Zoro's Avatar Community Representative

R6 Community Discusses - Chalet

This discussion will focus on the map Chalet. This series has been added to the R6 forums to facilitate discussions in the community involving operator use, gadgets and strategies that often get buried or lost in the abundance of others posts that flood the forums.

The goal of this series is to not only give new players a primer on a specific operator or map, but also for mid-level or competitive players a chance to share the knowledge that they have accrued in their experiences and maybe let people know something that they did not know before.

For this edition we will discuss Chalet:

Link to Chalet Info HERE
    Chalet Wiki
    Rainbow Six Complete Guide

Below are some discussion points we would like to see responses on from community members that decide to respond. Feel free to discuss other information that may be helpful to the community about this map. Posts that do not contribute to the healthy discussion of this thread will be removed.

1) In your opinion, what is the best area of the map for defenders/attackers?
    2) Which Operators shine on this map? Which operators have you struggled with here?
    3) The camera placement, how well is the map covered by defender cameras?
    4) Objective placements, which is your favorite location? Least favorite?
    5) Which game modes do you prefer on this map?
    6) Spawn locations, yay or nay on the current locations?
    7) Has this map made you play the game differently?
    8) Map layout, what do you think of the design of this map?
    9) What is something that a new player should know when playing this map?
    10) What is your overall opinion of this map? Where would you rank it among the other maps in the game?

Thanks in advance to everyone who participates!

Links to our past discussions can be found here:

R6 Discusses - All Topics

Insevin's Avatar Senior Member
    1) In your opinion, what is the best area of the map for defenders/attackers?
    Defenders - Map is Roamer heaven, anywhere above objective or for top level objectives - the basement is the best spot to flank from.
    Attackers - Control above an objective can be critical, or closing down lanes of flanking for the defending team. Stairs, alternate doorways, etc
    2) Which Operators shine on this map? Which operators have you struggled with here?
    3 speeds shine. Struggle, nobody especially. The map is well rounded for all ops.
    3) The camera placement, how well is the map covered by defender cameras?
    Good cameras
    4) Objective placements, which is your favorite location? Least favorite?
    Dislike Bar, most others are good
    5) Which game modes do you prefer on this map?
    Secure, Hostage. Bomb can be tricky with 2 spots as this map is fairly easily penetrated by attackers
    6) Spawn locations, yay or nay on the current locations?
    Yay
    7) Has this map made you play the game differently?
    No, very classic map and of course popular for Pros
    8) Map layout, what do you think of the design of this map?
    Good, balanced
    Look for flanking and unexpected angles. Be aware of the kitchen window as ATK and DEF can fire through it, as well as other windows that gadgets can be thrown through even if ops can't reach it. (SEE IMAGE for Kitchen)
    10) What is your overall opinion of this map? Where would you rank it among the other maps in the game?
    Good tournament map, not necessarily the easiest to lone wolf/clutch on. Among the best maps.

1 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by Insevin Go to original post

Look for flanking and unexpected angles. Be aware of the kitchen window as ATK and DEF can fire through it, as well as other windows that gadgets can be thrown through even if ops can't reach it.

Thanks for your feedback Insevin!

On your point about kitchen window, I've seen defenders forget about the line of sight from that window at least one round out of every match I play here. If defending bomb in kitchen, I usually put a mirror facing into kitchen for safe peeking on that window (because Glaz will get'cha almost guaranteed).

I think the library upstairs is especially hard to defend.
     2 people found this helpful

EngineFEAR's Avatar Member
    1) In your opinion, what is the best area of the map for defenders/attackers? Wow, My opinion changed so much on this matter. Are we talking about Secure Area? Or Bomb. I guess I will post for both. I used to choose basement (Garage/Wine Cellars) every time.That area used to seem like an automatic win back in the day. I still think it can be dependable, but if the opposing team is skilled and works together it is now much harder to defend. Nowadays, defending Kitchen/trophy seems to be the best option for both secure and for Bomb site. If I have a good squad, I will choose either. But if I don't have as much confidence in my squad, I choose kitchen because I love to roam and I can play a more reliable roam game above and below kitchen.
    2) Which Operators shine on this map? Which operators have you struggled with here? Defense: I think Pulse (because if you hang out upstairs he can detect anybody on that outside balcony and either call out or take out), Bandit is useful in the basement, Jaeger and mute will be needed however for that Strat (against twitch) and Smoke, because Smoke is just all around amazing to keep attackers at bay (or for trapping Montagne XD. Attack: I think Twitch (drones can do so much damage to defense gadgets), Buck (because of the floors and ceilings that break around objectives), Thatcher, (Sledge, ash or IQ, for grenades against barbed wire), Montagne can be really good for a basement attack. Really, I think any operator can be decent for this map, if you plan your strategy with the operators. Otherwise, the above picks are always useful regardless of your planned strategy.
    3) The camera placement, how well is the map covered by defender cameras? I have never considered Ubisoft changing camera placement. I think most of the cameras are well placed. However, I feel the basement is lacking, Perhaps one camera in the Main garage or within the three way hall outside?
    4) Objective placements, which is your favorite location? Least favorite? I really wish that Library was a more defend-able area. (I really think that every objective should be defend-able with the correct strategies). I would love to see the other garage (Main Garage) in the basement become an objective for secure area or something. Since there are two drop down hatches, I think it would be a vertical defense, but a defense nevertheless.
    5) Which game modes do you prefer on this map? Nobody plays Hostage I would play either, however, most people I play with currently play Secure Area
    6) Spawn locations, yay or nay on the current locations? I have no issue as I don't think I have been spawn killed.
    7) Has this map made you play the game differently? Vertically, This map has made me think vertically, and really appreciate operators such as buck, sledge, and Pulse.
    8) Map layout, what do you think of the design of this map? I enjoy the map layout, very different from other maps except for Skyscraper, where you cannot go on the roof.
    9) What is something that a new player should know when playing this map? Play Vertical, be aware of walls you can break on attack or defense in order to open up routes for different strategies.
    10) What is your overall opinion of this map? Where would you rank it among the other maps in the game? I like this map, would rate it up in the top 3 Probably. However, It saddens me that Pro League gamer do not play other maps in the game. I feel like, since every map gives teams equal chance to attack and defend, all maps are equal even if defending or attacking is particularly difficult on some. Really wish the pro league teams would start branching out so that we can see some interesting strategies on other maps.

Ladder: I cannot wait for a Ladder Defense Operator to come out. Really, it would change every map if there was a defense operator with a deploy-able ladder gadget for hatches. Roam game would be much different, and objectives could be extended into a vertical defense. I would love to see this.

Thanks for the feedback EngineFEAR,

I like your ideas for camera/objective placements!

feffreyfeffrey's Avatar Banned
    I like this map actually and love defending dinning room with frost and placinging two open mirra's on garage door when defending it. The worst operator on this map is Fuze the operator that shines on this map is captiao because of his gadget cuts off rooms with only two enterances.
    My least favorite room is Bar attacking and defending it if I had to give a strat on defending it it would be just destroy the wall connecting game room to it.
    To give you more breathing room.

Originally Posted by feffreyfeffrey Go to original post
    The worst operator on this map is Fuze
    You think fuze is bad on this map? The floor is fantastically destructible and you can relocate defenders a lot with fuze. I think he is good on any map where the floor/roof is destructible. Each to their own but im curious as to why you think he is bad?

WBBCoop's Avatar Senior Member
    Oh my, between work and playing every available hour on Star Trek Bridge Crew I haven't been able to keep up on my lavish posting capabilities! Chalet deserves some love though.

Chalet was one of my least favorite and every time it popped I swear I could feel another few gray hairs starting to grow. Luckily enough, I eventually understood how the map flows and no longer have a mild myocardial infarction contemplating how to approach it.

1) I don't believe there is a best spot for the defenders while the attackers going for the 2nd floor first is probably the best bet to find the inevitable roamers that plague the place.

2) Monty and Sledge once again prove a sufficient workable combo for sweeping the hot spots. Its a gamble to not take Thermite and Thatcher just in case of a garage breach..but they are not the go-to guys for this hunt. Any and all trap ops are vital to keep the rush down due to its close environmental operational thrust approach.

3) Cameras are once again toast by the attackers..could use a move or two. Chalet starts at 0:57 in the vid..

4) I actually enjoy the Bar. There is literally no place to approach from that you can not get an optimal flanking position. In reality though..we really feel the need to keep the whole Chalet under control and immediately flush towards any incursion. Hostage in the bedroom kinda banks the 8 ball into the wrong pocket for me. I do get those gray hair feelings trying to keep an eye on the little guy without getting blindsided in the the temple.

5) I'm diggin the Bomb mode again. It just seems more fun trying to keep the attackers and defenders Alive..you know..instead of everyone catching a croak in the end..plus I get that warm fuzzy feeling of keeping the bad guys at bay in the snow.

6) Spawns are terrific. Being able to finish up a pee break between rounds is completely viable..no need for a compromised bladder on this baby!

7) If you mean playing differently as in running from flanking window to flanking window..yea..sure.

8) Being able to get anywhere fairly quickly allows for some interesting custom map layouts and as such I feel that this is yet another perfect location for a 'this is my place and not yours!' kind of defense as apposed to 'this is my part of the building..you guys can have the rest' type gig. I get into these kinds of maps..feels more..Siege-ee.

9) Watch drone holes!..Glaz seems to think that they are targeting plinks! - Attack the bedroom! - You can repel on the right side of the main front door-to the balcony area instead of using the ladder, thus..squeaking a shot into the office thingy area. - Watch a back or have your back watched! etc..

10) It's a good local with a friendly atmosphere which reminds me of Park City, Utah. That's a good thing btw.

11) Can we pretty please get to blow up the snowmobiles ? Not sure on realism..but a well placed nade should be able to give us a strategic bon fire out by the garage..just sayin. OH..and what about if the defenders shields are down?..Can we beam aboard the Hostage?.. .. Oh crap..wrong forum..my bad!

Thanks for the additional feedback guys!

----

Glad to see you back in proper posting form Coop, great input!