Zoro's Avatar Community Representative

R6 Community Discusses : Border

This discussion will focus on the map Border. This series has been added to the R6 forums to facilitate discussions in the community involving operator use, gadgets and strategy that often get buried or lost in the abundance of others posts that flood the forums.

The goal of this series is to not only give new players a primer on a specific operator or map, but also for mid-level or competitive players a chance to share the knowledge that they have accrued in their experiences and maybe let people know something that they did not know before.

For this edition we will discuss Border.

Link to Border Info HERE
    Border Wiki
    Rainbow Six Complete Guide

Below are some discussion points we would like to see responses on from community members that decide to respond. Feel free to discuss other information that may be helpful to the community about this map. Posts that do not contribute to the healthy discussion of this thread will be removed.

1) In your opinion, what is the best area of the map for defenders/attackers?
    2) Which Operators shine on this map? Which operators have you struggled with here?
    3) The camera placement, how well is the map covered by defender cameras?
    4) Objective placements, which is your favorite location? Least favorite?
    5) Which game modes do you prefer on this map?
    6) Spawn locations. yay or nay on the current locations?
    7) Has this map made you play the game differently?
    8) Map layout, what do you think of the design of this map?
    9) What is something that a new player should know when playing this map?
    10) What is your overall opinion of this map? Where would you rank it among the other maps in the game?

Thanks in advance to all who share!

Links to our past discussions can be found here:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1620494-R6-Community-Discusses-All-Topics

1.attackers: almost all locations seem good places to attack, especially with the many breaching points. Defenders: None, I would prefer defending near the objectives because attackers have too many places to enter.
    2. I see this map as an attackers' map, so for attackers, I would say everyone is good. While for defenders, Mira could be a struggle here, finding very hard where to place her mirrors... other than that, it seems all defenders are good here.
    3. Almost a camera craze map like yacht... I remember rushing with 1 min left, and I have been spotted like 5 times within 1 min all because of many cameras around this map. There are 4 cams inside but they are well placed because of the small map, or slightly small map.
    4. Favourite: customs inspections, too many stuff to do around there. Least favpurite: armory, offices, tv room
    5. Hostage or bomb. Secure area is just tdm and no one just likes to execute tactics anymore.
    6. No problem. But this could be a map like bank with the potential for an airborne spawn since there is a chopper in the map.
    7. Outside cams are so valuable in this map, definitely throwing one or two before attackers come to the objective, depending on the objective... but other than that, I find it necessary to go outside in comparison to other maps, just to distract attackers and get their attention.
    8. Good. But it is not the best and there are some places which are just bad, like the big breachable wall in the tv room facing the courtyard... seriously... why that wall exists? Attackers wont even bother to breach it because they are too exposed.
    9. Go outside if you are defending, depending on which location you are, because I feel defenders have a huge advantage when attackers are still outside, unless behind huge cover. If you are attacking, get the roamers first and make the most of your prep phase because this is one map where 1 roamer can just wreck your team. Perfect attacking team for this map: Hibana, Thatcher, Thermite, Jackal, IQ or Twitch. Perfect defending team for this map: Rook, Valkyrie, Jager, Mute, Bandit.
    10. 9/10. But I never give ratings lower than 6 because always considerate. Good map, but an attacking team with not much help or coordination is just not enough. I always keep my drones alive because this map is just too dangerous the more you stay outside, if you want to stay outside, you need to keep moving. For defenders, try not to let the attackers in because once inside, it is quite difficult to stop them unless through roaming. I find intelligent roaming the best tactic for defending in this map. Fun map, but not as fun as others.. but hey... if a lot of maps are bad, why not take a decent one..

Thanks for sharing your feedback and tips Krisperfectline,

Glad you enjoy the map!

1) All places are equal in good meaning.
    2) All are ok, even Tachanka. But Kapkan is top1 here in defence, on day version of the map - there are places where you can't see the trap laser at all. This is literally the only map in the game where I can play any attacker or defender operator.
    3) They are ok.
    4) All places are ok, I like them all except customs house.
    5) Secure area.
    6) They are all ok, even that bottom one, where you can get killed by spawn killer. I still like that spawn place despite that fact - since you have the same chance to kill that spawn killer and instantly reduce enemy numbers by 1.
    7) Not really. Except the fact that starting from this map I actually started to care about murder holes on ceilings.
    8) The design is excelent. Both teams have equal chances on this map no matter what game mode it is or objective placement. This is a rare case for all your "DLC" maps, exceptional, particularly this one.
    9) Watch out for ceilings and be careful at bottom spawn point - you can be killed in 1st two seconds of the round there, if you are an attacker.
    10) This is the best DLC map yet. It is well balanced by any mean: it has adequate logic behind all breachable surfaces; both attackers and defenders have no extreme advantages here; overall map layout is believable - no strange areas like at Skyscraper or Yaht, or Favelas, or Penthouse, it is playable and realistic at the same time.

I'd rate this map #2 in my chart. #1 is House. Both of these have good design, they are thought out, they are small but not simple and have alot of variations of encounters, no matter what game mode it is.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts B34RM4ST3R,

It's nice to hear that you feel the map is very balanced! What you said about Kapkan has me thinking...

Also, any reason that Secure Area is your favorite on this map?

Originally Posted by Ubi-Zoro Go to original post
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts B34RM4ST3R,

It's nice to hear that you feel the map is very balanced! What you said about Kapkan has me thinking...

Also, any reason that Secure Area is your favorite on this map?
    Hostage is ok but my teammates tend to pick Fuze since matchmaking is bad and I, clearance level over 200, always being connected with people who are 50, but we are still at the same league, and either they don't know game features or just being unaware that they are playing hostage right now. Anyways, there is always a person who can kill the hostage in the dumbest way. I don't mind defending hostage though.

Defuse mode is kinda bad on every map because at almost every position there is one bomb that is placed near outside zone which makes gameplay repetitive and decreases overall diversity.
    Take that "customs house" zone for example, or that one which is nearby and called "workshop" if I'm not mistaken - every single round attackers tend to place the defuser right beneath the 1st window which leads outside. Workshop is easier and more interesting to defend in that matter since you can make a murder hole at ceiling thus blocking attackers completely, so they are forced to clear out the 2nd floor or go to the other bomb which brings at least some diversity.

I'd suggest to move all bombs (those which are closest to outside zone) on every map deeper into the building or remove one and keep that one which is always "inside" the building.
     1 people found this helpful

WBBCoop's Avatar Senior Member
    This map is the best one as far as reshaping goes..so it automatically ranks #1 for me.

You can do some crazy stuff here and reminds me of House on steroids. Cams are set fine and nothing is limited to nothing here. I will say that IQ does at least have fun on this map more than others for the simple fact that you can shoot through floors (ceilings) accept the hot tub tiled room. I really cant say much more (gotta go) other than whatever you do you should do it as a team. They said Favela is the most destructive but this one seems much more because of how much modification you can do.

2 thumbs up (that's all I own)
     1 people found this helpful

Lockers is always the first pick. It's easy to defend and attack, so it depends on the team's communication and skills.
    2) Which Operators shine on this map? Which operators have you struggled with here?
    Blackbeard was born for this map. He can take over the rooms from outside. If someone challenges him, they're done (thanks god he was patched). Pulse and Valk are very needed defenders since this map has a lot of verticality.
    All the cameras are good. If Attackers destroy them, that's ok. If don't, that's their fault. A good Valkyrie will take care of the outsides.
    4) Objective placements, which is your favorite location? Least favorite?
    Lockers is excellent. Offices is pretty good. My least favorite location is tellers, since it can get rushed really easy. It's defensible anyway!
    Bombs with my team. Secure the Area when I'm playing alone. I also enjoy Hostage too!
    They are cool. I always pick the one behind tellers since not too many people tries to kill you there.
    Yes. My attack is really slow since I pick BB for this map. I distract the defenders making them think they can kill me, while my friend is rushing with ash from behind. I works 90% of the times.
    I really like it.
    You can get killed from below. The floor is pretty much destructible. WATCH OUT FOR PULSE!
    10) What is your overall opinion of this map? Where would you rank it among the other maps in the game?
    One of my favorites. It has place to test new strategies or just rush and get the win. This map is opened to any kind of players.

If I had to say something I don't like about this map, that would be the fact that getting outside the building is not only too easy, but most of the time the best option. This map rewords too well those players who get outside every 5 seconds until they get the kill. On consoles it's pretty hard to fight those M&K peakers players...

TypeTen's Avatar Member
    Defenders - it has to be Workshop. It's nice and big. Loads of roam-friendly walls and spaces just around it, but every entrance is internal; no walls or windows that back out directly to the outside.
    Attackers - Tellers. It's far too easy to push in and plant/cap. Two walls is too many, but one is too few. It should just be moved out to outside tellers in the atrium.

Attackers/Good - Buck is the man with all of the plans on this map. No floor or ceiling is safe from him. IQ is also in her element, being able to snipe most devices from above or below with relative ease. Just watch out for Caviare or other roamers.
    Attackers/Bad - Fuze; he's pretty middle-ground, but if they're upstairs then you've suddenly got a LOT fewer options to charge. The verticality can also prove problematic for shield bearers, so watch your angles in the atrium and near the stairs, also keep an eye out for holes in floors and ceilings.

Defenders/Good - Valk's cams can be a good way to get intel on other floors without the need of actual presence. If you've got a mate you can have them running around above the cams with activity and ping for some nice kills through the floors and ceilings. That's my personal preference over having a Pulse, but he also excels here.
    Defenders/Bad - Mute and Bandit are very easily countered due to the, once again, floors and ceilings, so keep an eye out if you play them.

Wouldn't know, actually. They die far too fast to be of any use.

4) Objective placements, which is your favourite location? Least favourite?
    Favourite - Workshop. It's honestly the best area of the map.
    Least Favourite - Tellers / CCTV Room. Mainly tellers, though. Both are just really boring rooms. Tellers is a terrible place to defend, and CCTV is just... off? It's a weird room. Don't like it.

Control > Bomb > Hostage (Hostage's place in that list goes for every map, it's just a crap game type)

All of them could do with something right in front of them at the start for cover against people breaking out and sprinting into sight at the start of the round. Give us stuff to fight around, to hide behind, and some more choice on which side to slip out from. So yay on placement, nay on setup.

Not really. House already made me hyper aware of verticality, but if this map had been out prior to House, then this would have filled it's place.

Brown. The design is brown. Layout wise, I want maybe the roof to have more access points that aren't windows or balconies. Not just that one drop in in the open area/atrium.

How to look up and down. A lot of newbies come into the game looking slightly down constantly for centre mass, which is fine, but then they never look anywhere but left and right. that's an easy way to miss the best bits of this map, and also your assailants.

It's not as bad as Bank, Consulate, Yacht, Oregon, or ESPECIALLY Club House. So it's at least 6th from last.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and feedback!

I'm glad to see Border is one of our higher rated maps, for the most part at least, and we appreciate the suggestions some of you have made on changes you'd like to see!

One more day before our next discussion, feel free to continue to share!