1. #11
    SeattleSauve's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Posts
    6,376
    Originally Posted by Danny-Ramone Go to original post
    Nothing beats instant gratification
    Sounds like it makes sense to pay more for it then I have only bought DLC via Steam sales for years, it's been so long since I've paid full price for any DLC. Steam Sales are your friend. If you're on another platform.. Hopefully they eventually have more sales *fingers crossed*.
     1 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  2. #12
    As someone who has purchased over 40% of the DLC, I NEED to purchase 10 out of 10 songs so that they an continue to release 10 out of 10 songs. Seriously though as others have said they do give away steam codes often. DLC on Steam is on sale like clock work at least twice a year sometimes more often.

    No company owes you free product or reduced price product for being "loyal".
     1 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  3. #13
    Originally Posted by Out_of_tune Go to original post
    As someone who has purchased over 40% of the DLC, I NEED to purchase 10 out of 10 songs so that they an continue to release 10 out of 10 songs. Seriously though as others have said they do give away steam codes often. DLC on Steam is on sale like clock work at least twice a year sometimes more often.

    No company owes you free product or reduced price product for being "loyal".
    As a gamer since 1979, I have this to say. NO OTHER COMPANY in my gaming lifetime has EVER offered this much support to a title in my 40 years of life. Bungie has come close, but even then, that is a far cry from what is offered for rocksmith. As a console owner, I am a little perturbed that we do not get the benefit of the songs being on sale (hint hint hint) however, I purchase only the titles I want or know and even then if it isn't out yet, I can wait until it eventually hits. Thank you Ubisoft and Rocksmith crew for your dedication and hard work on this title.
     1 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  4. #14
    DanAmrich's Avatar Rocksmith Dev Team
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Studio SF, California
    Posts
    3,611
    Originally Posted by DavidJenkin2013 Go to original post
    OK so we spend $3 for a song and I think 8.99 to 12.99 a pack, regardless songs are songs. You get a 5 Song Pack and 5 individual ones you get 10 songs. NOW I KNOW the guys at Rocksmith bust their asses getting licenses, jammin' and coding, BUT HOLD ON A SEC!!! WHY wouldn't you offer a free song of your choice after spending $30??????? If that's too much to ask then PLEASE help us out here. I am NOT a greedy person, but I do believe there should be some kind of award in any way to show us USERS that we get noticed for our time and money learning and satisfaction of the game we love. Great job on Re-mastering feels tighter and balanced, calibration's closest yet!!! Please consider how happy we DLC Lovers would be to get rewarded, even small like I said 1 out of 10 purchases can be free.
    Thanks for reading, hope I didn't cross the lines with anything said.
    No lines crossed, David! But honestly? The "buy X songs, get 1 free" model is not something we can do, because we need to pay for each of those licensed songs individually. We can sometimes work out special promotional things, like giving away the Hendrix DLC pack for free for a limited time. Plus, we can sometimes offer our original recordings (Bachsmith, RS Goes to the Movies) at a reduced price when we do not have to pay for either the master recording or the songwriting license (Bachsmith songs were all public domain, but the movie themes were not). But it still costs money -- even Bachsmith was created by renting a recording studio, time, and an engineer to make sure it was done professionally. So if music is not free to create on our side, it's rare that we are going to be able to give a song free to you.

    That's not the only reason, though. The logistics of this would require quite a fancy system, which we are not prepared to build. Say you buy 30 songs as an Xbox gamer. You bought those from Microsoft, not from Ubisoft. So on that level, it's actually Microsoft who has to grant you that free song, and we'd have to work with them to create some sort of system to verify that'a what happened. And then we'd have to build a program with Sony, and Apple, and Valve. And then we'd have to make sure it was available worldwide. And then what about the guitarists who play on multiple platforms -- if you get 2 songs on Xbox 360, then buy 4 on PS4, 1 on Steam and 3 on iOS, you just bought 10 songs...do you get one free, and if so, from whom? It seems like a nice frequency reward program in broad terms, but it's incredibly messy in practice.

    As it is, keeping support up (both technical and new content) for seven platforms really does keep us busy, and at no point do I want you to think that we don't appreciate any RS player who is interested enough in what we're offering to want to shell out for 30 songs. Remastered was the most recent manifestation of that -- we wanted players to feel they were getting more for their investment and we listened to the improvements and changes they wanted, plus we had some ideas of our own.

    We want you to feel like Rocksmith is rewarding to use in and of itself -- your skills are the reward! But we can't go giving out free music because it's not sustainable as a business model at this time, and also, we are not likely to divert resources to create a program to solve the complicated problems inherent to the kind of reward program you're thinking about.

    If we were a sandwich shop, a punch card for a free 11th sub might make sense -- but all we serve is music.
     4 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  5. #15
    DanAmrich's Avatar Rocksmith Dev Team
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Studio SF, California
    Posts
    3,611
    Originally Posted by DavidJenkin2013 Go to original post
    OK so we spend $3 for a song and I think 8.99 to 12.99 a pack, regardless songs are songs. You get a 5 Song Pack and 5 individual ones you get 10 songs. NOW I KNOW the guys at Rocksmith bust their asses getting licenses, jammin' and coding, BUT HOLD ON A SEC!!! WHY wouldn't you offer a free song of your choice after spending $30??????? If that's too much to ask then PLEASE help us out here. I am NOT a greedy person, but I do believe there should be some kind of award in any way to show us USERS that we get noticed for our time and money learning and satisfaction of the game we love. Great job on Re-mastering feels tighter and balanced, calibration's closest yet!!! Please consider how happy we DLC Lovers would be to get rewarded, even small like I said 1 out of 10 purchases can be free.
    Thanks for reading, hope I didn't cross the lines with anything said.
    No lines crossed, David! But honestly? The "buy X songs, get 1 free" model is not something we can do, because we need to pay for each of those licensed songs individually. We can sometimes work out special promotional things, like giving away the Hendrix DLC pack for free for a limited time. Plus, we can sometimes offer our original recordings (Bachsmith, RS Goes to the Movies) at a reduced price when we do not have to pay for either the master recording or the songwriting license (Bachsmith songs were all public domain, but the movie themes were not). But it still costs money -- even Bachsmith was created by renting a recording studio, time, and an engineer to make sure it was done professionally. So if music is not free to create on our side, it's rare that we are going to be able to give a song free to you.

    That's not the only reason, though. The logistics of this would require quite a fancy system, which we are not prepared to build. Say you buy 30 songs as an Xbox gamer. You bought those from Microsoft, not from Ubisoft. So on that level, it's actually Microsoft who has to grant you that free song, and we'd have to work with them to create some sort of system to verify that'a what happened. And then we'd have to build a program with Sony, and Apple, and Valve. And then we'd have to make sure it was available worldwide. And then what about the guitarists who play on multiple platforms -- if you get 2 songs on Xbox 360, then buy 4 on PS4, 1 on Steam and 3 on iOS, you just bought 10 songs...do you get one free, and if so, from whom? It seems like a nice frequency reward program in broad terms, but it's incredibly messy in practice.

    As it is, keeping support up (both technical and new content) for seven platforms really does keep us busy, and at no point do I want you to think that we don't appreciate any RS player who is interested enough in what we're offering to want to shell out for 30 songs. Remastered was the most recent manifestation of that -- we wanted players to feel they were getting more for their investment and we listened to the improvements and changes they wanted, plus we had some ideas of our own.

    We want you to feel like Rocksmith is rewarding to use in and of itself -- your skills are the reward! But we can't go giving out free music because it's not sustainable as a business model at this time, and also, we are not likely to divert resources to create a program to solve the complicated problems inherent to the kind of reward program you're thinking about.

    If we were a sandwich shop, a punch card for a free 11th sub might make sense -- but all we serve is music.
     4 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  6. #16
    demizach1's Avatar Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Seoul, Korea (Canadian Expat)
    Posts
    252
    Not sure what I'm doing right in the universe, but I just snagged a free DLC code for the '70s Mix II on Reddit earlier, and then I just found out I won Audrey and Kate's Youtube giveaway for Alabama Shakes. Can I win the Ernie Ball prize pack on this week's stream and complete the hat trick?
    Share this post

  7. #17
    bb_hood99's Avatar Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    148
    Thats the way I look at it... especially when the content is as good as it is.
    $3 per song aint bad at all.
    Share this post

  8. #18
    We've had threads on here about lessons.

    Each Friday they could offer a new lesson for 0.99 - warmup exercises, scales, nursery rhymes, whatever. Don't want, don't buy, but for those of us looking for more lessons on basic blues, reggae, scales, etc. it would be helpful.
     2 people found this helpful
    Share this post

  9. #19
    S T E A M S A L E is your friend. That is all.
    Share this post

  10. #20
    dm_gsxr's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nederland CO
    Posts
    3,160
    I buy all the DLC whether or not it's something I know or even like all that much. I'm not a fan of Pantera and after buying it, I find I'm not all that interested in playing it. I'm also not a fan of Rage Against The Machine but after buying it, I find I really really like playing Killing In The Name. Heck, it's in our setlist for the group (along with Walk This Way, Breaking The Law, Back in Black, and Holiday).

    But I also get it all because I want to support the product. If I could buy the DLC directly from Ubisoft and bypass Steam, I would.

    Carl
    Share this post

  11. #21
    pedietz's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,415
    Originally Posted by dm_gsxr Go to original post
    I buy all the DLC whether or not it's something I know or even like all that much. I'm not a fan of Pantera and after buying it, I find I'm not all that interested in playing it.
    I actually went thru this week and counted the number of songs with zero counts. I have 185 of them. Eeeeek!
    Share this post