be alright while playing in the room? I use Hyperlobby and I got into a few games the other night no prob but then jumped into one and was told "ping is 1 of 3". I guess that means I was too slow and I got out so I wouldn't cause any problems. Sorry for the ignorant question but I generally play offline (for about 2 years now) and have never really looked into the online play part. I'll admit its alot more fun chasing people rather than AI. Any answers or suggestions would be great. Thanks

Stretch

From the little bit I know, the servers (on hyperlobby) that have the most "green lights" lit up are fast.

Having said that, ping is not just a function of connection speed. What is also very important (maybe more so) is how fast your computer/vid card/how much mem you have is.

A faster machine can process the data faster and might very well be more important than having high speed cons.

my work-in-progress 1/8th scale RC Corsair 1D:

Troll2k's Avatar Senior Member
    Hyperlobby sets the client speed to 14.4 by default(unless you have modified something).this is enough to fly.Packet loss is the problem.Line consistency(and packet consistency) is more important then the actual ping number.

You may also want check for spyware and adware thats slowing your ping down and making it slow. I use pestpatrol and spybot search and destroy and dropped my pings for 300+ to 250-300, which is not bad for my conecction speed(26.4). I also run only 768MB of memory and its still pretty stable.

"Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary force:
    You are about to embark upon a Great Crusade toward which we have strived these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking" - Gen. Dwight D. Eiseinhower-Supreme Allied Commander.

www.vultures-row.com