Anybody noticed - the L seems to have the pre-patch fm - or is it just me.

Anybody noticed - the L seems to have the pre-patch fm - or is it just me.

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    Must be you?

Seems alright when I took one out for a spin online. I must say that I actually prefer the J sometimes...I don't know why either.

RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

I think so too (it's me )- the J is faster - but I think I had my trim set differently during the test flights.

Korolov's Avatar Senior Member
    Aside from the J being a bit quicker in acceleration, and maybe speed, I don't notice much difference between the two.

P38L rolls MUCH better than P38J above ~480Km/H

i noticed that the L doesnt go into a flat spin in a heartbeat when the brake goes on in a turn. seems the hvar's lost a bit of power. before, if the rockets landed 10 feet from a whirbelwind, it was toast. now, it survives. even the 20mm wont kill it. before patch, those zsu's would die in 2 cannon shots. it does seem the speed and climb rates have been bumped up, and maybe the L has a bit better turn rate. but what still kills the 38 over the mustangs is the guns. their hitting power is still way off. what would kill an engine in a snapshot in a 51 or p-40, doesnt in a p-38. should be that anything that's in front of a p-38 should die fast...just like anything that gets in front of a 190 dies in 2 seconds

S!

Too me the J seems faster and a bit more nimble. The P38L actually had better rated engines than are currently modeled into FB/AEP, so the L model should be faster.

There was continued advancement in engine development and power ratings for all Allison powered aircraft.

"For a more complete, readers are suggested to Daniel Whitney's "Vee for Victory!" or Graham White's "Allied Aircraft Piston Engines of World War II". Note that both Allison and Service designations are used to refer to Allison models, the Allison designation consists of a letter followed by a number with an optional letter suffix, while the service designation is just a number. The service numbers are shown in parenthesis in the following table (some engines were experimental or developmental and not issued a service number)."

"P-38L. Production was from June 1944 through August 1945, effectively to the end of the war. Not only did they incorporate improvements such as the critical dive flaps, hydraulically boosted ailerons and additional fuel capacity, they also utilized the further improved V-1710-111/130 (F30R/L) engines, while continuing to use the Type B-33 turbosupercharger.

The F-30 engine was still rated as the F-17s but incorporated many internal improvements, most notably the 12 counterweight crankshaft. As a consequence it could be operated up to 3200 rpm. Using Grade 150 fuel it could deliver 1725 bhp under WER conditions." (Vee's for Victory p 145)

Many P38Ls were manufactured with this engine.

CCJ: What do you define as the most important things a fighter pilot must know to be successful, relating to air combat maneuvering?

Robert S. Johnson :
    It's pretty simple, really. Know the absolute limits of your plane's capabilities.
    Know its strengths and weaknesses. Know the strengths and weaknesses of you enemy's fighters. Never fight the way your enemy fights best. Always fight the way you fight best. Never be predictable.

In "Fighter Aces," aviation historians Raymond Tolliver
    and Trevor Constable compared Johnson's record with that of two German aces.
    Werner Molders was the first ace to score 100 aerial victories and Erich Hartmann is the top scoring ace of all time with 352.

The authors noted that
    Johnson "emerges impressively from this comparison." He downed 28 planes in 91 sorties, while Molders took 142 sorties to do the same, and Hartmann, 194.
    ________

http://www.warplaneswarehouse.com/pl.../MS1AOO_LG.jpg

"Angels of Okinawa"

Willey's Avatar Senior Member
    I'm finding this pretty strange. If I'm not wrong the P-38J has ~1600hp per engine, and the L has 1725 as written above. Now, wven if they had the same power, why the hell is the J faster by some 15km/h on the deck, but climbing ~5m/s worse? I expect them both to climb like the L climbs now and the speeds exchanged.

think the L should have more manuverability with the power assisted flight controls, but the J clearly seems more nimble. the J-lo model was the fastest of the 38's. why, no clue. could the J-lo have different engines than the other varients kahuna?
    it was also reported that the p-38-H model was unshakeable from a spitfire in a mock dogfight that 79 pilots witnessed. lightning driver almost splashed in a split-s near the deck following the spit, but was still locked on.
    what was the spec's on the H model...mebby they should have had the H in fb instead.