Learning to fly this plane is my recent new project. So far I seem to be getting mixed results. For one, I noticed that my SA has totally gone out the window when flying this plane( well any 109 really). I loose track of targets and enemies and there always seems to be someone parked on my six. For some reason I always fry the engine after using WEP for just a few seconds so I must be missing something concerning its proper use on this airplane. Also I cant get the aircraft to go faster than 500 KPH in level flight at any altitude without using WEP ( this is with the radiators closed) and when I do use WEP I end up frying the engine within seconds. This is even with the radiators completely open .
    The planes that give me the most grief online are the LA-7 series. So I would like to know what are some of the tactics you experienced 109 drivers use against them. I've already learned not to get into a turn fight with them down low and I dont seem to be able to escape from them once they lock onto my six. I try to exploit the climb of the 109k but the La-7 is sticking with me like glue. So 109k drivers or 109 drivers in general please educate me and send me in the proper direction for mastering this airplane. BTW I usually fly the P-51 or P-39q-10 so the 109k feels totally wiered to me. Thanx in advance for your assistance.

Osiris_X9

Learning to fly this plane is my recent new project. So far I seem to be getting mixed results. For one, I noticed that my SA has totally gone out the window when flying this plane( well any 109 really). I loose track of targets and enemies and there always seems to be someone parked on my six. For some reason I always fry the engine after using WEP for just a few seconds so I must be missing something concerning its proper use on this airplane. Also I cant get the aircraft to go faster than 500 KPH in level flight at any altitude without using WEP ( this is with the radiators closed) and when I do use WEP I end up frying the engine within seconds. This is even with the radiators completely open .
    The planes that give me the most grief online are the LA-7 series. So I would like to know what are some of the tactics you experienced 109 drivers use against them. I've already learned not to get into a turn fight with them down low and I dont seem to be able to escape from them once they lock onto my six. I try to exploit the climb of the 109k but the La-7 is sticking with me like glue. So 109k drivers or 109 drivers in general please educate me and send me in the proper direction for mastering this airplane. BTW I usually fly the P-51 or P-39q-10 so the 109k feels totally wiered to me. Thanx in advance for your assistance.

Osiris_X9

You must cut the throttle before turning the MW-50 injection (the WEP) on or off.

one way of doing it is turn the wep on when on the ground before engine start. the MW50 boost doesn't actually kick in until you go past 100% throttle.

fly with the rad on auto, fight with the rad at 2. every oppurtinity (in between fights) cut back to 80-90% throttle and open the radiators to cool the engine. once its cool go back to auto. and you're good to go.

www.jg53.com

F19_Ob's Avatar Senior Member
    I only fly online nowadays and prefer the 109 K variant coz it can more easily take out a fighter with a single burst compared to the early variants.

Only problem is that the opponents are equal or better in performance. for example yak3 and La7.
    If u are caught at low altitude U most likely are finished if the foe is an ace, and u will have a hard time against average pilots since the performance of theseplanes is very good.
    U cant escape from the yak3 on low altitude since his engine will not overheat as quickly and he conserves speed alot better.

I know that many use the 109 strictly as a BnZoomer but historically and in the litterature it was as much used as a turner, and it does have quite good turn for a very limited time since the turn bleeds so much speed.

Many of the online 109 aces are excellent in using this one turn to draw the proper deflection and since they are equally good at deflectionshooting they hit most of the time.

Ofcourse this is risktaking on a high level bcause if u miss that single shot u are at the defensive at low speed = unfavorable. Those who get shot down by the yak3 or La7 often do so after above situation= missed their shot.

So what im trying to say is : the 109 is a good bnz almost close to fw190 but those who also master turning and highangle deflectionshooting will get more actual opportunities to shot at enemies.

If u get caught below 2000m by a yak3 or La7 try using clouds to get away. next best option is heading for friendlies nearby or if u have any chance at all to maneuver for scissoring to get some sort of a head on u might have a chanse.

The 2 best deflectionangles to practice on is the 90 degree angle and the "semi headon" or "almost headon" ,since this is what u will see the most in dogfights.

I often give the advice to practice online from the start since the opponents are trying hard to evade u. The best way to see if ur deflectionshooting is improving is to quickrecord Ur sessions and study the tracks.
    If your tracers go ahead of the target, good you're getting there. If they go behind u need a lot more practice.

Also to note is when u are learning on the K4 it takes some time to get good at tracking and guessing where the enemy is bcause of the very bad visibility.

Another good tip is to learn energysaving turns without combat flap. for example I have attacked climbing enemies succesfully that started their climb on higher altitude . I climbed after with full power and aplying combat flap only the last seconds before drawing deflection. this way u get the most of the climb.

p1ngu666's Avatar Senior Member
    engage wep at low rpm, i normaly start engine, flick the rads open, once engine has started and smoke cleared, i engage wep at idle, then floor it
    i use wep all the time, wouldnt the ground crew love me

Hey guys thanx allot for the advice. I tried your advice about the WEP , and all I can say is WOW the 109K has allot of kick. She is a little beefy above 400kph, but I can get used to that. It should take no time now to get to understand this bird. I practiced against the La-7 ace Ai in quick combat and kicked his behind nine times out of ten. I didn't bother to turn with the thing, I just used the 109ks climbing talents and kept the fight totally vertical. I kept that La-7 in a inferior position with ease. Now I will return to my practice and get ready for the real challenge.. The Human La-7 pilots.

Osiris_X9

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    Human La-7 pilots fall for the same tricks

- IceFire

looks like you are already getting the idea...

might add: go in fast, shoot ...go out fast...

the yaks can outturn you with ease, but they are quite a bit slower, so stay fast...

Las seem more dangerous to me to the K4 then Yaks because they have slightly better speed then K4 and can climb like hell too... but they are only equal in climb up to 2000 m, so stay higher then 2000 for a DF if possible, drag them high, fight in the vertical (as you found out).

I do even like to keep the radiator fully open as soon as i start a DF, the drag is no problem as long as speed is not needed but climbing and long drawn immelmanns etc. , i just close them if i have to run...

If you are followed by yaks do a SHALLOW outclimbing. A steep spiral climb used to work in FB 1.0, but not any more, but a shallow climb is a climb where you keep your speed and just change the bit of extra energy your K4 puts out into height.

Another good but also dangerous trick: Use manual proppitch while climbing, choose 85%, it improoves climb rate substantially, but watch your rpm closely, you can fry your engine in seconds if you let get it too high...experiment with that...

And last but not least, give it a bit of flaps every once in a while, not for sustained turns as it will burn your energy and you can still not turn with the russians...but if you have speed surplus it gives you the one turn deflection you need...also helps on top of loops...

For worst case: K4 is not too bad at scissoring...all 109 can brake quickly and make yaks and Las overshoot, ever heard of "stall turn" ? Learn to use deliberate stalling to reverse...its a very practical maneuvre on a 109 and allows seemingly impossible reversals at time...

But in general: KEEP YOUR E HIGH !!

Yours,
    II/JG54_Zent