Zoro's Avatar Community Representative

R6 Community Discusses - Hereford Base

This discussion will focus on the map Hereford Base. This series has been added to the R6 forums to facilitate discussions in the community involving operator use, gadgets and strategy that often get buried or lost in the abundance of others posts that flood the forums.

The goal of this series is to not only give new players a primer on a specific operator or map, but also for mid-level or competitive players a chance to share the knowledge that they have accrued in their experiences and maybe let people know something that they did not know before.

For this edition we will discuss Hereford Base:

Link to Hereford Base Info HERE
    Hereford Base Wiki
    Rainbow Six Complete Guide

Below are some discussion points we would like to see responses on from community members that decide to respond. Feel free to discuss other information that may be helpful to the community about this map. Posts that do not contribute to the healthy discussion of this thread will be removed.

1) In your opinion, what is the best area of the map for defenders/attackers?
    2) Which Operators shine on this map? Which operators have you struggled with here?
    3) The camera placement, how well is the map covered by defender cameras?
    4) Objective placements, which is your favorite location? Least favorite?
    5) Which game modes do you prefer on this map?
    6) Spawn locations, yay or nay on the current locations?
    7) Has this map made you play the game differently?
    8) Map layout, what do you think of the design of this map?
    9) What is something that a new player should know when playing this map?
    10) What is your overall opinion of this map? Where would you rank it among the other maps in the game?

Thanks in advance to everyone who participates!

Links to our past discussions can be found here:

R6 Discusses - All Topics

The best areas for defenders are, in order of best to worst, basement (you know the enemy has to come to you so turtle up), 3rd floor (only way in is two stairs and rappelling, easy to mute and deny info to enemies, 2nd floor (multiple areas to cover), then 1st floor (to hard to defend against celing assaults)

The best objectives to attack, in order of best to worse, are 1st floor (instant room access from outside wall with thatcher-thermite and a drop down hatch with a fuse-able celing make it a death trap), 2nd floor (multiple entry points from upperstairs, lowerstairs,metal stairs, and multiple windowed rooms split up defenders) , 3rd floor( great window sniper coverage), then basement (only 5 entry points: locker walls, multimedia door, stairs, garage ladder, and main room hatch. Combine that with multiple upper floors to clear of roamers and 2 choke point doors on objective make it a race against the clock)

2) Which Operators shine on this map?
    Definitely Habana, Thermite, Thatcher, Jackal, Fuse, and Twitch for offense, and Caviera, Mute, Bandit, and Frosty's for defense.
    Which operators have you struggled with here? Tachanka (I mean, do I have to say it?) and Shield operators (too much verticality)
    Average coverage. 2 outside Is standard. Maybe more than one camera per floor would be nice.

4) Objective placements, which is your favorite location?
    3rd floor and basement.

Least favorite?
    2nd floor and 1st floor.

I mostly play Secure, but solo terrorist hunt is fun here too.

Good spead all around, maybe a roof spawn wouldn't hurt.

Not really.

Great example of verticality and compact design.

Watch out for spawn peeks/flanks on ladder balcony, first floor wall, outside staircase, and window.

10) What is your overall opinion of this map?
    Upper tier. It focuses on map control, situational awareness, and general gun fights.

Where would you rank it among the other maps in the game?
    It's in my top 4 so high A rank maybe low S.
    I know some players hate this map, but at least it's better than Plane.
     1 people found this helpful

DementedProdigy's Avatar Member
    Hereford Base is my favorite map, I love the vertical design of the map.

Attacking: Dining Room
    Though Mira has made it harder, any room with walls that lead directly outside is difficult to defend. Even with an effective Mira, with the ceiling of the room being completely destructible you can still breach the room fairly easily. A good combination of Thermite on the Exterior walls and Hibanna creating lines of site from the Piano room makes it as easy as any to secure. Bandit isn't an issue as you can quickly change his plans from the level above. A Fuze can really cause chaos.

Defending: Armory
    Mira has really made this room the easiest to defend by far. With proper window placements it truly forces the enemy to come in from one direction. What also makes this room difficult to attack is the lockers which restrict lines of site from outside the room. The room with the projector is a great place for defenders to get a little cover as they prevent Thermite from taking over the lockers area.

2) Which Operators shine on this map? Which operators have you struggled with here?
    Shines: Sledge
    Hibana and Thermite are the easy answers for any Map. But Sledge is both a lot of fun to use and can provide a unique benefit because there is so much dry wall on this map that won't get reinforced. Think outside the box a little to create some interesting lines of sight

Struggles: Glaz, there is very little reason to engage in long range gun battles so this OP is pretty useless on this map.

Nay, I don't like the camera placement on any of the maps as there are very few useful cams. Thank god Valk was released.

Favorite: Armory (Secure Area)
    Least Favorites: Dining Room (Secure Area)

Secure area. I have the other game modes off in my preferences

Yay, you get pretty good cover when exiting the spawns, the trees could be moved around a little so they don't hide those annoying spawn peekers looking over the parking lot spawn and the shooting range spawn.

No different than any other map. To me it feels like what siege is "Supposed" to feel like. A solid structure that you need to penetrate and communicate heavily to have a chance at success. Callouts are so important because of the close quarters engagements. Shotguns tend to do well on this map as well because of the narrow hallways throughout with the amount of destructible walls and tight objective rooms. The complete opposite of Favelas.

Its okay as is. I just wish there weren't so many windows

Pay attention to the windows when leaving parking lot spawn. Always drone the top floor.

10) What is your overall opinion of this map? Where would you rank it among the other maps in the game?
    My favorite map in the game.

WBBCoop's Avatar Senior Member
    1. You can blow everything up in this Sniperville map, nothing better a defender can do in his environment. I honestly can't say which area is the best because it seems like you must keep them out of the structure period. Vertical play and destruction is the key to entering and/or holding the building much less the objective.

2. Monty and Sledge (again). Bandit w/wire, Castle, oye..boy..any op really.

3. All of them can be destroyed from the outside. The very first map is H.B.

4. Favorite should be up top bio. Blow the interior L-wall in prep. I don't have an un-favorite. Loving the whole make your own map concept..especially with Castle!

5. Bio..but my favorite is hostage in the armory. Just seems..proper I guess.

6. Perfect spawn locals.

7. Hell yea it does! Guys..please barricade exterior walls and not the hole I just blew open. You're really screwing us in the long run and I dont have time to wait for you to use up your 2 before a pop! Thank you

8. It's not as elaborate as say Club..but it seems to move slower than its smaller sized cousins. It seems to get me charged up more than a lot of the others..like you just don't know which direction this is gonna go type feeling. Kinda cool actually.

9. Don't Bolt (cool name for an op eh?). Unless you know there isn't someone there..treat it as if someone has an acog in that direction. Just chiilll. When we get there we blow stuff up..ok Thermite?

10. I always enjoy the modified maps. Just wish it were larger..but we have University..so its all good.

(hidden bonus question) I would love to have a drop spot upstairs. Any way that could happen? Awesome thanks!

1. Basement area for defenders and upper areas for attackers, especially 2nd floor.
    2. All operators. No operator sucks in this game.
    3. Ok and I am indifferent to it.
    4. Favourite: Kitchen. Least favourite: all others.
    5. Hostage and Bomb. Secure area is just dull and boring everywhere
    6. Shooting range is the only good spawn. All others are just horrible. This map can use an airborne drop as a spawn.
    7. Nope.
    8. Dull and boring. Everything is predictable, nearly everywhere I am expecting an enemy. Not much movement for defenders in some areas, and you can be trapped.
    9. Stop abusing the going outside. Shotguns are your friends here. But they are just inconsistent at the moment. Valkyrie is superb here if used properly. Expect enemies everytime as the map is too small. Spawn at shooting range for a safer start.
    10. 0/10 along with bartlett and house, the maps that are just so predictable and have no variation. In higher ranks, there is at least 2-3 rushers on the defensive team and ignoring the objective; too small, and no big spaces, spawns have trees that are blocking vision and small rooms. Boring and dull. At least in house you can get some fun but maps that are simple and small are just dull and boring.
     2 people found this helpful

Defenders: Armory / Briefing Room
    Attackers: TV Station / Kitchen

Hibana, Thermite, Jager, Bandit, Smoke, Mira, Valkyrie...

After the Glaz patch with thermal scope, he's pretty well when taking Briefing Room in Bomb, since the defenders can't do too much if you smoke the whole room up and Glaz holds while a teammate plants. Mute isn't played that much since in some cases he's just not really needed. Just an idea, Mute's signal disrupter should block Glaz's thermal making it impossible to see through when in range. However, Glaz can toggle off thermal and use his normal scope when Mute is near. This is the only reason Glaz has a high pick rate, because of his insanely powerful buff, now if Mute gets this ability, it will really help him be played and he will be in the meta.

Cameras ain't too bad, but enemy teams shoot it out at the beginning either way.

Defenders: Armory / Briefing Room
    Attackers: TV Room / Kitchen

Bomb. I play Bomb on every map if playing in ranked for sure.

Yay. Peek the windows as going towards the the base, and if a spawn peeker is getting greedy, he will get punished and they will be down a person the whole round.

Nah.

It's alright. Just a lot of small hallways I don't like such as the Garage Corridor.

Know where all default camera placements are, known Valkyrie cameras such as ones in trees. What objective sites are the best for each team. And just know the reinforcements that are important and the layout.

About a 7 or 8 out of 10. One of the first maps I learned as a new player. It's one of the easier maps to learn for newer players in my opinion.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts so far!

Originally Posted by Krisperfectline Go to original post
    10. 0/10 along with bartlett and house, the maps that are just so predictable and have no variation.
    What would you suggest to help vary up the map?

-----------

I thought I'd share a few thoughts on Hereford as well,

One of my favorite maps, a pretty easy layout to learn with plenty of destructible goodness to mess with your approaches/setups.

I really enjoy all the modes here, but I find bomb especially fun on Hereford - probably because of how much redecorating you can do to suit your strategy.

I often play Mira here for defense and Sledge for offense, both feel well suited for the map due to their utility with destructible walls.

Decent size map with lots of options to mix things up.

-----------

@WBBCoop, thanks for sharing the camera video! Definitely a good resource. I also agree, Hereford matches always seem to be the most intense/satisfying!

WBBCoop's Avatar Senior Member
    No problem on the cams Zoro and yea, mixing things up is a good way to put it.

How about a ladder system on the interior front wall somewhere?

Originally Posted by WBBCoop Go to original post
    How about a ladder system on the interior front wall somewhere?
    Could be interesting, anyone else have thoughts on this idea?

Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts this week!

It's Sunday again so it's time for a new discussion topic! Hopefully we will see everyone back for our next discussion which will focus on the operator Valkyrie!

Feel free to continue the discussion here or on any of our previous discussions : R6 Discusses - All Topics