Woof603's Avatar Senior Member
    Sorry, I know this has been discussed before, but why does the YP80 engine keep quitting? Thanks for any info.

Sorry, I know this has been discussed before, but why does the YP80 engine keep quitting? Thanks for any info.

What do you mean?You mean like when you start on QMB and the engien is dieing? YOu just need to put power and it will work fine.

==============================
    *Forums*SimHQ|Netwings|IL2 WebSite
    *Essentials*IrFanView|HyperLobby|UberDemon
    *Cool Stuff*Mudmovers|Il2 FB Movies|Il2 FB Skins|IL2 FB Data base
    *Downloads*SpyBot SD|SpywareBlaster|OmegaCorner Drivers
    *Server*Upload images here
    ==============================

Korolov's Avatar Senior Member
    You have to move the throttles slowly like on the Me-262, or it'll flame out.

Zyzbot's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Woof603:

http://www.spaads.org/denmark/spsabre.JPG <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

it does seem a bit more sensitive than the other jets. I had it die on take off once even though I was careful to advance the throttle slowly.

Thanks, guys. I guess it's just supersensitive. I could've sworn I wasn't even moving the throttle. I'll take off my boxing gloves next time.

Didn't early jet engines spool-up (and down) very slowly? Flameouts in the Shooting Star caused the deaths of a couple of USAAF aces -- including Bong. Perhaps the FMs were designed to show this characteristic.

Flying jets in the late 40's was hazardous. Don Gentile was a test pilot for the P-80 and encountered the flameout problem once, and later was killed in a T-33 (though I can't recall the cause). I've read that alloys used for the fan blaces in the late 40's also tended to fracture and break under the heat and speed of a jet turbine.

There is no 'way' of winning;
    There is only Winning!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DONB3397:
    Didn't early jet engines spool-up (and down) very slowly? Flameouts in the Shooting Star caused the deaths of a couple of USAAF aces -- including Bong. Perhaps the FMs were designed to show this characteristic.

Flying jets in the late 40's was hazardous. Don Gentile was a test pilot for the P-80 and encountered the flameout problem once, and later was killed in a T-33 (though I can't recall the cause). I've read that alloys used for the fan blaces in the late 40's also tended to fracture and break under the heat and speed of a jet turbine.

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/3fe77b7e...IuMVAB.EuILZQo
    There is no 'way' of winning;
    There is only Winning!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Loosing turbine blades happened often with the early jets, but rarely with catastrophic results.
    Flame outs and the bad handling (due to enormous fuselage fuel tanks) were the major causes for accidents in the early days of jets.

I thought it was just me. Sometimes I experience flameouts after 10 mins. or so flying the YP-80 and I can fly the 262 so I wonder if this is not modelling of RL?...or just my usual, you know, pilot error.

I lose all power and cannot re-start the engine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RobertNighthawk:
    I thought it was just me. Sometimes I experience flameouts after 10 mins. or so flying the YP-80 and I can fly the 262 so I wonder if this is not modelling of RL?...or just my usual, you know, pilot error.

I lose all power and cannot re-start the engine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what's happening to me. And it wasn't like that in real life, at least not in the T33. I had a few hours in it prior to checking out in the F86 and we had no problems with flame outs.