Last night I mapped the throttle on my joystick to prop pitch. I'd heard people talk about manual prop pitch but had never tried it before.

On most aircraft, it didn't seem to have a noticeable effect--I just kept it at 100% all the time.

But on the BF-109 (especially later models like the K4) the effect was drastic. I was able to achieve a much faster climb rate by switching to manual prop pitch and slowly increasing the prop pitch as I climbed and lost airspeed--I was trying to match RPMs by sound.

So here's my questions:

1) Do you use manual prop pitch, or leave it on auto? If you use manual, do you leave it on manual all the time, or only switch it to that for certain circumstances?

2) Do you use it on just the BF-109, or any other planes?

3) Are there any significant uses for it besides the climbing-more-quickly example I gave?

4) What do you do with the throttle when you're manipulating prop pitch? Leave it at 80? Leave it at 100%? Manipulate it as well?

Last night I mapped the throttle on my joystick to prop pitch. I'd heard people talk about manual prop pitch but had never tried it before.

On most aircraft, it didn't seem to have a noticeable effect--I just kept it at 100% all the time.

But on the BF-109 (especially later models like the K4) the effect was drastic. I was able to achieve a much faster climb rate by switching to manual prop pitch and slowly increasing the prop pitch as I climbed and lost airspeed--I was trying to match RPMs by sound.

So here's my questions:

1) Do you use manual prop pitch, or leave it on auto? If you use manual, do you leave it on manual all the time, or only switch it to that for certain circumstances?

3) Are there any significant uses for it besides the climbing-more-quickly example I gave?

4) What do you do with the throttle when you're manipulating prop pitch? Leave it at 80? Leave it at 100%? Manipulate it as well?

Do you want the historic/realistic answer or the FB 'game-the-game'/exploit answer?

I`d like to hear the historic vs FB answer. i`ve always wondered on this. I guess it`ll be a longer answer, so I`ll go to bed (it`s 2 am now) and read it in the morning!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZG77_Lignite:
    Do you want the historic/realistic answer or the FB 'game-the-game'/exploit answer?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Honestly, I'd be interested in both.

I don't play online (lousy internet connection) so nobody needs to worry about me using any FM inaccuracies unfairly against them. The only person I'd be abusing is the AI, and AI cheats more than anyone else out there.

But I'm also interested in history for history's sake, and searching Google for "prop pitch" doesn't tell me anything useful. Certainly nothing as useful as some of the knowledgable members of this forum.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EMitton:

So here's my questions:

http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/3...esigsmall2.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alied planes do not have manual prop pitch. You can only change the RPM setting. The governor changes the prop pitch automaticaly to keep the RPM at your setting.

Capt. 361stMapleTiger.

Proud member of the FBAA and Nutty Philosohpy Club.

Tully__'s Avatar Global Moderator
    For some background, read Those Marvelous Props by John Deakin at AvWeb.

=================================================

IL2 Forums Moderator
    Forum Terms of Use
    Tully's X-45 profile (SST drivers)

Salut
    Tully

it´s no bug it´s a feature, be sure school physics is not enough...

780km/h my record on a K4 ; with no doubt that´s historicall correct as the P51 turnability and the P47 climbability !

"Finde den Feind und schiesse ihn ab alles andere ist Unsinn"
    Rittmeister Freiherr Manfred von Richthofen

@ Maple_Tiger

Your statement about alied fighters is not correct. The P-38 and P-40 did have electric propeller pitch control systems. If you switched off the auto mode, they would become fixed pitch propellers that could be adjusted manually similar to the 109.
    To make this simulation a bit more realistic, the performance increase you get on the 109 when using manual prop pitch should have the penalty of engine failure after 5 minutes. You are basically abusing a factory fresh engine every flight, instead of having to fly with it for 25 or 30 hours.

Regards, Scorpius