Black_Widow9's Avatar Community Representative

R6 Community Discusses: Coastline

This week's discussion will focus on the map Coastline. This series has been added to the R6 forums to facilitate discussions among the community involving map tips and strategy that often get buried or lost in the abundance of others posts that flood the forums.

The goal of this series is to not only give new players a primer on a specific map, but also for mid-level or competitive players a chance to share the knowledge that they have accrued in their experiences and maybe let people know something that they did not know before.

For this edition, we will discuss the map, Coastline!

Link to Coastline Info HERE
    Coastline WIKI
    Rainbow Six Complete Guide

Below are some discussion points we would like to see from community members that decide to respond. Feel free to discuss other information that may be helpful to the community about this map. Posts that do not contribute to the healthy discussion of this thread will be removed.

1) In your opinion, what is the best area of the map for defenders/attackers?
    2) Which Operators shine on this map? Which operators have you struggled with here?
    3) The camera placement, how well is the map covered by defender cameras?
    4) Objective placements, which is your favorite location? Least favorite?
    5) Which game modes do you prefer on this map?
    6) Spawn locations. yay or nay on the current locations?
    7) Has this map made you play the game differently?
    8) Map layout, what do you think of the design of this map?
    9) What is something that a new player should know when playing this map?
    10) What is your overall opinion of this map? Where would you rank it among the other maps in the game?

Link to last week's discussion on Smoke: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...iscusses-Smoke

Insevin's Avatar Senior Member
    DEF - Upstairs objectives are best
    ATK - Blue Bar isn't too difficult to attack and kitchen can be easy if the DEF don't prepare well. For insertion, getting to the roof can be useful.

2) Which Operators shine on this map? Which operators have you struggled with here?
    Well balanced for all ops. Not the best hiding spots for Echo to use his drone I suppose

Front Entrance/Lobby near the reception desk is useless. I'd say relocate that camera within the same room but on the other side of the wall from the bathroom stalls off the kitchen/storage room. (SEE PHOTO)

I dislike Blue Bar as it feels the most vulnerable and is difficult to return to from roaming

Bomb/Secure

Yay, but I feel Poolside is most vulnerable to spawnkilling such as from hookah lounge window

Yes and no. Its unique in the vulnerability of the center courtyard being an outdoorsy area but it doesn't truly shake the game's meta.

Unique, as stated in #7. The tower should be accessible, if only by ladder that is exposed to the defenders.

Be aware of the center courtyard/roof. Know the hiding spots in the penthouse wardrobe and the blue bar's bar.

10) What is your overall opinion of this map? Where would you rank it among the other maps in the game?
    Comes up too often in rotation. Have it turned off in settings. Its a good map, average among others.

3) i think you guys should take a look on camaras inside again. I think some could do better on the other side of a room.

Insevin's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by dmnq1992 Go to original post
    3) i think you guys should take a look on camaras inside again. I think some could do better on the other side of a room.
    Couldn't agree more. That goes for more than just the camera I posted above, although I think its the most useless one.
     1 people found this helpful

Depending on the gamemode, defending bomb in kitchen is my favourite, secure would have to be kitchen as well and hostage the room next to the main bedroom (theatre?)
    Attacking wise I would have to say bomb in sunrise bar, secure in main bedroom and hostage in kitchen.

All attacking ops seem to be viable on this map but the optimal squad IMO would be Blackbeard, Jackal, Hibana/Thermite, Twitch and glaz or fuze. Defence wise I find that Mira is only decent on Bomb in Kitchen, every other op seems to be ok. Smoke, Mute, Jager, Valkyrie and Doc or Rook works well on almost every objective.

One of the better maps camera wise, also a lot of nice outside valk spots

Defending kitchen is my favourite as I sit in master bedroom and throw C4 out the window. Also attacking that room is great fun, Blackbeard or Glaz out on the building with the AC units is awesome. I despise defending blue bar and the Master bedroom.

Not too keen on hostage on any map and this applies here as well.

The main ruins spawn is often spawn peeked so inexperienced players often get picked off but there's plenty of angles to peek them safely.

Not really, it's a nice addition and that's it.

Very nicely designed, on par with consulate for the best designed map.

Watch for spawn peekers from above blue bar when spawning at ruins. Never repel into the courtyard.

Whenever this map comes up I'm excited to play it, even if it is hostage. Definitely a top 3 pick.

Zoro's Avatar Community Representative
    Thanks for the feedback guys! And thanks to Black_Widow9 for posting in my absence!

This is the first time we've had strong suggestions for camera changes, do you guys have any ideas for where you'd like the new cameras? (Thank you Insevin for your example!)

WBBCoop's Avatar Senior Member
    Welcome back man!

What a kicker..this is the only map where I really have no clue as to what where when or why. I would like to stipulate that the only reason for this is that I play this map without trying to retain anything, unlike the other maps where I would fire up a custom match and solo the thing until I felt fairly used to it. I wanted to prolong the 'fresh feeling' as long as I possibly could and so far the only thing I can say for sure is that this is a Real Good map for the Monty+Sledge combo. There are very few times to where you need to be aware of vertical play..so Bob's your uncle.

I would like to piggy back an idea on question #3. Ideally, the cam locations should be chosen by the Captain out of a much greater selection of locations. I honestly think that the cams on most maps are terrible to a crew that knows where to shoot from the exterior of the building. I don't know how vulnerable Coastlines cams are (for the reasons above)..but the general utilization of them could be expanded in some way.

This could not have been a better time for this map came up in discussion. It's now out of the way, I'm extremely busy and tv in shop..but I look forward to the next one!

PS: The map reminds me of a very large and exotic merry-go-round. Kinda fun when I roam with Bandit..round and round until I run into someone..then pull out the shot gun.

Originally Posted by WBBCoop Go to original post
    Welcome back man!

What a kicker..this is the only map where I really have no clue as to what where when or why. I would like to stipulate that the only reason for this is that I play this map without trying to retain anything, unlike the other maps where I would fire up a custom match and solo the thing until I felt fairly used to it. I wanted to prolong the 'fresh feeling' as long as I possibly could and so far the only thing I can say for sure is that this is a Real Good map for the Monty+Sledge combo. There are very few times to where you need to be aware of vertical play..so Bob's your uncle.

I would like to piggy back an idea on question #3. Ideally, the cam locations should be chosen by the Captain out of a much greater selection of locations. I honestly think that the cams on most maps are terrible to a crew that knows where to shoot from the exterior of the building. I don't know how vulnerable Coastlines cams are (for the reasons above)..but the general utilization of them could be expanded in some way.

This could not have been a better time for this map came up in discussion. It's now out of the way, I'm extremely busy and tv in shop..but I look forward to the next one!

PS: The map reminds me of a very large and exotic merry-go-round. Kinda fun when I roam with Bandit..round and round until I run into someone..then pull out the shot gun.
    It's funny that you feel that way about Coastline - I have tried to play it similarly, enjoying the freshness and not trying to get too locked in on any single, repeated tactic. It makes the times I do get this map more exciting and suspenseful.

For your camera suggestion, are you saying that part of the prep-phase/op-selection phase, would include a camera selection where the "captain" picks the camera placements for that round?

I like your merry-go-round analogy, not too far off.

WBBCoop's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Ubi-Zoro Go to original post
    For your camera suggestion, are you saying that part of the prep-phase/op-selection phase, would include a camera selection where the "captain" picks the camera placements for that round?
    Yes, but more specifically its locked into where the captain sets it..and yes, the prep phase is where cam adjustments would be made.

I forgot to mention how much I enjoy the map overall. It is very well thought out and additional things like the pool music gives me a favelas fireworks type vibe, but adjusted to the location. I applaud the map devs on these stand out features that are sometimes overlooked by the occasional fierce intensity of competition

Originally Posted by WBBCoop Go to original post
    Yes, but more specifically its locked into where the captain sets it..and yes, the prep phase is where cam adjustments would be made.

I forgot to mention how much I enjoy the map overall. It is very well thought out and additional things like the pool music gives me a favelas fireworks type vibe, but adjusted to the location. I applaud the map devs on these stand out features that are sometimes overlooked by the occasional fierce intensity of competition
    The praise is appreciated! The team puts in a ton of time on these maps, so it's great to hear that these nuances are noticed and appreciated!