Originally Posted by CulturalLemur Go to original post
    As of right now I have only one suggestion/idea - don't include a minimap. By doing this devs with encourage the players to keep their eyes focused on everything around them instead of that one thing in a corner of the screen. I've been playing some Witcher 3 with minimap disabled lately and lemme tell you, it improves the experience A LOT overall.
    I partly agree because the first game worked perfectly without a mini-map, you instead relied on your actual map or first person compass to get around. You had to figure out where to go based on what people ask you to do, rather than some sort of 'quest' system, making the game feel way more immersive.

HOWEVER, that games levels were crafted so beautifully that you knew where you were no matter the place, everywhere looked unique enough that you could pin point your exact location within the world, and your journeys to and from these places (mostly by hovercraft), was created in such a way that certain places might be blocked off naturally at certain points in the game, informing the player that they have to come to those areas later. The world was big enough to feel immersed in, but also small enough that it could be hand crafted with intense care.

BGE2 however, seems to want to go the route of sprawling cities and chaotic environments, where your probably could get easily lost. Now that sounds cool in of it's own merits, getting lost in this massive dystopian city, but it could be frustrating for the player, if they had no constant indication of where to go. I would personally sort of like no indication myself, as it would be more reminiscent of the first game, and it sounds fun getting lost in these worlds, however for the sake of the more casual player, I believe mini maps will end up being a thing in BGE2.

CulturalLemur's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by IRISNetwork Go to original post
    I partly agree because the first game worked perfectly without a mini-map, you instead relied on your actual map or first person compass to get around. You had to figure out where to go based on what people ask you to do, rather than some sort of 'quest' system, making the game feel way more immersive.

HOWEVER, that games levels were crafted so beautifully that you knew where you were no matter the place, everywhere looked unique enough that you could pin point your exact location within the world, and your journeys to and from these places (mostly by hovercraft), was created in such a way that certain places might be blocked off naturally at certain points in the game, informing the player that they have to come to those areas later. The world was big enough to feel immersed in, but also small enough that it could be hand crafted with intense care.

BGE2 however, seems to want to go the route of sprawling cities and chaotic environments, where your probably could get easily lost. Now that sounds cool in of it's own merits, getting lost in this massive dystopian city, but it could be frustrating for the player, if they had no constant indication of where to go. I would personally sort of like no indication myself, as it would be more reminiscent of the first game, and it sounds fun getting lost in these worlds, however for the sake of the more casual player, I believe mini maps will end up being a thing in BGE2.
    Very good points, but I recall one of the BG&E2 devs saying that they WANT the player to get lost xD

SuperBiscotCOT's Avatar Senior Member
    They could do what Ubi Paris did for Ghost Recon wildlands.
    Whenever you want you can disable the whole HUD and continue to play, the game have been designed for this option too.

All the dialogs, interractions, signs ... can be understand without any mini map. Because it's designed for it.

However like IRISNetwork said, we may found lost in BGE2's world without a mini map at some point.
    We are not at a scale of Bolivia but at the scale of a Universe, a chaotic universe.

BGE had a small and very easy to understand environment, that won't be the case for BGE2 due to his scale.
    However we need to understand where are quests without the little dots on the mini-map (like The Witcher 3 have) if you don't want people to be focused on it.

They are also other options like having a displayed mini-map only in vehicles. From the tuc-tuc to the vessel. But not when going on foot.
    But it has other inconvinients and answer not entirely to the problem.

Originally Posted by CulturalLemur Go to original post
    As of right now I have only one suggestion/idea - don't include a minimap. By doing this devs with encourage the players to keep their eyes focused on everything around them instead of that one thing in a corner of the screen. I've been playing some Witcher 3 with minimap disabled lately and lemme tell you, it improves the experience A LOT overall.
    I would half agreed with you because we talk about a solar system so we would needs indications in some way, when you control a ship i guess a map is required

What could be interested is to have a map with the main points, and some planets wouldn't be on this map. Then we could discover planets which would appear on this map

So a mix between a map and the discovery of new places that we could add with the researsh of these CD's that we saw in the trailer
     1 people found this helpful

Let's keep it zen

Hi all!

I read almost each post of these Space Monkeys topics and I approve most of your ideas and the improvements you propose. Although I'd like all of you to rewind and remember what in BGE gave you so much pleasure, good feelings, interest and emotions. I even advise you to replay it now (was free in HD edition on Xbox Live Gold a few months ago) and witness how the magic still works. I'm not beeing fully objective here (finished the game 5 times already) and most of you won't be neither, but my point is: BGE took us all by our hearts. Not because we are hardcore gamers, not because it was technically advanced, not for its lifespan, not for its complexity, social features or customization tools...
    In the way I see it, BGE 2 must NOT follow any other AAA game. It must not become an Assassin's Creed, or a Deus Ex, or a Horizon... GTA or whatever. We certainly all love these games, but did they give us anything close to what BGE did, with their choices and factions and multiplayer MMO and karma ?
    Let me take some ideas as examples:
    • Main character's customization/race selection: you know how the affection you had for Jade was strongly attached to her features, the way she moved, her voice, her tone, her colours, and the way she interacted with other characters. Could BGE2 be as good with a character you built from hundred possible options? Maybe. How? With a tremendous amount of work that would most surely cause a loss on another part of the game...
    • MMO features/cooperation: I really don't want to see this in BGE2. Or at least I don't want to be forced to play along with other people. Do you really wish to see other people meddle with your BGE experience??? Do you picture yourself, enjoying a moment of contemplation, and then a guy with a dumb nickname over his head is jumping around you... Seriously?! Hell no. I love playing online with FPS and such. Maybe it's just me, but my BGE experience is MINE!
    • Factions/karma: I loved the way those components were managed in the latest Deus Ex or in other RPGs. But I fear it would just add too much complexity to the story-telling and to the identity Michel and his team could inject to the characters. Same arguments than character customization.
    • Huge open world / more secondary quests: BGE had this perfect ratio of exploration, action and contemplation moments. Don't you think? I'm all for a larger world if it keeps at least as good a pace. If I may take GTA V as an example of large open world with numerous secondary quests, I often felt taken away from the core story because of this overwhelming scale. Its breaking the rythm of the game. I think it could damage BGE2's experience to play it in such a scale.

Thank you for reading me.
    I just hope this BGE2 will be as mastered as the first was in every way. Even more. I don't want it to show off, like most of the AAA licenses are doing (bigger maps, better graphics, 4K native...). BGE is not the place for that. It's the place for inspiration, art, emotions, stories and immersion. Let's keep it Zen!
     8 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by SuperBiscotCOT Go to original post
    They could do what Ubi Paris did for Ghost Recon wildlands.
    They are also other options like having a displayed mini-map only in vehicles. From the tuc-tuc to the vessel. But not when going on foot.
    But it has other inconvinients and answer not entirely to the problem.
    Stuff like this I love, it makes sense within the context of the world and is more interesting as a gameplay mechanic, making me feel more immersed. I think you should be able to bring up your whole map when on-foot by using your S.A.C, because its not realistic that the character would be staring at it the whole time, in the form of a mini map, but vehicles have them built in like sat-nav.

That way, you can still provide the experience of being lost within the areas you travel around on foot, but you would still be in a small enough immediate area to find the things you are looking for through clues in the environment, but moving on to another area is easy enough as you will have the mini-map to guide you when in a vehicle, and then you can get 'lost' in a completely new part of the city!

Hopefully it works out this way

Originally Posted by Kingy77 Go to original post
    Hi all!

I read almost each post of these Space Monkeys topics and I approve most of your ideas and the improvements you propose. Although I'd like all of you to rewind and remember what in BGE gave you so much pleasure, good feelings, interest and emotions. I even advise you to replay it now (was free in HD edition on Xbox Live Gold a few months ago) and witness how the magic still works. I'm not beeing fully objective here (finished the game 5 times already) and most of you won't be neither, but my point is: BGE took us all by our hearts. Not because we are hardcore gamers, not because it was technically advanced, not for its lifespan, not for its complexity, social features or customization tools...
    In the way I see it, BGE 2 must NOT follow any other AAA game. It must not become an Assassin's Creed, or a Deus Ex, or a Horizon... GTA or whatever. We certainly all love these games, but did they give us anything close to what BGE did, with their choices and factions and multiplayer MMO and karma ?
    Let me take some ideas as examples:
    • Main character's customization/race selection: you know how the affection you had for Jade was strongly attached to her features, the way she moved, her voice, her tone, her colours, and the way she interacted with other characters. Could BGE2 be as good with a character you built from hundred possible options? Maybe. How? With a tremendous amount of work that would most surely cause a loss on another part of the game...
    • MMO features/cooperation: I really don't want to see this in BGE2. Or at least I don't want to be forced to play along with other people. Do you really wish to see other people meddle with your BGE experience??? Do you picture yourself, enjoying a moment of contemplation, and then a guy with a dumb nickname over his head is jumping around you... Seriously?! Hell no. I love playing online with FPS and such. Maybe it's just me, but my BGE experience is MINE!
    • Factions/karma: I loved the way those components were managed in the latest Deus Ex or in other RPGs. But I fear it would just add too much complexity to the story-telling and to the identity Michel and his team could inject to the characters. Same arguments than character customization.
    • Huge open world / more secondary quests: BGE had this perfect ratio of exploration, action and contemplation moments. Don't you think? I'm all for a larger world if it keeps at least as good a pace. If I may take GTA V as an example of large open world with numerous secondary quests, I often felt taken away from the core story because of this overwhelming scale. Its breaking the rythm of the game. I think it could damage BGE2's experience to play it in such a scale.

Thank you for reading me.
    I just hope this BGE2 will be as mastered as the first was in every way. Even more. I don't want it to show off, like most of the AAA licenses are doing (bigger maps, better graphics, 4K native...). BGE is not the place for that. It's the place for inspiration, art, emotions, stories and immersion. Let's keep it Zen!
    Completely agree and I think you'll find not one of use are totally onboard with the way the game seems to be taking an online, modern turn.

I think we on board however, with a version of that game that also respects and is reminiscent of the original.

So yeah, the game is open world, but whose to say it can't just be a way advanced version of the level design of the classic? I think that's what we are all hoping for.

Yes the character customisation is worrying, but if the avatar still remains grounded and motivated by their own personalities then I think it could work out well as a game where you as the player are actually just being a part of much more important events and characters going on around you in this world.

Nobody wants this to become an MMO, but hopefully its more of a case of being able to co-op certain missions and objectives and mini-games (hovercraft racing!) if you so wish, rather than other players being able to jump into your game and ruin your immersion whenever they want.

I agree, I could do without the factions and karma being in BGE, I still want whatever character we play to have the same motivations and story, even if all our experiences and approaches differ slightly.

And lastly yeah, again, BGE was a perfect ratio of all those elements, and hopefully BGE2 just takes on a more advanced version of that design philosophy.

Great points, and welcome to the forums!

[QUOTE=Kingy77;12715858]Hi all!

" BGE experience is MINE! "

I think it's gonna be the philosophy of this game

I think the idea to create your character at the beginning is a part of that, i believe, that the narration will be made in a way that you feel empathy for him/her.
     1 people found this helpful

SuperBiscotCOT's Avatar Senior Member
    For the map they could go with a system similar to what we saw in early concepts of The Division.

The S.A.C. would display it but it would only give global street, letting you explore and discover mysteries, inhabitants and trafics of smaller isolated areas of the planet and smaller streets of cities.

This Game is going to make a big difference.

Originally Posted by Flowpiece Go to original post
    Hi evryone !

Let's give your imagination to inspire the team on this ambitious game which is BGE2 :

Go through your mind, from new concepts to little feature

Like Michel Ancel said, we are all welcome to participate !

Let's start

I would love to see in this game a karma rate, i understood that the spirituality will be an important part of the background, it would be awesome if our actions could influence our reputation, we could be the most horrible pirate, participating to the slavery trades, or pirates fighting for the hybrids rights.

for example a planet would be like in south USA in 1800 and we would try to kill the traders and chiefs of these places to help people to get back their freedom

it could be a good idea to chose our religion, differents religions giving you differents features

a wanted system, if you have a bad karma, you make a lot of money, but the space police would be looking for you, you could be one them looking for criminals.
    in this system, the wanted signal could give details about this criminal where he could be located, a picture of his ship, his race...

I would love to develop this idea but let's give place to yours

Please do not make it like other games of Ubisoft, which were mostly focused on repeated mechanism of game and techniques for making a bigger open world. Beyond good and Evil 1 changed My Insight to Entertainment. I want to see Originality of Storytelling and Variety of gameplay mechanism inside Beyond Good & Evil 1 inside this one. Beyond Good and Evil 1 is the best game I ever played I want the second one to be better to be a game changer. I'm tired of seeing games out of creativity and originality.
    Also, I'm a Digital Artist in Iran looking for a good Group to work on video games. I care about the originality of Ideas myself to design a vehicle prefer to make the story and from that story bring out a vehicle not to just take every detail I like in references. I would be pleased to work on such project It's almost impossible with the current situation for the artists in Iran to work properly, I'm looking for your consideration. azad.3ds@gmail.com

Originally Posted by SuperBiscotCOT Go to original post
    For the map they could go with a system similar to what we saw in early concepts of The Division.

The S.A.C. would display it but it would only give global street, letting you explore and discover mysteries, inhabitants and trafics of smaller isolated areas of the planet and smaller streets of cities.
    I don't think it will add up to the tone of the BG&E2 this kind of minimap, As the previous one worked with the compass i think the best would be an improved compass, where it show you where the near store, things are, and a minimap working in the menú or perhaps an ebook working as a map, i think that would suit up better than a division type map