Zoro's Avatar Community Representative

R6 Community Discusses : Smoke

This edition of "R6 Community Discusses" will focus on the operator SMOKE. This series has been added to the R6 forums to facilitate discussions in the community involving operator use, gadgets and strategy that often get buried or lost in the abundance of others posts that flood the forums.

The goal of this series is to not only give new players a primer on a specific operator or map, but also for mid-level or competitive players a chance to share the knowledge that they have accrued in their experiences and maybe let people know something that they did not know before.

So let's discuss Smoke:

Link to Smoke Operator Information HERE
    Smoke Wiki

Below are some discussion points we would like to see from community members that decide to respond. Feel free to discuss other information that may be helpful to the community about this operator. Posts that do not contribute to the healthy discussion of this thread will be removed.

1) In your opinion, what is this operator’s primary or ideal role in the team?
    2) The operator’s gadget and how it will help the team achieve its goals. Please share any tidbits you may know to help expand discussion.
    3) The operator’s loadout, and how best to optimize it. This includes primaries, secondaries, and secondary gadgets.
    4) What maps and game modes does this operator do well on?
    5) What maps and game modes does this operator struggle on?
    6) What other operators synergize well with this operator being on their team?
    7) What opposing operators check or counter this operator?
    8) What strategies have you adopted while playing this operator and why?
    9) What is something that a new player should know when playing this operator, or what is something you know that would help a veteran player take that next step?
    10) What is your overall opinion of this operator? Where would you rank them among the other operators?
    11.) What change, if any, would you make to this operator for better balance in the game?

+Any videos showcasing strategies or highlights are welcome!

Thanks in advance to all who share!

Links to our past discussions can be found here:
    http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...ses-All-Topics

Insevin's Avatar Senior Member
    SMOKE

Entry denial. He is also a decent roamer.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2) The operator’s gadget and how it will help the team achieve its goals. Please share any tidbits you may know to help expand discussion.
    Smoke can potentially close down areas with his smoke, preventing enemies from entering. It is also the best way to shut down shield operators that are too much to handle.
    3) The operator’s loadout, and how best to optimize it. This includes primaries, secondaries, and secondary gadgets.
    My optimal loadout is impact grenades and a his shotgun to punch kill holes and escape exits. For further off combat, his SMG11/reflex is more than capable. If the shotgun will be of limited use/little CQB, I use the FMG9/reflex.
    Any maps, secure and hostage are best as there are fewer lanes of entry to cover.
    None really
    Barb wire, Kapkan, Frost
    Glaz
    Deny enemy entry. Flank and use kill holes. Usually more defensive.
    9) What is something that a new player should know when playing this operator, or what is something you know that would help a veteran player take that next step?
    Learn how to accurately throw the canisters and the opurtune timing.
    10) What is your overall opinion of this operator? Where would you rank them among the other operators?
    One of my favorites, above average. I like his gas and SMG11 the most.
     1 people found this helpful

Thanks for the feedback Insevin!

Smoke has been one of my favorites recently as well, his ability to completely shutdown an entrance/area is so useful - especially in the final minute of a round. I'm also partial to his Shotgun/SMG combo, it gives him plenty of versatility.

Smoke can do it all, but ideally I think he's best as someone who defends rooms around the site(including above). He has a shotgun to make easy peek holes into objective room, and has impact to make a quick entry into the objective room, or to make a quick flank point to enemies around the objective. The only thing he really lacks is a long-range weapon so it's best to keep him in these closer-quarters.

Toxic babes are alright. It's not the reason one would really pick smoke (unlike mute or such as they would pick mute specifically for his gadget). It's a good zoning tool that does the perfect amount of damage, enough to make attackers hesitate, but not enough to stop them from charging through it in desperate moments. The gadget grows in value the later the round gets, and you can use all 3 in the last 30 seconds to completely block off a direction of approach which in a 1v1 situation is almost always a free win. It's a nice layer of consideration for attackers as they must push quickly and get you to use your babes earlier while they are less valuable. I think toxic babes should get a slight adjustment though. I'd like to see them be more solidly coloured in the middle as I mentioned in a previous post. I don't like how people can look though smoke grenades and toxic babes as the sub-clouds shrink and grow. Also I think it might make some sense if they made the first second of the toxic cloud do a bit less damage. Might not be necessary but I think it makes playing against smoke a bit less annoying.

Starting with sidearms, the SMG-11 is so clearly a superior choice that this isn't even a consideration(I would personally like to see the optic slot for this weapon removed entirely). The pistol that the SAS have has too much kick for it to be a good pistol, I think it should be buffed in that department, it could really use it. The FMG is so incredibly mediocre, but isn't a bad weapon at all. Problem is, the M590 is the best shotgun in the game and in combination with the SMG-11, gives smoke the legendary tier of versatility that people even pick smoke in the first place for. As for secondary gadget, there isn't really a bad choice for smoke. Barbed wire is great and so is impact grenade. They both suit smoke's playstyle well but I personally favour impact grenades as I find them just a bit more versatile on smoke.

Smoke does decent on all game modes imo, you could argue that he's just slightly worse on bomb mode due to increased entrypoints and on hostage mode due to the reduced available smokeable spots in objective room, but I think that these are really minor issues and aren't worth considering if you understand how to play. He does very well on maps and objectives where there are fewer pathways to the objective, places like plane and barlett as a whole, but these are the kind of spots that anyone can defend with relative ease anyway so it's nothing too special of him, it's just the security really.

Smoke can struggle a bit where he's forced to make a long-distance defense. Maps such as Favela, club house, and kanal, but he's hardly that kind of operator anyway and Favela is the only map where he might truly be forced to play this kind of way. You might argue that he can also struggle on spots like kafe's bakery where there's too many entries, but I don't think this is an issue as defenders as a whole will struggle on that task.

Smoke isn't too picky about who he plays with. Both roamers and turtlers play a role in wasting the time of enemy operators, accentuating what smoke does best which is making the last 30 seconds of a round a moot. As long as there aren't too many roamers and the defenders are prepared for any incoming rush that might happen. If I really had to pick defenders that smoke shines with the most, I'd probably say Mira and Castle, as they can drastically slow down the approach of attackers with their gadgets.

Glaz's thermal scope can see through the toxic smoke, but if used correctly and with proper communication between defenders then I don't think this is a problem. Aside from that there isn't anyone that really counters smoke, his gadget is so safe. Maybe frag grenades and 3 speed operators might be an issue for him? Even then it's nothing that smart play and open ears can't work with.

Aside from the previously mentioned 30 second shutdown, the only other strategy that smoke brings to light is defending from above. His amazing shotgun can create holes to shoot incoming enemies from, while being more discrete than the hole of an impact grenade.

Smoke is pretty straightforward. Don't use the fmg? Don't 'plant' a toxic canister preemptively? Learn the places you can defend from above from? That's about it, really.

Smoke is top choice if the team might require a shotgun. He and Caveira are the only operators who can carry a shotgun into battle and not be crippled by its limitation. Aside from that use, I typically see Smoke as a 'fill' operator, when you might not really 'need' anyone/anything else but have a spare operator slot to fill. He's less ideal this patch due to Glaz's current popularity, and I am certainly seeing a lot less Smoke over the last few months, but he's still a top pick. It's hard to really give him a definitive rank as he isn't an 'essentials' operator and his usefulness can fluctuate depending on map/site.

11) What change, if any, would you make to this operator for better balance in the game?
    Mentioned earlier, I think it would be neat if the optic slot was removed from the smg-11 entirely, and the pistol have its recoil reduced a fair amount to make it even a consideration. Maybe the ADS time of the M590 could be reduced a little? Nothing major. And again, I'd like if the toxic cloud was more solidly coloured so you can't see through it at times, as well as the first tick of damage from the toxic cloud doing a bit less damage solely to make playing against smoke just that bit less annoying. Overall I think smoke is pretty balanced, but small tweaks like these could make him a tid-bit more interesting.

Situation control and entry restriction.
    Smoke gadget is extremely useful to block an door entrance or to conceal himself, since he's unaffected by his own gadget, and disable a defuser.

His gadget is probably the only one which can effectively deny entrance, given that it cannot be countered and it's lethal.

Guns loadout is just fine. I'd like if he got a third barbed wire to match the number of his gas canisters.

In any narrow spot and especially in secure the area and bomb.

Gadget-wise, in large spaces or wherever there are multiple entrances or not enough barbed wires deployed.

Anyone who can deploy barbed wire and Echo because stun and gas is a lethal combination.

None, as the gas cannot be blown away.

Entry prevention mostly and concealment for disabling defuser.

Smoke's gas are lethal for the hostage and team mates. Veteran players should be aware that the case is a great concealment tool for hiding self.

I do like Smoke but I only use him if my team has already picked more suitable defenders for the operation.

11.) What change, if any, would you make to this operator for better balance in the game?
    Have an attacker that could blow gasses away.

WBBCoop's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Ubi-Zoro Go to original post
    So let's discuss Smoke:
    Smoke is da man!.. But just in case my view isn't clear enough, I suppose I could steal some ST:BC time to elaborate.

1) In your opinion, what is this operatorís primary or ideal role in the team?
    For the team or himself? That's the thing with this guy, he can play any position. Hold obj with Castle or go to the first sign of contact and shut it down.

2) The operatorís gadget and how it will help the team achieve its goals. Please share any tidbits you may know to help expand discussion.
    Again, I don't want to be a nit picker..but the teams goals do not align with his role and given his loadout he is very well capable of doing what he wants when he wants.

3) The operatorís loadout, and how best to optimize it. This includes primaries, secondaries, and secondary gadgets.
    The meat and potatoes of Smoke is his loadout. No other operator has such a diversified way of playstyle simply by what he brings along. Obviously his pocket shredder is a must pick, but the shotgun vs laser accurate long range is where his deployment method is shaped. So I would not be able to recommend what main he brings due to this wide margin of strats used. I personally leave the shotty in my locker.

I feel any operators can do well on any maps, but that would be an understatement when talking about Smoke. He really can do..anything.

There are no particular modes he struggles with. He does however struggle when other team members are off mic. This severely hampers his potential.
    "Get outta there, I'm gassing!!!".

I can't think of any better comrades locking down obj with, than Castle and Doc. After taking out a few key players it's a very good winning chance you'll pull through on top. Hell, not a bad combo even if you are 3v5. And as already mentioned he gets stronger as the time widdles down.

Sledge (and Montagne). Well, Montagne is essentially the Smoke trap and Sledge is the trapper. Smoke just loves to rush to Shields. I think its the overconfidence vs Monty that kill him. Most the time I would say Monty is on the loosing side of things when alone though.

Most the time I wing it. I mean..I never know when 3 dudes are out a particular window I'm hunkered down at. The difference between my feelings on my 'goto spots' when operating Smoke is that I know I can get out of there (if Glaz isn't the lucky looker). Depending on where everyone else is at I may just pop a gas and withdraw. That feeling just got a whole lot better while bookin-it back to base..ya know?!

Map Knowledge! Try to lock Ash, Sledge and a third guy into the Freezer. (Come up behind them and reinforce the freezer wall from the outside (at the stairwell) when they sledge and enter into the only non-reinforced freezer spot. Pop the top and gas it! It's hard to do, and you have to have a smoke bomb ready in the freezer around the kitchen door area, but its super fun to pull off. The type of thinking you can do with him, especially with the new throw, is not available with others. If you're an "outside the box" type player, then you should probably buy this guy.

Ill say it again now, Smoke is da man!

Don't touch him! Please!

Great feedback guys! I love seeing the small differences in strategy that players use with Smoke, I guess that goes along with the varied utility he provides.

Originally Posted by WwWwWave Go to original post

None, as the gas cannot be blown away.
    There is a counter to Smoke - Glaz. Glaz's thermal scope can see through the toxic gas and eliminates Smoke's gas-and-retreat option.

feffreyfeffrey's Avatar Banned
    --------- Entry Denial is his primary function if not blocking off hallways next to the objective with Smoke Grenades and his shotgun to push the confused operators in his Smoke gas

--------- His Smokes Grenades stops operators from making a last second push and forces them to go in blind to which you can shotgun them down.

Using him with a Shotgun and his pocket Sniper I feel makes him the best a this Prime and that if his secondary Sub machine gun had a faster switch rate it would improve him much more

------ He does best on maps with small rooms and only two primary entrances. I find he is best on Hostage and Bomb as you can Gas the players to stop them from planting and stop them from rushing to nab the hostage

------ He can struggle on Secure Area if not played correctly because players can run through the Smoke Gas contest the Area long enough to get a lucky shot off

--------- Bandit and Echo are good at slowing players down to get stuck into his smoke gas

7) What opposing operators check or counter this operator

---- Any and all three speed operators that can run through his Smoke Gas

------ I adopted Roaming with him and spawn peeking on certain maps. he makes a excellent roamer for the miscommunication that it will give players

------ Stay in the objective and practice timing you grenades throws with him to keep Attackers out

----- I would rank him a must pick and a 8 on scale of goodness and dependability

Make him a three speed and give his Acog back to him on his Secondary

Insevin's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by WwWwWave Go to original post

Have an attacker that could blow gasses away.
    Yeah it doesn't really work that way.

I'm just gonna skip to what I think is the most important.

11) Give the FMG-9 a fire rate of 1.200 RPM, reduce the damage a bit, and give it more recoil. The IRL FMG has an insane fire rate as well. As for the SMG-11, reduce the damage, and remove all sight options and the grip(to make it harder to snipe people, but still make it viable for emergencies). His shotgun needs a damage buff, and the pistol will be fine.