Stugwi's Avatar Junior Member
    posted 05-09-04 14:54
    Hi community,
    I buy IL-2 forgotten battles in the next few days. A couple of Questions:
    Is it recomende that i buy a joystick? - i used to play flight sims a few year back and always used the keyboard.
    I have radeon 9800 pro and Athlon 2.8 and cable - will that be OK?
    What expansion packs does any1 recomend?
    Any advice for a noob pilot appreciated

Stugwi's Avatar Junior Member
    posted 05-09-04 14:54
    Hi community,
    I buy IL-2 forgotten battles in the next few days. A couple of Questions:
    Is it recomende that i buy a joystick? - i used to play flight sims a few year back and always used the keyboard.
    I have radeon 9800 pro and Athlon 2.8 and cable - will that be OK?
    What expansion packs does any1 recomend?
    Any advice for a noob pilot appreciated

Yes, do get a Joystick, a simple one at first....
    And once you get to like it, and the stick waers out, go find a really good one... and some rudder pedals as well.

The game?
    Start reading the manual, start flying, just explore.... make a list questions you have (a lot will be answered by exploring the game), search and read the forums....

Expansion packs? Well, I guess the usual fixes should do, apply them only if you need to... to fix a problem or issue.
    Explore the original, later when you get an expansion you will appreciate it more than when you get it right away. (The original Il-2 or FB are rather 'complete', but after some (a lot?) of gaming hours, you may want something new.
    But, before buying expansions, check out the missions other people made, like the ones on http://www.netwings.org/library/

Your hardware looks okay to me (maybe not for the highest resolutions together with the highest details....)

Have fun!

Hi, dude. I suggest you buy the Gold Edition that comes with the Ace Expansion Pack.

You should definitely get a joystick. Which is best is certainly debatable and comes down to the size of your hands and personal preference. You should be able to find plenty of threads here with joystick opinions.

"Thanks for the inspiration to rise above you all."

GAU-8's Avatar Senior Member
    hi STUGWI,

cable is fine, 9800 card is fine, and your processor is fine.

first off. what is your RAM? that will make a big difference. you can play decently with 512 meg, but mostly 1 gig is recommended. but yes its playable even if you happen to have only 256.

get a joystick!.. absolutely the first thing you should do for the game itself. many will recommend what type, personally i dont care what you get... but get one with as MANY buttons as you can. if you cant afford rudder pedals, then i suggest either a twist stick, or an a stick that has a rocker switch to simulate rudderin' around. but,almost any stick is good for now, just to get your feet wet though.

you will have to buy il2 sturmovik "FORGOTTEN BATTLES" ACE expansion pack.. after that. come back to this site after you load it up, and download the latest patch. thats it. now you talk about cable, so that MUST me you plan on flyin online. i recommend using HYPERLOBBY to go play at, but UBI,and ALL SEEING EYE are good places to start. i only offer basic information, any other questions you have, we got a great host of members here to help you out.
    see ya out there, have fun.

:nudges bearcat.....:

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member
    Get a decent stick. Dont waste your money getting a chepo one.. make sure it has a rudder. The Saiteks are good.. the X45 is the best all around stick you can get for the price. Your processor VPU and CPU look good. !G RAM is the sweet spot. Practice. Look in my sig for the Sturmovik Essentials link and click it take off from there.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> [/list]<UL TYPE=SQUARE>vflyer@comcast.net[/list]<UL TYPE=SQUARE>99thPursuit Squadron IL2 Forgotten Battles[/list]
    Sturmovik Essentials
    IMMERSION BABY!!

Buy the FB Gold pack. This way you will also have Aces Expantion Pack.

Once you have installled FB and AEP, you'r game version will be 2.0.

Then come here and down load 2.01, it's 102mb, and then download 2.04.

There is no 2.02 or 2.03.

Capt. 361stMapleTiger.

Proud member of the FBAA and Nutty Philosohpy Club.
    -----------------------------
    The more less you'r travelling, the further back in time you go.

I am hear,
    but not quite there.
    I am near,
    Come if you dare.

Buy the gold pack so u get the Ace expansion pack.
    Yes you can use the keyboard. I did that but will kill the gameplay as some planes are difficult to control with keyboard.
    So i recommend to buy a joystick a good one if you don'y want to buy twice .

"And if we are able thus to attack an inferior force with a superior one, our opponents will be in dire straits" Sun Tzu

WTE_Galway's Avatar Senior Member
    keyboard is ok for sightseeing and very basic dogfights but you will really be at a disadvantage for accurate shooting, spin recovery and anything fantasy in the way of evasion

if you are not buying pedals as well get a stick with a twist rudder