Zoro's Avatar Community Representative

R6 Community Discusses : Castle

This edition of "R6 Community Discusses" will focus on the operator CASTLE. This series has been added to the R6 forums to facilitate discussions in the community involving operator use, gadgets and strategy that often get buried or lost in the abundance of others posts that flood the forums.

The goal of this series is to not only give new players a primer on a specific operator or map, but also for mid-level or competitive players a chance to share the knowledge that they have accrued in their experiences and maybe let people know something that they did not know before.

So let's discuss Castle:

Link to Castle Operator Information HERE
    Castle Wiki

Below are some discussion points we would like to see from community members that decide to respond. Feel free to discuss other information that may be helpful to the community about this operator. Posts that do not contribute to the healthy discussion of this thread will be removed.

1) In your opinion, what is this operator’s primary or ideal role in the team?
    2) The operator’s gadget and how it will help the team achieve its goals. Please share any tidbits you may know to help expand discussion.
    3) The operator’s loadout, and how best to optimize it. This includes primaries, secondaries, and secondary gadgets.
    4) What maps and game modes does this operator do well on?
    5) What maps and game modes does this operator struggle on?
    6) What other operators synergize well with this operator being on their team?
    7) What opposing operators check or counter this operator?
    8) What strategies have you adopted while playing this operator and why?
    9) What is something that a new player should know when playing this operator, or what is something you know that would help a veteran player take that next step?
    10) What is your overall opinion of this operator? Where would you rank them among the other operators?

+Bonus prompt:
    11.) How do you feel about this Operator's balance within the current state of the game? Do you have any changes/tweaks you'd like to see to the Op?

Thanks in advance to all who share!

Links to our past discussions can be found here:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...ses-All-Topics
     1 people found this helpful

feffreyfeffrey's Avatar Banned
    1) In your opinion, what is this operatorís primary or ideal role in the team?
    ----His primary focus is and should be to stop rushing AND window shoppers
    2) The operatorís gadget and how it will help the team achieve its goals. Please share any tidbits you may know to help expand discussion.
    --- His gadgets is very useful. If the entire team roams but lock the objective down mute it off. It keeps the objective safe and if they breach via hatch they're trapped in a box with no back up.
    3) The operatorís loadout, and how best to optimize it. This includes primaries, secondaries, and secondary gadgets.
    --- His ump is very stable and good with using a mirror but he shotgun is good for rushing down players that broke your door down.
    ----- he does well on hostage and secure area if he saves his Panels for the last minute push
    .5) What maps and game modes does this operator struggle on?
    ----He struggles on favela and bomb due to the destructible environment
    He works well with everyone but best with Mira,Mute and Jaeger.
    -----Do to the limited breaching charges now mostly Ash and Sledge are his weakness ... But thats why you bring a mira.
    ---- I've adopted a strategy that focus on wasting time rather than keeoing them out of the objective by cutting off shortcuts and roaming with him to start a man hunt. He is good for boxing Jackle in a room and gasing him.
    9) What is something that a new player should know when playing this operator, or what is something you know that would help a veteran player take that next step?
    --- When using him don't be scared to make a risky push and don't lock your teammates in the room within 30 sec.
    Ask who is leaving and who is staying.
    10) What is your overall opinion of this operator? Where would you rank them among the other operators?
    ---'he is my go to player and I rank him a 5 and his new mixtape just dropped and it is fire
     2 people found this helpful

1.) Castle's primary role is to slow down the opposing team from entering the objective areas. He's mean't to control the pace of the match.

2.) I feel like Castle's gadget is a little weak, any explosive will tear through his barricades instantly, It's a problem.

3.) The UMP 45 is an ok weapon, I don't know if Castle needs an ok weapon with a seldom useful gadget. Personally I believe buffing castles actual barricades will circumvent this entire issue. Also I just personally struggle with UMP, I find Shotguns to be weak in rainbow.

4.) He does well on hostage and secure area, as for maps he does well on any room that doesn't have more than 5 doorways. it can otherwise be difficult to lock down the room. However i do believe I would have to do more research on the maps so don't take this particular advice to seriously.

5.) Maps with rooms with many destructible walls, Bomb is a huge problem for Castle, He doesn't have enough barricades to top the enemy.

6.) Mute, Jaeger, Rook

7.) Ash, Sledge, Fuze, and Twitch. Twitch can take out mute charges and Jaeger Defense system to allow fuze to attack and destroy a room that has now been used to box in the defenders. thatcher can be used as well.

8.) With Castle I try to seal off large doorways and windows as there the most susceptible to fuze charges

9.) tell your teammates to not be afraid to take down your castle barricades. being boxed into a room can be very deadly in rainbow, Setting up outside of the room as castle isn't a bad idea either.

10.) I would give castle a 5 out of 10. he's not an outstanding operator by any stretch. He can be useful in some situations but most of the time he's mediocre. Sucks to say, I like castle but I rarely play him, I feel other defensive operators are better controlling space than him, such as Smoke, and Frost.

1) His role is to slow down enemies, forcing them to utilize a specific playstyle.

2) Castle can slow down the enemy to help flankers, or completely block an entry with a well-placed barricade.

3) Castle has 2 primary weapons, and 2 secondary. Here's how I use them:

UMP:
    Holographic
    Extended Barrel
    Angled Grip

This gun has no recoil in the first place, so having the vertican grip or a compensator would be a waste. The holographic sight will make this gun very powerful at range, even if you don't go for headshots.

M1014:
    Reflex Sight
    Laser Sight

You're gonna hipfire a lot with this gun, so the Reflex sight will ensure that none of your vision is obstructed, unlike the Holographic or the Red Dot.

M45:
    Muzzle Brake
    Laser Sight

The laser won't really hurt here, as you're not gonna use this gun a lot. Only pull it out if you're in a firefight, and you run out if ammo. Hipfire is ok.

5.7:
    Suppressor

I like to keep this gun simple. If you're gonna pistol snipe, use this gun, as it has a lot of ammo, and great iron sights.

Use the impact grenades for opening up between bomb sites. The shield is also a great option if you need cover for reloading.

4)
    Castle is good for maps like House, Border, and Oregon, where roaming is easy. Sneak up on the enemy while they are trying to go through your barricades, or have Caveira do it for you.

5)
    Castle is garbage on Bank, Favela, Coastline or any other map where the enemy
    can easily get an angle on you when you're roaming.

6) Caveira is a good teammate, as you can stall for time while she's trying to flank
    the enemy.
    Mute is also good, as he can stop breach charges.
    There's also Our Lord and Saviour that can hold one angle and be protected from any flank.

7) Sledge simply ignores that it's a castle barricade, he doesn't care what he's gonna destroy. Ash does the same, and she can keep her distance while she does it. Neither are countered by Mute. Fuze actually works better if he's up against Castle, as you can't shoot him while he's planting his heat seeking clusterrape device. Speaking of heat seeking, Glaz. With the buff he got recently, all he needs is one tiny hole, and he has full overwatch of the room. He can also easily punch the barricade to pieces with his rifle.

8) If your team has someone who wants to camp by a doorway that he can't watch, Castle is the man. The enemy can still break it, but unless they have a Glaz, they can't shoot through it.
    Another thing you can do if the room you're trying to defend has too many breachable walls, is to equip the impact grenades (or have a teammate use them), and blow open a wall that leads to a room that is way easier to reinforce.
    The perfect example would be on Border if you're defending Workshop. That room has 14 breachable walls if you count the trapdoors, and the team obviously only has 10 reinforcement panels. If you blow open the wall to Bathroom, which has no breakable walls, you just saved your team 3 reinforcements, and if you Castle off the one doorway, the room is pretty much secured.

9) Don't place your barricades on windows unless you have a Mute. Also, if you have 5 people on the objective, don't bother picking him, as that makes him useless.

10)
    7/10, he's misunderstood, but he could still use a buff, to better resist against Fuze.

EDIT:
    11)
    He needs resistance against Fuze and his barricades should go down to the floor, so you can use it for cover.

All Castle needs is one more barricade. Please don't try to fix him making him OP! Let's be humble and smarter this time! 4 barricades would make him as useful as we all want!

Zoro's Avatar Community Representative
    Thanks for all the feedback so far everyone!

I don't play Castle much myself (I prefer Frost as my go-to defender) but reading through some of your praise of him is making me want to give him another chance.

-----

Since it's been brought up already, I'll add this question to the mix:

11.) How do you feel about this Operator's balance within the current state of the game? Do you have any changes/tweaks you'd like to see to the Op?

Castle should be able to place a square Castle barricade over broken hatches.

Say if a team mates breaks too many hatches or an enemy breaks one from below and shooting up.

I really hate castle SMG, it fires too slowly and its damage is bad and its recoil is bad and it has less bullets than other smg in magazine...

Castles gadget is too easily countered by almost every attacker.
    Most attackers have some way of easily destroying his barricades.
    Also his gadget often protects the enemy, allowing Fuze and other similar ones to deploy their gadgets without fear.

easy_target77's Avatar Senior Member
    His description talks about bulletproof armored reinforcements. He should be able to block incoming bullets and make it difficult for attackers to find a suitable entry point
    2) The operator’s gadget and how it will help the team achieve its goals. Please share any tidbits you may know to help expand discussion.
    His gadget is too vulnerable and weak to a large amount of attacker's gadgets, more egregious are Glaz's rifle, and Fuze's cluster charges.
    3) The operator’s loadout, and how best to optimize it. This includes primaries, secondaries, and secondary gadgets.
    I think that his loadout is very balanced for his role
    Small maps with fewer entry points
    Large maps with abundant entry points
    Mute seems to work well because it will provide breaching protection as well
    Any operator that is capable of breaching. Thatcher and Twitch when he is backed up by mute jammers.
    Blocking windows to prevent Glaz from immediately breaking throug barriers
    It's better to keep thing up close and personal with him
    I would put him at a low mid-tier.

+Bonus prompt:
    Make his barriers completely block incoming bullets (including Glaz, and Buck) and Fuze charges. Make it take two or three hits from Sledge before breaking, and more resistant to melee attacks and grenades before they get destroyed. Directed charges should still be able to breach it (breach charges, Thermite, Hibana and Ash). He only has three barriers, and many operators can counter him like that. Make the barriers at least be worth it.

WBBCoop's Avatar Senior Member
    Ive noticed your inclusion of both the Castle photo and the bonus #11 there Zoro..I am assuming then that you felt there was something special about this operator yourself or something special about Him for us. Good deal and here we go..

Keeping the attackers at bay or time-crunching them is a byproduct as where both his gadget and his loadout gives him the ability to excel at map reconstruction with reasonable security.

There a few different viable tactics depending on the situation and/or obj location. Expanding the obj room with impacts and paneling doorways or 'locking down' obj in a late game.

Impacts, impacts and more impacts. Use your pals as mules if you can. Gun is nothing special but gets the job done. Slow and steady is his mo.

Hostage is great for reinforcing everything without fear of Fuse. Bomb is a good time for expansion and Bio is more of a save them for later deal. All 3 play differently but are never a problem for him. Every map has a certain way to reconstruct to where he has benefit.

None.

Anyone. I guess I could hop on the Mute, Jaeger and Bandit brigade..but..oh yea..#7.

Thatcher, Ash and of course his archenemy Sledge.

Map reconstruction and late game lockouts is his forte. I use his panels either late game or to fortify the position we just opened up with impacts/C4 during prep phase. In all instances I will normally not use the panels until his counters are either identified or verified dead. Basically just ash and sledge dies and I start looking for a clean opportunity to start locking down the uncontested side of obj. Fuse is normally not an issue due to the placements and timing.

For starters, this guy's gadget gets stronger as the game progresses. Using them up in the prep phase is probably going to be a waste and can actually have a negative affect on the teams efforts to control the zones. Hold on to them and stay alive for a few baddies to drop..then start looking at broken windows and doors to replace. Or..Use the panels in creating 'new' zones and take away map knowledge from the attacking team like I do.

He is one of the most underutilized and unrealized operator we have. Most defenders are left with nothing as soon as Thatcher rolls around and even less time if Twitch had her way. Not this guy..he has 3 solid gads that can be devastating for the attackers when used either late game or on the fly in a modified map. He is up there on my favorite defenders list and, with a good team, can be more effective than any other counterpart.

+Bonus prompt:
    He is as close to being op as you can get and in a late game 1v1 he basically is. I used to be a proponent of the Castle buff in the past, but that was before I started realizing his range of ability. I feel as though too many operators use him too early and in places that hurt rather than help. He is better in the hands of the experienced player with map knowledge and operator awareness. As such I feel any 'buffs' to the panels would grant the the resourceful and risky players an unfair advantage.

ETA: I don't mean to imply that Castle cant be improved on though. 4 panels?..double stacking? Ideas that don't require the modification of his gadget might be more 'balanced' than reworking them. Oh and thanks for Castle thread Zoro..it helps some of us recognize the inclusion of our involvement in the community, when we see our actions having a direct impact like this.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last ►►