Black_Widow9's Avatar Community Representative

R6 Community Discusses: Buck

This edition of "R6 Community Discusses" will focus on the operator BUCK. This series has been added to the R6 forums to facilitate discussions in the community involving operator use, gadgets and strategy that often get buried or lost in the abundance of others posts that flood the forums.

The goal of this series is to not only give new players a primer on a specific operator or map, but also for mid-level or competitive players a chance to share the knowledge that they have accrued in their experiences and maybe let people know something that they did not know before.

So let's discuss Buck:

Link to Buck Operator Information HERE
    Buck Wiki

Below are some discussion points we would like to see from community members that decide to respond. Feel free to discuss other information that may be helpful to the community about this operator. Posts that do not contribute to the healthy discussion of this thread will be removed.

1) In your opinion, what is this operatorís primary or ideal role in the team?
    2) The operatorís gadget and how it will help the team achieve its goals. Please share any tidbits you may know to help expand discussion.
    3) The operatorís loadout, and how best to optimize it. This includes primaries, secondaries, and secondary gadgets.
    4) What maps and game modes does this operator do well on?
    5) What maps and game modes does this operator struggle on?
    6) What other operators synergize well with this operator being on their team?
    7) What opposing operators check or counter this operator?
    8) What strategies have you adopted while playing this operator and why?
    9) What is something that a new player should know when playing this operator, or what is something you know that would help a veteran player take that next step?
    10) What is your overall opinion of this operator? Where would you rank them among the other operators?
    11.) What change, if any, would you make to this operator for better balance in the game?

+Any videos showcasing strategies or highlights are welcome!

Thanks in advance to all who share!

Links to our past discussions can be found here:
    http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...ses-All-Topics

Insevin's Avatar Senior Member
    1) In your opinion, what is this operatorís primary or ideal role in the team?
    Buck is best used to push the offensive and offer destruction to the ATK team

2) The operatorís gadget and how it will help the team achieve its goals. Please share any tidbits you may know to help expand discussion.
    The skeleton key is great for an improvised shotgun or to tear apart massive holes in walls and floors for line of sight and passage through

3) The operatorís loadout, and how best to optimize it. This includes primaries, secondaries, and secondary gadgets.
    As one of the few operators with frags, they are a vital and versatile choice. I tend to run the C8 with holographic sights, but if I do equip my CAMRS its with ACOG. The pistol is also amongst the best in the game.

All

None, would complain about Yacht not having partially destructible floors

All

Pulse, Caviera

I play aggressively and open up sight through ceilings or floors, as well as walls. Leaving the DEF exposed to vulnerable angles from my team places them in a tough spot.

9) What is something that a new player should know when playing this operator, or what is something you know that would help a veteran player take that next step?
    Buck is highly flexible and has good weapons and frags. You're not forced into only one type of role when playing Buck.

10) What is your overall opinion of this operator? Where would you rank them among the other operators?
    Favorite after Hibana

I honestly don't remember writing this, as Hibana is not my favorite operator. For DLC operators, yes. Overall, I like Twitch and Fuze the most with Buck perhaps being third.

11.) What change, if any, would you make to this operator for better balance in the game?
    N/A
     2 people found this helpful

Buck's assault rifle is the worst weapon in the game.
    It has an insane amount of recoil - 100 TIMES more than any other assault rifle in the game.

Please greatly reduce the recoil on bucks assault rifle.
    It makes no sense for it to be that screwed up.

Yea it is possible to get used to that idiotic recoil but again it makes no sense for it to have such a recoil in the first place.
    In real life that gun has low recoil and is easy to control - and in the game it has average stats, nothing special or deserving of having such an awful recoil.

For the purposes of balance and logic, the C8 needs to be tweaked so as it has less recoil, maybe by reducing its damage and decreasing recoil. The reason why the weapon makes no logical sense is it's an AR15 and they are designed around usability so they don't have much recoil at all compared to other ARs. Bucks C8 is not fitting to the high recoil high damage type of weapon that it is currently.

Apart from the C8 buck is a really well-rounded operator, a gold standard in usefulness in the meta of R6.
     1 people found this helpful

I don't have much time so I only want to leave this here:

I too would like to see a rework of the recoil on the c8, leave the vertical recoil as it is but the horizontal recoil should see a reduction of around 25-40%.

Please.

Overall hes a fun and usefull operstor.

i was waiting for this one..just the only thing that operator needs is reducing recoil on C8-SFW..put angled grip or reduce the recoil with anyway you have..i like buck but i don''t play him because of his gun's recoil..

Insevin's Avatar Senior Member
    His recoil makes for easy headshots, I don't have a problem since they patched it. On release it was awful, his DMR was definitely the better option.

Zoro's Avatar Community Representative
    Thanks for the feedback so far everyone, Insevin especially for the full prompt responses!

Interesting to see how quickly we had this many mentions of the C8's recoil, hoping to see more opinions on this.

1) In your opinion, what is this operator’s primary or ideal role in the team?
    - Buck's primary role is that of a breacher, he's the first one to the door, and the first one to step back and shoot in because of his big rifles.

2) The operator’s gadget and how it will help the team achieve its goals. Please share any tidbits you may know to help expand discussion
    - The skeleton masterkey is brutally efficient as a breaching tool. When I was looking for an attacker to get good with, I thought about shotguns, and how they were useful breaching tools, I didn't care about using it as a weapon so I never played with a shotgun. That's where Buck comes in. His useful combination of a long range rifle and close range shotgun is a deadly combo in the right hands.

3) The operator’s loadout, and how best to optimize it. This includes primaries, secondaries, and secondary gadgets.
    - My personal favorite is the C8-SFW with an ACOG and a Muzzle Brake. Pistol with a suppressor (I don't use pistols that often, it's nice to take down a camera quietly.) As well as the frag grenades. I know the ACOG may seem like a strange or even downright stupid choice, but it works for me, so results may vary.

- This operator exceeds on maps which have a lot of destrucitble walls. Maps like Border, Consulate, Kafe Dostoyeksy, with Favela being a middle tier map but leaning towards good. Buck does best on Bomb and Secure Area.

- Buck struggles in maps that contain a lot of close quarters engagements, his rifles become clumsy, and his shotgun doesn't have the ammo to use as a breaching tool and a killing tool. Buck can struggle on Hostage simply because you have to be more careful with the shotguns and frags, leading to sub-optimal playing.

- Other operators that synergize well with Buck are Glaz, Montagne, Blackbeard and Hibana. Glaz works well because you can break a wall and people won't be scared to peek, giving Glaz the easy pick. Montagne (or any shield once the update rolls out for me) works well because his big rifle has the stopping power to put someone down while the shield holds all the attention.

- Pulse is a very nice check to a lot of operators, including Buck. For me, trappers (Kapkan and Frost) are big problems for me as I use an ACOG and try to aim for head level, I don't always see the traps. Jager and other fast movers are problems for Buck as well with the ACOG, though that isn't Buck's fault so much as it is the ACOG's.

- Try not to be last. With no teammates, you have to push the objective by yourself with a weapon that doesn't play well in close combat and a shotgun with most of the ammo in the surrounding walls.

- Get a lot of practice with the weapon. Once you get the recoil management down, you find the right spot where the recoil will snap the reticle right to the head for you. And even when it doesn't, the stopping power is there to put them down anyway.

- Versus the other attackers, I would put him in 1st in a general setting. Some maps and objectives he's more or less useful, but in general, Buck is my go-to. Versus the ATK and DEF, I'd put him in a narrow 2nd. Jager is still a little better because his weapon can keep up and he's faster.

- I'd lower the recoil a little bit on the C8-SFW. One of my favorite things about Buck is how rare people play him, which means he's open for business quite often. Having a high recoil weapon means nobody wants to play him. So I'd lower it a little bit as it is VERY high, but not so much that he loses some of his identity.

Sorry for not giving full opinion, but I have one about the C8's recoil. I love Buck and how he plays, but I'm often off put by the recoil of the rifle. Because of the you can't use acog that well or the sights will just skyrocket over the target if you have to dump a full mag or even a long burst. This game is all about headshots and acogs and this rifle's not cut for it right now.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►